cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire plugs

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious about what the general opinions are on plugging a tire as opposed to patching it.
44 REPLIES 44

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Yes!!

What is even more amazing is how the ole boy had 65 tire plugs or managed to scrounge them up out on the trail...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
I'm an old Boy Scout, and I can say that installing a sidewall patch with 65 plugs, eight zip ties and a rock certainly fulfills the "Be Prepared" anthem.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
CFerguson wrote:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YFKb8f82FMQ/XOh3YkheHqI/AAAAAAAAinU/aesvYY6t2ioWl4sUFx0ImnTif5Yq02lmACLcBGAs/s640/C2E3FB16-AC23-4560-BF0F-190E7E8EB0F3.jpeg

Sorry, but my security settings wont let me live link it.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
This thread reminds me, I'm outta tire plugs.
Hello Amazon?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YFKb8f82FMQ/XOh3YkheHqI/AAAAAAAAinU/aesvYY6t2ioWl4sUFx0ImnTif5Yq02lmACLcBGAs/s640/C2E3FB16-AC23-4560-BF0F-190E7E8EB0F3.jpeg

Sorry, but my security settings wont let me live link it.

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
I've had about a 50% failure rate on plugs.

10K miles later a slow leak.

Don't get me wrong- if time is tight, or a plug is the ONLY thing available, it's a valid repair.

If I have a CHOICE- it's patch.

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using plugs for 40 years without any failures.

The last tire I plugged was on my Mazda a few weeks ago. I got a low-pressure warning on I-10 and pulled off into a parking lot. I found the leak, pulled out the nail, put in the plug, used my 12v compressor to refill the tire, and resumed my trip.

I was glad I had the plug, because my "spare" is a tiny donut that is good only for very limited miles and speed.

My plug repair is for unlimited mileage and speed.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Prefer a patch, have used plugs and none have failed that I'm aware of.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
while a plug/patch or patch is likely the best solution ONLY if done properly. Given my experience with most tire shops, they know how to plug and do it often, but FEW have people who really know how to patch a tire anymore. So regardless of what is the recomended practice, I have had tires plugged and IF I trust the shop a patch as well but never a patch only.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
i will only run a plug to get home, on my motorcycle.
but for any car, pu truck, big rig. rv. no problem running a plug.
but best is to plug, and place a patch over it (inside the tire that is).

i have never had a plug, or patch fail. (40 years driving varied big rigs).
been driving for a living for almost 50 years, small trucks up to the classic "big rig". even on my personal cars, trucks. but have had tires fail do to other damage, or age.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Most reputable tire retailers will use a plug/patch combo, installed from the inside. Personally, I've used plugs quite a few times over the last 40 years, sometimes with the tire still on the vehicle, and have not had a single one fail. However, I probably wouldn't try it on my MH simply because of the weight/pressure involved.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

salem
Explorer
Explorer
skeeter_ca: I drove it about 85 miles on a very hot day. Should that be enough to set it correctly?

skeeter_ca
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to remember about plugs. They need to be driven on in order for the vulcanizing adhesive to warm up and seal properly. If you just plug it and use it as a spare it may never seal properly. If you want to use it as a spare then drive on it a awhile first then switch it out.

I have plugged 1000's of tires in my life time. They work extremely well when properly install. But a lot of people out there can screw up the simplest things.

skeeter

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
salem wrote:
I appreciate all the responses. The reason I asked the question is because a couple of days ago, while camping, I noticed a screw in my right rear 5er tire. I took it off and went to the only tire repair shop within a 45 minute drive. (which would have been down the mountain and back up) They only did plugs, as they did not have the equipment to remove a tire from its rim. The guy that plugged it said the hole went straight through and was clean and easy to plug. I wasn't sure what that meant till reading these posts. Anyway, when we got home, I had that tire taken off, the spare replaced with a new one,(spare was 5 years old or so) and now the plugged tire is being used as the spare. Before ok'ing the plug, I called my tire dealer, who has been in local business 50+ years, and is well respected locally, who said the plug would be fine. It was my choice to trade the tire for a spare. Anyway, thanks for all your very helpful responses. If it ever happens again, I'll have more information to base my decision on. You've all been very helpful.

Learn from the experience and purchase a top quality plugging kit. I've plugged tires without even having to remove from the vehicle.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900