cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaspe Trip, Quebec

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering a trip around the Gaspe - we were there about 10 years ago and had a good time. We have been to Perce Rock and Bonaventure Island. If you have done this trip more recently, what were your favorite spots. Last time there we had a large M.H. and tow car making it difficult to get into restaurants and museums along the way. This trip we will have our B+ and no tow so accessing out of the way spots will be easier.
Can you recommend any particular c.g.s
Thanks for any advice you can provide.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)
13 REPLIES 13

deadeye1
Explorer
Explorer
College go back middle of Aug. Grade and High School go back a day or so before Labour Day. After Labour Day campgrounds a pretty quiet.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Wow.......... kids start back that early in Quebec. In the southern USA that is when school starts for some but in the northern USA many do not start until early Sept. Thanks for the information.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
alfredmay wrote:
Thanks for the answers. My French is non existent as I took Spanish in High School and College. If I go it will be in either August or Sept.

Vacancies will be better after August 15th when the kids go back to school.

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
Having lived in Western Canada for many years before taking my first trip to Quebec, I was really interested to see how my lack of French would work.
I do speak a little French, the Parisian French I learnt at school, but I do speak it very badly, and with a Welsh accent! I experimented with my French and also pretended not to speak it at all. In every case, everyone was very accommodating and either switched to really good English or just muddled through with good humour. I had a great time there.
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the answers. My French is non existent as I took Spanish in High School and College. If I go it will be in either August or Sept.
Alfred May
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
deadeye1 wrote:
Most of the people working in the tourist industry speak enough english to serve you. As for reservations it depends on the time of year. Remember asking with a smile goesa long way.

I have also found that when communicating with someone who is trying really hard to speak English, they appreciate being complimented on
their efforts. I usually also say that your English is so much better than my French (which is grade 9 variety only) and that brings a smile and laughter.

deadeye1
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the people working in the tourist industry speak enough english to serve you. As for reservations it depends on the time of year. Remember asking with a smile goesa long way.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
I am also thinking of a Gaspe trip but will drive a car and stay in motels. I do not speak French, would that be a problem? Also, would I need to make motel reservations or can I just "wing it"?
Alfred May
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

CoMoCo
Explorer
Explorer
We are going around in August and the main campgrounds we chose are Camping Rimouski and Tete d'Indien between Gaspe and Perce. We wanted full hookups and have reserved at these 2 campgrounds so we know we will have a place to stay.
'23 Silverado High Country 3500 SRW LB D/A; '22 Cedar Creek 345IK

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
We did it three years ago, car & motel only.
The motels were many and the Mom & Pop variety. All were sparkling clean and well maintained, It was like traveling back 50 yrs

deadeye1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the link to Camping Quebecs web site. It should help you find some good campsites.

http://www.campingquebec.com/en/

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
We were out there in 2017, and did the Rte 132 loop around the peninsula, and it has changed a lot. No more all day Walmart parking. 23:00 to 06:00 only.
As for campgrounds, I don't recall seeing a lot of them, but we didn't use campgrounds much back then in a Class B Van. You could always find a place to park for a few hours of rest, or overnight. Not so easy any more.
There are a few National Parks that might have camping, Parc National du Bic is nice but crowded. We've used it for showers.
This map shows what's out there at various degrees of zoom. More smaller ones show up if you zoom in a bit.
https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+campgrounds+around+the+gaspe&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=4887305...
Can't recommend any, because we used them sparingly when we used to go out there.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We went around the gaspe in 1962 with a pop up camper. A lot of places we stayed weren't campgrounds. I bet it's different now.