Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Myrtle Beach

Saint_Augustine
Explorer
Explorer
Hi:
Looking for a good campground and advise about Myrtle Beach. We have a class B but would like a campground that makes Myrtle Beach shows, restaurants, and other attractions convenient. Looking to be there in early July and it would be after the 4th. Plan to stay for 4 nights.
Thanks for any advise.
Bob
19 REPLIES 19

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another plus for Hunting Beach is Murrells Inlet is real close, good restaurants there.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
pbeverly wrote:
I would recommend Huntington Beach State Park. A little further south but still an easy drive to any of the attractions in MB. It has the best beach in the area. Decades ago they built a jetty to control beach erosion in MB. Didn't work. All the sand they dump on MB beaches finds its way to Huntington Beach, so the beach is getting bigger.

I like MB State Park, but it is MUCH busier. It is also on the flight path for the airport. So around 6AM the jets starting coming and going. They are either landing or taking off right over the park and quite low at that point.

However, it is late to schedule anything this year. I was looking last week at all the coastal parks for sites in 2020, and the pickings are already slim for next year.

X2 on all of that.
Larry

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Forget Myrtle Beach, come to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. Lots of shows and good food here.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pawz4me wrote:
Terryallan wrote:

Still no beach. Honestly, and I know everyone has their tastes. But for most of us. the only reason to go to the beach, is for the beach. I want to be able to step out of my RV, and onto the beach. If I had to stay more than 50 yards from the beach. I would rather be in the mountains.

And when we say we are going to the beach. We don't mean lake.

This year we are going to the OBX. What time we will not be on the beach, will be spent on the deck looking out over the ocean. Watching the moon come up out of the ocean, and watching the sun rise out of the ocean as well. What could be better.

Here's the thing, though. Everything is not about the ones responding. I assume original posters word things the way they do for a reason. The OP here said nothing about beach, but did mention being convenient to shows, other attractions and restaurants. Had he specifically said beachfront I wouldn't have mentioned Willow Tree (I was the first person on this thread to mention it). He did not specify that was important. Now maybe it is and he just assumed people knew he wanted ocean front. But being from St. Augustine I'm guessing the ocean isn't a unique, unusual thing for him and that perhaps he was going to MB for other reasons. Like the shows, restaurants and other attractions he did mention.

I am just of the opinion that when someone asks about a beach town. they want to go to the beach. After all. with out the beach. Myrtle would not exist. But that is just me.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:

Still no beach. Honestly, and I know everyone has their tastes. But for most of us. the only reason to go to the beach, is for the beach. I want to be able to step out of my RV, and onto the beach. If I had to stay more than 50 yards from the beach. I would rather be in the mountains.

This year we are going to the OBX. What time we will not be on the beach, will be spent on the deck looking out over the ocean. Watching the moon come up out of the ocean, and watching the sun rise out of the ocean as well. What could be better.

Here's the thing, though. Everything is not about the ones responding. I assume original posters word things the way they do for a reason. The OP here said nothing about beach, but did mention being convenient to shows, other attractions and restaurants. Had he specifically said beachfront I wouldn't have mentioned Willow Tree (I was the first person on this thread to mention it). He did not specify that was important. Now maybe it is and he just assumed people knew he wanted ocean front. But being from St. Augustine I'm guessing the ocean isn't a unique, unusual thing for him and that perhaps he was going to MB for other reasons. Like the shows, restaurants and other attractions he did mention.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
RGar974417 wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
dpgllg wrote:
jayco304 wrote:
If you don't need to be on the beach you can try Willow Tree inland.+

Willowtree is a 1st class campground with the only negatives no cable TV and a slow internet connection.

Dave

And no beach
Well, they do have a beach. It's on a lake,not the ocean. About 20 of the sites have their own hot tubs.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
dpgllg wrote:
jayco304 wrote:

Willowtree is a 1st class campground with the only negatives no cable TV and a slow internet connection.

Dave

And no beach
Well, they do have a beach. It's on a lake,not the ocean. About 20 of the sites have their own hot tubs.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
dpgllg wrote:
jayco304 wrote:

Dave

And no beach
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
jayco304 wrote:

This campground is North off of Route 9. Take Route 9 east until you reach Route 31. 31 is an expressway that goes all the way south to the south end of Myrtle Beach in the area of the big 3 oceanside campgrounds. You can take the various exits to reach whatever shopping, dining or shows that you want.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

mlburst
Explorer
Explorer
Cypress Camping Resort is on the Intracoastal Waterway on the south end of Myrtle Beach - you may find a site available at this late date.

Beautiful setting on the waterway and great owners.
Mike & Joanna
Myrtle Beach SC/Port Charlotte FL
"Any-timers" since Dec 2010
2010 Heartland Sundance 2900MK
2012 Ford F250 Lariat King Ranch CC 6.7L Diesel
Heartland Owners Club #1452
Escapees #99187

jayco304
Explorer
Explorer
Please visit www.cram-a-lot-inn.com to learn more about our travel adventures.

2000 F350 7.3PSD
2010 Jayco 324BHDS Travel Trailer

Saint_Augustine
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks for all of the suggestions. We will now begin our search.
Bob

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
pbeverly wrote:
I would recommend Huntington Beach State Park. A little further south but still am easy drive to any of the attractions in MB. It has the best beach in the area. Decades ago they built a jetty to keep control beach erosion in MB. Didn't work. All the sand they dump on MB beaches finds its way to Huntington Beach, so the beach is getting bigger.

I like MB State Park, but it is MUCH busier. It is also on the flight path for the airport. So around 6AM the jets starting coming and going. They are either landing or taking off right over the park and quite low at that point.

However, it is late to schedule anything this year. I was looking last week at all the coastal parks for sites in 2020, and the pickings are already slim for next year.

Huntington Beach SP is our favorite too. Myrtle Beach SP is our 2nd favorite. Both are much quieter and less hazardous than the cgs with golf carts running all over everyone.

my thoughts exactly

MOD'S EDIT: I fixed the quote for you.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the state parks.
If you like megaparks (ie, you are bringing kids), Lakewood and Ocean Lakes.
If you like more...ahem, senior time, Myrtle Beach Travel Park.
Personally, I thought Apache was a dump. Maybe they've spruced it up since I drove thru it. But it does have that pier to fish from.

And as said, you Really want to work on those reservations for that time frame.