Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Plain Black Wrapper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Plain Black Wrapper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Michigan last week on I94 we saw a lot of Troopers. A one turn around was a Trooper and a Motorcycle.
The motorcycle bore no markings at all and the rider only displayed the Michigan State police seal or shield on the shoulder. He wore a subdued gold color helmet.
A white cub type car passed us but not at any great speed and the Motorcycle after we had passed cam out an chased the car down within less than an 1/8 mile. Then he turned on the take down lights.
The lights were flush and blacked out within the rest of the trim.
It was a high hp Susukie or Kawsaki 4 cylinder with quiet exhaust.
You would never recognize the cycle or rider at any distance, and maybe right next to them, as a State Trooper of a State Police motorcycle.
Maybe there was some markings I missed, I dunno.
nrapment?
In our state in a plain unmmarked car the Trooper has to wear his DI or campaign hat, or other insignia, if working. But with all windows, just about, blacked out on their vehicles these days who can tell.
In Middle Tn/Nashville and elsewhere they are in small Chevys with v8s
and ow becoming ubiquitous the Chryslers with 157mph capability and more.
Had a somewhat local Officer ask me about hopping up his Chrysler. I'm too old to fool with them anymore. Won't urpirse me to see the new Hemis 757 hp Chryslers as Police cars though their insurance already sky high, frowns on them using even confiscated left lane cars.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is usually a logo on teh "Curb side" of the Departmental semi-marked as I recall.. Though I've never seen a semi-marked Motor unit. Just patrols.

Drove an Unmarked twice.. Technically 3 times but the 3rd time was like 50 feet n a parking lot. (actually the 1st). Both times it was an Administrative run not patrol.

I now the Harley's the MSP use are sweet bikes... I know a trooper nicknamed Ponch (After the character on CHiPs) like Ponch he is Mexian/american. And well.. If two bikes go out and one comes back on the trailer.. It is his. Guaranteed it will be his... He just has all the luck.

Once they were invetigating a car v/s light pole.. Everybody (Including highway dept and lighting engineers on sceen) agreed it was not going to fall but if it die it would be on the other side of the freeway from where the troopers were.

Landed on "Ponch's" helmet (he was wearing it at the time) Bike to trailer "Ponh" to Receiving Hosp. (Inspected and sent home. no major damage)

One of the best troopers I ever dispatched by the way . Just in case you are wondering.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Municipal agencies around these parts have gone with stealth / ghost markings.

All the lights hidden, graphics are very dark gray against black paint. Still counts as a marked vehicle.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't see a un-marked bike or car as entrapment. Entrapment, to my understanding, is doing something to cause you to break the law.
The issue I have is in this day and age, where everybody is certain criminals are everywhere and out to get them, and anybody can buy run flashing lights, do you stop for a un-marked car/bike?
Last time I got stopped in my home town the first thing the officer heard as he approached my window was my "hands free" phone say "911, What is your Emergency?" "THERE IS A MAN WITH A GUN COMING TO MY CAR" There was a audio recording of the encounter that neither of us could edit.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

nrapment?

No. It's not entrapment.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/19 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not afraid of our LEOs local, county or state..except politicians conducting a "safety program."
I have been concerned about I40 est and east , est of Nashville, when we did carry substantial amounts of cash, in our mh because or real reports of policing for cash/asset forefeitures. We were never stopped however.
In other states there were and are still some areas like I95 in SC, Ga, and Fla where you could and may still expect problems with traffic ticket income being a budget item.
Don't carry enough to be concerned with Asset Forfeiture, now, and certainly don't violate any laws.
Speeding: We follow the traffic.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I now the Harley's the MSP use are sweet bikes... I know a trooper nicknamed Ponch (After the character on CHiPs) like Ponch he is Mexian/american. And well.. If two bikes go out and one comes back on the trailer.. It is his. Guaranteed it will be his... He just has all the luck."

I can't imagine the Highway Patrol using Harley's, heck they couldn't catch anything except a Prius. Pretty common to send out two Harley's and only have one come back. And Ponch and Jon rode Kawasaki Z1's not Harley's.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too bad they're not as aggressively enforcing the left lane for passing law.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

I can't imagine the Highway Patrol using Harley's, heck they couldn't catch anything except a Prius.

They can catch other Harley's, maybe. [emoticon]

newman fulltimer

louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

I can't imagine the Highway Patrol using Harley's, heck they couldn't catch anything except a Prius.

They can catch other Harley's, maybe. [emoticon]

Must be a snow thing [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Plain Black Wrapper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS