Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Plain Black Wrapper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Plain Black Wrapper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

newman fulltimer wrote:

Must be a snow thing [emoticon]

Bite your tongue. No four letter words are allowed on the forum.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IRC, MI state law REQUIRES the vehicle to be marked. Many communities have done it with ghost logos, some don't bother (Taylor PD). But, who's going to hold them accountable? Same with window tinting, front windows can't be tinted, and it's not on the approved vehicle equipment list, but who's going to old Taylor PD accountable?

Entrapment, no. Follow the speed limit, and life will generally be good [emoticon] Me, I LOVE the Waze app!

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

IRC, MI state law REQUIRES the vehicle to be marked.

Well, if that's the case, even My Cousin Vinny should be able to get any ticket issued by an LEO in an unmarked cruiser quashed.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/19 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Airdaile wrote:

Too bad they're not as aggressively enforcing the left lane for passing law.

Too bad they aren't fining the he!! out of those left lane NASCAR wannabes.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Airdaile wrote:

Too bad they're not as aggressively enforcing the left lane for passing law.

Too bad they aren't fining the he!! out of those left lane NASCAR wannabes.

X2 ... Hogging the left lane might be bad manners but reckless speeding is down right dangerous.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

I can't imagine the Highway Patrol using Harley's, heck they couldn't catch anything except a Prius. Pretty common to send out two Harley's and only have one come back. And Ponch and Jon rode Kawasaki Z1's not Harley's.

Well MSP uses Harleys.. OR at least they did when I told 'em where to go for a living.. And as I said sweet bikes.

I know the TV show did not use Harleys. But MSP did.

MSP also conducts patrol vehicle tests.. Called the MSP demolition derby. The vehicle suppliers provide demo "Police Cars" and the department takes them to someplace like Jackson Raceway and puts 'em through basically HEll. Drive 'em to destruction.. Mechanics keep track of the repairs done and then troopers (Not specially trained but normal troopers) rate the cars as per handling and comfort and so on. Then based on the reports the Department decides what's going to chase you down in the coming year.. Several other departments attended the well attended event and take notes. Many pick the same cars as Michigan. but Michigan does the testing.

THe bikes MSP use work well. Only one has major issues [emoticon].

Two Motor officers have a "Meeting".. IT was not "Ponch's" Fault but.. it was his bike on the trailer (Several were returning from an event and one got distracted and ran into him).

Of course I had a Sgt. who also rode a bike (Personal not deparmental) Two troopers were sitting on an entrance ramp watching for speeders.

"Hey. isn't that the Sgt's bike" (A motorcycle just passed the freeway end of the ramp) "Sure looks like it.

"Where's the Sgt?" (The bike was riderless).

It was indeed the Sgt's bike Thankfully his protective clothing.. Worked.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why would minimum markings or no markings for that matter be entrapment? Check your legal definitions. Not even close on that one

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

IRC, MI state law REQUIRES the vehicle to be marked. Many communities have done it with ghost logos, some don't bother (Taylor PD). But, who's going to hold them accountable? Same with window tinting, front windows can't be tinted, and it's not on the approved vehicle equipment list, but who's going to old Taylor PD accountable?

Entrapment, no. Follow the speed limit, and life will generally be good [emoticon] Me, I LOVE the Waze app!
I believe you are mistaken, I am about 99% certain police vehicles are not required to be marked in Michigan.

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I certainly can't say for sure, I would be very surprised to hear that any state has it in law that police vehicles must be marked. Some agencies may have policies against unmarked vehicles making traffic stops while others may embrace it depending on their approach to enforcement. Agencies that are more focused on prevention through visibility will only do stops with marked vehicles and have fewer unmarked. Agencies with more focus on prevention through the fear of enforcement may used unmarked or subdued marked vehicles for traffic enforcement. Where we are, I see a mixture of both. Local PD has several unmarked vehicles they use for traffic including a Toyota Camry, Toyota Tacoma PU, Ford Escape SUV, etc. All colors and in no way looking like a police car. However, the officers in them are fully uniformed. The agency does (or did) have a policy that plain clothes officers could not make routine traffic stops. Highway patrol uses mainly marked, but they have some unmarked as well as subdued cars.

The use of unmarked vehicles is not entrapment. The lack of official markings does not force a person to speed or break other traffic regulations that they would have otherwise not broken.

Besides, it really doesn't matter if the vehicles are marked, most people are oblivious when they drive anyway. Stopped a car one day who blew by me. I was in the outside lane and he passed in the inside lane on a 4 lane road. Paced him at 30 MPH over the limit. Fully marked Crown Vic with large light bar on top (pre LED bar days). When he stopped, he asked me where I was sitting and how I clocked him since his radar detector never went off...He never saw me when he passed me. A few months later, the traffic judge schooled him on certified speedometers and pacing.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/19 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Folks shouldn't obey the vehicle laws only when they can "see" an officer around - anyway. We need more law abiding drivers all the time everywhere regardless of how the police are outfitted.

IMHO, the police can be concealed anyway and anytime they want. I even wish we had automatic radar and cameras along most U.S roads so ticketing could be via notices in the mail to violators based on matching radar readings to license plate photos ... boy would that straighten out a lot of drivers in a hurry!

We sure need some drastic vehicle law inforcement improvements all over the U.S. - to make RV travel and all other vehicle travel more safe and relaxing for all.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Plain Black Wrapper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS