cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much weight is too much?

Bob3Putt
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 RAM 5.7 Megacab which has a rated towing capacity of 11,150 lbs. I have been pulling a 10,950 lb Cedar Creek trailer for 7 years with it. Fully loaded the gross weight of my trailer is around 11,400 lbs. I have had no problems pulling it from New York to Seattle and up and down every steep pass in 5 states. I feel like the tow guides are a little conservitive and you can probably get away with pulling a somewhat heavier trailer than the truck is rated for. But now I am looking at getting a new 11,500 lb trailer. Fully loaded that would make it around 11,900 lbs. So I am wondering just how much weight I can safely pull. Am I safe in pulling 11,900 lbs with a truck rated for 11,150 lbs or is the extra 600 lbs going to be too much for my truck?
78 REPLIES 78

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have links to even *1* lawsuit against an overweight RV combination?

A very common scare tactic here - go over 1 lb of a powertrain warranty driven "tow rating", you'll be sued till your wife and kids are living in the park...

4x4ord brings up a good point - if I overload my Corvette (easy with 440 lbs payload), and stopped in 110' from 60mph, instead of 97', I can be sued?

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"X2 I have had farts that weighed more."

Were they "BLUE" ???

Most likely :E

I do enjoy reading his SHORT posts, and seems to be a knowledgeable person. I just have to skip his LONG posts! Maybe his eyes are better than mine, or, he doesn't read his own posts.

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"X2 I have had farts that weighed more."

Were they "BLUE" ???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
there is one answer to the original question; only he can decide how much is too much over, depending on driving experience, vehicle condition, RV condition, and how much over weight. Lot of difference between 200lbs & 2000lbs
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
The part I am having a hard time believing is you have traveled across the USA and ONLY add 450# to your RV.
X2 I have had farts that weighed more.

I (so far) haven't seen where he has actually weighed it.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

blt2ski
Goeboy, while true, let a jury answer the question as to what is safe per distances 4x quoted. Issue still becomes, which is safer?
A ln Leo or cveo only enforces what the law specs. Not what a civil trial will allow!
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
4x4ord wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^BTW after you posted it, I tried that stunt with a 24' tag trailer behind by 1/2 ton. I chickened out at 20mph! You win!

Haha. I missed this post. Good for you. I bet backing a gooseneck up fast and straight is easier than a tag trailer.

Ha, yeah, GN tracks way better.
I’d be all good then a little bobble would send the pintos hitch the other way and it was a lot of work with the steering wheel!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Geo*Boy wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Geo*Boy wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
^^^^ What does it mean to be able to safely stop a truck and trailer. A Corvette can come to a stop from 60 mph in 90 feet. If I can stop a 100,000 lb legally loaded semi trailer with properly functioning air brakes in 450 feet am I safe? What if I can bring my overloaded 2020 f250 from 60 mph down to zero in 300 feet.... is that safe? What if I'm towing a 1993 5th wheel with a '93 GMC 1 ton and all my weights are within specs and it takes me 400 feet to stop from 60 mph .... am I safe?

When you injure or kill someone, you can ask the court/jury that question.

Good job 4x4ord getting the weight ninnies all riled up!
Love it. Most of the weight "cops" on here are sorta like the most of the protesters out there. They're crying about something, they just don't know what about, but if they whine loud enough they feel better and have some sense of accomplishment that allows them to sleep better at night vs the insomnia caused by not having a real JOB! LOL

Grit, you want an analogy, I think your comment and others like you are more like the cops that do what they want and to hell with doing the right thing.

Rofl. Whatever dude. If you’re so smart tell us why it’s wrong or unsafe to tow 11,900 or whatever the Op said, with that truck. And not the what if’s, but apple to apples, what part of the truck is going to be “unsafe”. And I don’t mean slow. It’ll suck going up hills I mean unsafe.
All yours smart guy

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
^BTW after you posted it, I tried that stunt with a 24' tag trailer behind by 1/2 ton. I chickened out at 20mph! You win!

Haha. I missed this post. Good for you. I bet backing a gooseneck up fast and straight is easier than a tag trailer.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you are overweight you cannot stop it.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without scale slips this is all conjecture.
Puma 30RKSS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Well that spam post may have more relevance than some of the weight ninny posts!

If you eat right and exercise, you can carry more trailer if you’re counting every pound!
Lol

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Geo*Boy wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
^^^^ What does it mean to be able to safely stop a truck and trailer. A Corvette can come to a stop from 60 mph in 90 feet. If I can stop a 100,000 lb legally loaded semi trailer with properly functioning air brakes in 450 feet am I safe? What if I can bring my overloaded 2020 f250 from 60 mph down to zero in 300 feet.... is that safe? What if I'm towing a 1993 5th wheel with a '93 GMC 1 ton and all my weights are within specs and it takes me 400 feet to stop from 60 mph .... am I safe?

When you injure or kill someone, you can ask the court/jury that question.

Good job 4x4ord getting the weight ninnies all riled up!
Love it. Most of the weight "cops" on here are sorta like the most of the protesters out there. They're crying about something, they just don't know what about, but if they whine loud enough they feel better and have some sense of accomplishment that allows them to sleep better at night vs the insomnia caused by not having a real JOB! LOL

Grit, you want an analogy, I think your comment and others like you are more like the cops that do what they want and to hell with doing the right thing.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III