cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

progressive industries ems-pt30x E3 error code

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pretty new to the RV world and my progressive industries ems-pt30x has been gibving an E3 error code at the last couple of parks. Can these four parks all be wired wrong? And they are in 3 different states. Any suggestions? And no I don't have a voltage meter, even if I knew how to use one properly.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
11 REPLIES 11

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
1st, I am assuming you have a voltage read out on the unit. My internal Progressive does. If so, what are the voltages. If you don't check the post with a VOM. There should be some indication of error codes in your manual. If the unit it internal to the coach, like mine you can adjust the pots inside if they are reading the voltage incorrectly. Check with Progressive before you do this, as I am not with my coach now and don't remember which pot is which. If this is necessary and you have a read out be sure you synchronize the voltage of the LED with that of the incoming voltage to your coach at your fuse box.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Before you make any phone calls meter the cconnection.

That of course is good advice BUT the OP already said in his opening post - "And no I don't have a voltage meter, even if I knew how to use one properly." ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
garmp wrote:
Pretty new to the RV world and my progressive industries ems-pt30x has been gibving an E3 error code at the last couple of parks.

So when you see this E3 error code you never said whether your EMS disconnects power to your rig as it was designed to do. :h If yes then your EMS is working as it should, if no then you need to talk to Progressive. FWIW, the voltage the meter displays can be adjusted with an internal trim pot BUT it's just the metering that's being adjusted and doesn't affect the unit's low voltage or high voltage threshold which are fixed at 104 vac & 132 vac respectively. Here's a pic showing the blue trim pot at the top left in my own EMS-HW30C which is the hard wire version of your portable EMS-PT30X.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Before you make any phone calls meter the cconnection.

ON a 50 amp outlet the side to top (or bottom) should be 120 volts
Side to side 240

IF one of the sides shows like 140 and the other 100.. Open neutral.
Note you will have to meter UNDER LOAD.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
Is it new? Mine came from the factory adjusted incorrectly and I had the same exact problem. I called them and they had me adjust it to what my volt meter was reading.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
132 volts is very unusual but can happen. But 4 parks in different states is next to impossible. Best thing is verifying with a voltmeter. Don't think I've heard of a PI EMS reading consistently high like that. A bad connection won't do that on 30 amps, 120 volts.

A multi-meter is a good tool to have in an RV. A permanently mounted LED display mini-panel meter is great too. It's a good idea to keep tabs on CG voltage. The EMS will shut you down but it helps to know what the voltage is trending at. If it gets too low, I drag out our Hughes autoformer. Have yet to see more than 121 - 122 volts in 7 states or Canada.

A call to PI is in order tho.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Verify the E3 high voltage with a meter to determine if the PI needs service.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the fast replies. If it ever stops raining I'll try the hair dryer trick. Otherwise we will be home tomorrow & Monday I'll call Progressive. The unit is less than a year old, I'll see what they say.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
E-3 indicates high voltage above 132 volts.error code chart
A neutral issue would be my first thing to look at.
Make sure your connections are good.
132 on an open circuit would not scream at me. Once load is placed on line it could drop quickly. Plug a hair dryer into the standard receptacle and then try you ems

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
e-3 Line 1 voltage too high (Per PI's web site)

Google: Progressive EMS Error Code E3
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
garmp wrote:
Pretty new to the RV world and my progressive industries ems-pt30x has been gibving an E3 error code at the last couple of parks. Can these four parks all be wired wrong? And they are in 3 different states. Any suggestions? And no I don't have a voltage meter, even if I knew how to use one properly.

Call progressive tech support. You may have a defective surge protector.