cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do airbags help?

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pulling a 22 ft TT for the 1st time w/my 2018 F150 2 rear WD. I have a Anderson WDH. Has anyone added air bags to their truck and does it help that much. I have to really tighten the chains to bring the rear end of the truck up so the front end comes down and doesn't float when towing.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD
13 REPLIES 13

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I get less bounce with the Andersen than I did with my other WD, but some roads still cause porpoising. Sometimes, changing speed helps.
When I set them up for the Silverado, I used the tongue jack to raise everything to make it easier to adjust the nut. Then I tightened it one turn, let it all back down and remeasured. Kept it up until the truck sat properly. I did this with the truck unloaded. If I have a lot of stuff in the bed, Iโ€™ll usually make another half turn from โ€œnormalโ€.
The chains on mine are so tight that they feel like a solid piece of steel.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
The chains are supposed to be tight. How much are you compressing the urethane bushing? Should be about 1/4โ€ or so, if I remember correctly. I raise the tongue and truck with the jack to make it easy to adjust the tension nut. I have about 600# on the tongue and have no problem returning the front end to spec.
Do you know the tongue weight?

Tongue wt is approx 550 # and I can't get the front end down to spec, I'll try more tension on the chains to see if that helps. I get a fairly smooth towing on smooth roads, but it can bounce on a rough road. Is that normal?
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks, he has an Andersen hitch. It doesnโ€™t have bars and uses a tensioned chain instead. Whole different animal than hitches with bars.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't sound like you would benefit at all from airbags. Is your entire truck and trailer level with the bars on? Maybe some time with a tape measure and some adjustments are in order.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
The chains are supposed to be tight. How much are you compressing the urethane bushing? Should be about 1/4โ€ or so, if I remember correctly. I raise the tongue and truck with the jack to make it easy to adjust the tension nut. I have about 600# on the tongue and have no problem returning the front end to spec.
Do you know the tongue weight?
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Ford manual says to return the FRONT to 1/2 as much as it changed before and after the trailer is on the ball. If the rear is then sagged too much, add additional spring to the rear (air bags for example) to return the rear to a reasonable height.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
How are you setting your WD bars on the trailer? Do you just plop the tongue on and then try to set the WD bars, or do you plop the tongue on and then LIFT it up with the tongue jack to get the weight off the hitch and then set the bars?

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Air bags will help overall. However I wouldn't depend on the bags to transfer weight. Bags can lesson rear spring compression and rebound

I pull a 10k car hauler with a 7400 lb blue tractor with the wifes 1500 chevy. I went with Sumo springs which helps stiffen up the rear spring pack. What I like about the Sumo is I can remove them in about 3 min when I don't need them for a stock ride. I thought about bags but for my use 6-7 times a year didn't make cents/sense for me.
My Husky Centerline TS WD hitch brings the trucks front down to normal ride height.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
You really need to have the right hitch componets for the weight and know how much you are really transfering back to the front of the tow rig. Air bags mostly cause more problems than they do good. You have to set them up before hitch set up is done.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
If you are overloaded, air bags won't change that.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œI have to really tighten the chains to bring the rear end of the truck up so the front end comes down and doesn't float when towing.โ€

I believe you are seeking to be level for looks. And TVโ€™s your payload is? Must be a very light duty F150. Air bags wonโ€™t increase your payload. โ€œShiftingโ€ weight doesnโ€™t increase payload either.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Its going to be one heck of a rough ride with airbags, especially if you pump them up to raise the rear end more than 2" or so.

Be better to remove tongue weight from the trailer.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Air bags don't transfer weight to the front. They'll stiffen the rear but that still doesn't change the dynamics any.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZu39pQ8Gg&feature=youtu.be