Explorer
Explorer
Looking at a class A with the V10, I would just like to hear some
pros and cons. Thank You.
18 REPLIES 18

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
On my second V-10. First one was in 2001 Natioinal, no problems. My second on is in a Newmar Canyon Star 3953. The motor is fine my problem is the sound. I had a 350 CAT in between in a 2003 National Tradewinds with Sparton chasses. That will spoil you. Got rid of the diesel because of maintenence expense.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
map40 wrote:
I have a rental fleet, all V10s. Most of them over 100K. One over 300K. Some close to 200K. Never an issue.

This is a very good datapoint. Thanks!!

Al

map40
Explorer
Explorer
I have a rental fleet, all V10s. Most of them over 100K. One over 300K. Some close to 200K. Never an issue.
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to mention the 2006 F53 chassis for class A MHs (which began production on Jan 1st, 2005) included the 3 valve heads - that's where much of the added HP came from. Ford also streamlined the exhaust system with what looks like cast iron headers.

The more gears the transmission has the better. My 2004 with the older 4 speed transmission has trouble going up long upgrades. In the higher gear, it loses speed until it drops below 50 when it downshifts even lower and then starts picking up speed. A little over 50-52 mph, it upshifts (at about 4500 rpm) and starts losing speed again. If it had more gears, it would be able to at least maintain 50 mph or better.

Ford Introduces New F-53 V8 Engine, Transmission (3/5/2019)

From what's been said here, 2016 was another major upgrade year where 6 speed transmissions became standard.

Stay tuned for the 2020 F53 chassis (which I believe is now in production) for another major upgrade. The engine switches to a bigger V8 (the V-10 is on 415 ci) and a 10 speed transmission.

Oh,iIf I could on jack up my unit and put one of those under it! I have no inclination to buy a new MH.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
Passes everything but a fuel station.

So 7-8mpg is bad. If I recall a DP of the same size may only get 1mpg better. So โ€œpasses everything but a gas stationโ€ is a useless statement.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Passes everything but a fuel station.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™ve seen several 16 models with the six speed. Look at the shifter for a D with a four next to it.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have two V10's and the maintenance is much easier than the old 460. The water pump is a simple 4 bolt unit with a big O ring just plug it in and your done. The V10's are strong runners and revvers and both of mine are rock solid. As stated above if you can afford at least a 2017 model motorhome(that would be a 2016 chassis) you get the 6 speed transmission which is also very good. As far as the spark plug issue's, just shop 2004 and later motorhomes.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure of your budget but after 2016 you get a six speed auto that basically drops cruising rpm 1000 rpm.

Class Cs donโ€™t get the three valve.

Iโ€™ve seen delivery vans in the NE go to auction with 300-400k miles. Not as heavily loaded as a RV but still ...
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
What year? Prior to 07, V10 was 2 valve. We added Banks to get adequate power in mountains. After was 3 valve. Our current MH, 2013 36LA, does not need Banks for good power in mountains.

First MH had little floor & firewall insulation, up front. Very noisy. Current has good insulation and except for high RPMs is not overly noisy (it is not near as quiet as a rear diesel) nor is there any heat on the floorboard.

How the house and insulation is put together is important.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
V-10 Miles

Here you go.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
georgelesley wrote:
Now on our second V-10. IMHO a good dependable motor. It likes revs and is noisy when it downshifts in cruise for overpasses, etc. a quick tap on the brakes before hills that will cause the noisy downshift is easy to do. Also learn to use the tow haul feature it really helps. Ours is always on.

Solid, dependable. Not noted for fuel economy.

On older models, I think what you are referring to was called "OD Cancel". It prevented the transmission from using 4th gear.

4th gear with a heavy load (never seen a really "light" Class A !) is fine for flat roads, once you are up to speed. Cancel th OD at the bottom of a hill is simpler than tapping the brakes.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2004 Trek 32 ft MH was one of the few Safari's to come on the F53 chassis. It's been trouble free. Before we had a 2001 37 ft Residency on a 2000 F53 chassis. The engines never gave any problems. Up through the 2004 model year, the transmissions only had 4 gears. Dec 31st 2004 was the last date they built that chassis. Jan 1st 2005 production began on the 2006 F53 chassis (there are no 2005 VINs on the F53 chassis) - it was a huge year for upgrades. The engine got a lot more hp and the transmission got another gear (Tow-Hall). If you find what you're looking for on a post 2005 chassis, you'll more than likely be well satisfied as are the others posting here.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m on my 2nd V-10. First was in an 02 Excursion towing towing a 9300lb TT, 18klb GCW. Now have a 2012 in a 36ft class A. More HP better trans (this one has the 5speed auto) with the tow haul feature. I havenโ€™t driven this one very far yet, but it performs very well. The V-10 and Tow Haul are excellent. My Excursion had a 5 star tune which made the V-10 and 4 speed auto perform better than the factory tune ever did. I may get a tuner for this one, but I want to see how it performs first! The MH will be around 24-25k loaded with a toad!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!