Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Fridge on propane while driving
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

 > Fridge on propane while driving

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

Senior Member

Joined: 11/27/2005

View Profile



Posted: 06/16/19 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old guy, I think you should disconnect the electricity, water and natural gas from your house because that stuff is all dangerous and will eventually fail and kill you!

I mean, how many times have you read about a house burning down and the fire inspector says after the fact that it was caused by an electrical short? I’ll tell you exactly how many times.......lots! I don’t even need to be on the fire department for 30 years to know that.

And that natural gas, did you know you can’t even see it? It’s invisible! That right there is proof of how dangerous it is. Anything that sneaks around and won’t let you see it is up to something I tell you!

Don’t even get me started about water. That stuff can kill you so many ways it’s not even funny. If you don’t drink enough of it, your dead. If you drink too much, your just as dead. It can drown you, and it can conduct electricity, so therefore water can electrocute you too. I bet you didn’t know that, did you?

I’m going back to bed and pulling the covers over my head now.

[emoticon][emoticon]


2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450


sayoung

Tx

Senior Member

Joined: 09/17/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/16/19 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We run ours. We were on the road Friday for over 9 hours so yes we keep propane on.
I will say have been thinking about getting an inverter & wiring to my transfer switch I installed but don't use anymore.

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

Senior Member

Joined: 07/26/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/16/19 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been running on propane for 30 years with no problems , but, I also stay at Wal-Marts with out asking permission and I do not have a TPMS on my tires . WOW how did I last so long .

Turtle n Peeps

California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/23/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/16/19 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

old guy wrote:

I am the RV doctor and the guy from tv education 101 say leave it off. I was on the fire dept for 30 years and fought several rv fires that started in the back of the fridge because they thought it would never happen to them. come to my town and see the new rebuilt gas station we have because of a motor home fridge was left on and he gassed up and burned the place down and a ups truck refueling next to him. there are some tunnels back east that tell you to turn off your propane when going through the tunnel. must be a good reason for that, right?? In my mind there are a lot of people who think it's ok because they have gotten away with it for years. their turn is coming. Murphy will see to that. I use freezable ice packs to put int he fridge between the food when I travel and at night when sleeping I refreeze the packs for the next travel day


I rarely ever post here anymore because of all the jackarses but this kind of stuff needs to be responded to.

First, in an accident when the PP lines are ruptured, the tanks will shut the flow OFF.
Second, I have TWO career fireman living in my neighbor hood. One is a retired Captain and the other is currently a Commander. I talked to both of them in depth about this subject and in their combinded 60+ years of experience, they had NEVER seen an RV fire caused by a fridge. Many eng fires that burned rigs to the ground but NO FRIDGES.
Third, RV fridge fires were caused by manufacturing defect MORE THAN TEN YEARS AGO. Unless you have one of those fridges and have refused to get the FREE safety recall done, your chances of having a fridge fire are astronomical.
Finally, tunnels, ferrys, etc want people to turn of the propane period. This has nothing to do with RV fridges at all.

Now you can flame me all you want, I have no respect for you because of the outdated and made-up nonsense you spread but folks need to know the truth.


Great post Scott. I was going to type something like you did but you beat me to it and did a much better job of explaining things.

The only thing I can add is the reason they want the propane turned off on ferry's is because propane it heavier than air and if an RV has a leak that propane will sink to the lowest part of the boat and if it finds an ignition source it will go boom. As you said, this has nothing to do with the propane on going down the road.

OP, our hobby involves driving down the road. Over 30 thousand people die in our roads each and every year. 30 THOUSAND! A fridge fire is the last thing you need to worry about with what we do.


~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~


"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln


Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/16/19 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

path1 wrote:

Very seldom anymore. $25.00 wireless temperature gauge tossed on dash. I can keep eye on temps. I can go all day driving in most weather without it running. Guess depends on fridg/freezer.


Why? To save the $0.25 of propane or just like watching fridge temps?

So far we've got 1 no, 1 I'm not sure what, contradicted himself. 1 rarely. Who cares picks side of the fence and the rest yes.
For the no, maybe and confused, please tell the rest of the class what makes it more dangerous than running when stationary? Or do you just believe propane is out to get you?


"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

path1

Varies with weather

Senior Member

Joined: 04/19/2012

View Profile



Posted: 06/16/19 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

path1 wrote:

Very seldom anymore. $25.00 wireless temperature gauge tossed on dash. I can keep eye on temps. I can go all day driving in most weather without it running. Guess depends on fridg/freezer.


Why? To save the $0.25 of propane or just like watching fridge temps?

So far we've got 1 no, 1 I'm not sure what, contradicted himself. 1 rarely. Who cares picks side of the fence and the rest yes.
For the no, maybe and confused, please
tell the rest of the class what makes it more dangerous than running when stationary? Or do you just believe propane is out to get you?


Actually the truth is my wife can see the temps for herself. Seems whenever we would stop, as soon as we get going again she would ask if I checked what the temps were, because she forgot to look Got tired of it.

hotjag1

Lake Chelan, Wa/Lake Havasu, Az.

Senior Member

Joined: 07/14/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/16/19 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

old guy wrote:

I am the RV doctor and the guy from tv education 101 say leave it off. I was on the fire dept for 30 years and fought several rv fires that started in the back of the fridge because they thought it would never happen to them. come to my town and see the new rebuilt gas station we have because of a motor home fridge was left on and he gassed up and burned the place down and a ups truck refueling next to him. there are some tunnels back east that tell you to turn off your propane when going through the tunnel. must be a good reason for that, right?? In my mind there are a lot of people who think it's ok because they have gotten away with it for years. their turn is coming. Murphy will see to that. I use freezable ice packs to put int he fridge between the food when I travel and at night when sleeping I refreeze the packs for the next travel day


I rarely ever post here anymore because of all the jackarses but this kind of stuff needs to be responded to.

First, in an accident when the PP lines are ruptured, the tanks will shut the flow OFF.
Second, I have TWO career fireman living in my neighbor hood. One is a retired Captain and the other is currently a Commander. I talked to both of them in depth about this subject and in their combinded 60+ years of experience, they had NEVER seen an RV fire caused by a fridge. Many eng fires that burned rigs to the ground but NO FRIDGES.
Third, RV fridge fires were caused by manufacturing defect MORE THAN TEN YEARS AGO. Unless you have one of those fridges and have refused to get the FREE safety recall done, your chances of having a fridge fire are astronomical.
Finally, tunnels, ferrys, etc want people to turn of the propane period. This has nothing to do with RV fridges at all.

Now you can flame me all you want, I have no respect for you because of the outdated and made-up nonsense you spread but folks need to know the truth.


I totally agree with you ScottG. I think quite a few people don't know that the tanks will shut the flow of propane off if the lines are ruptured.


hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata


Cocky_Camper

Rock Hill, SC

Senior Member

Joined: 12/02/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/16/19 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We run it. We just stop and turn it off before going near fuel pumps and leave before turning it back on.


2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

dave54

Northeast CA.

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2004

View Profile



Posted: 06/16/19 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hotjag1 wrote:



I totally agree with you ScottG. I think quite a few people don't know that the tanks will shut the flow of propane off if the lines are ruptured.


Supposed to.

In a violent crash they do not always shut off. Or were defective. Personal experience. Seen it twice in a 32 year career in fire.

How many RVs passed through my area in a 32 year career? Hundreds of thousands? Millions? I cannot even WAG. So a line rupture and fire is quite rare, but possible.

The risk is extremely low, but not zero. Having said that, I usually travel with mine on. I also occasionally practice an emergency total shutdown of my rig including battery disconnect and tank shutoff -- just to see how fast I can do it.


=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

sgfrye

north carolina

Senior Member

Joined: 06/27/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/17/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

travel with it on....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

 > Fridge on propane while driving
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS