Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: MICE
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After 60 yrs of camping and storing our RVs and never had a problem
of mice or rats, today one week before leaving for 3 months we found mice had got into several drawers in the RV kitchen. What do you use to get rid of the little critters? I always used decon in my shop or garage in the past but cannot buy that any more. I fell this morning
and cracked several ribs when I fell against the end of a table so I cannot crawl under the RV to see where they are coming in. Let me know ASAP

* This post was edited 06/16/19 07:16pm by an administrator/moderator *

samsontdog">">

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are various things that MIGHT work ... These are the electronic noise makers (ultrasonic mouse repellers), and various types of things that small bad to mice, and poisons.

The repellers make an area less pleasant than it otherwise would have been. Mice, being fairly rational critters, are looking for a good place to nest. They'll check out a number of sites and pick the best. The noise makers and scent things make an area less pleasant. If it's still the best spot the mouse finds, it'll still nest there.

Poisons can have the downside of poisoning other critters who eat the poisoned mouse, or of the mouse kicking the bucket somewhere hidden within your trailer. They also won't keep the mouse out, and take a little while to work. Assuming you don't have many though, once they're gone they might stay that way.

The best: Seal all openings into the trailer. Don't let them get in in the first place. (This only works for actual trailers though, not for RVs, and getting to all of the openings and such can take a while, involves lots of crawling and bending, and sometimes removing false panels to find the plumbing and electrical runs.) Obviously you'd not be up for that until you heal!

Best wishes with your injuries.

2016 AmeriLite SuperLite 198BH
2008 Toyota Sienna
Hensley Cub

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moth balls should drive them out ! We use them to get critters out of our chicken feed . Works for mice , rats , possums , raccoons and moths .

Bowling Green, KY

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from ATC

Dtank

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingbob wrote:

Moth balls should drive them out ! We use them to get critters out of our chicken feed . Works for mice , rats , possums , raccoons and moths .

Moth balls will drive -YOU- out also!..[emoticon]

Lingering BAD odor - even after removal!..[emoticon]

Fresh Cab...[emoticon] - Google for sources.

Drops of peppermint oil on cotton balls....[emoticon] - As one poster (another thread) stated, "strategically placed".
Peppermint oil avail at any health food store.

Some claim dryer sheets and/or bars of Irish Spring Soap - others have not had good luck with those two...[emoticon]

Try a search here on "Mice".
Also - "Peppermint Oil" and "Fresh Cab".
Both will do the job - without you getting under the rig or borrowing a cat.

[emoticon]

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/19 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honestly, until you plug up ALL of the holes there is NOTHING which is going to drive them out other than poison.

You CAN still get Decon baits, they are now in a different "form" from what you have be used to buying.

Seen these at my local Walmart not long ago..

[image]

But in reality, you REALLY DO NOT WANT TO POISON THEM INSIDE YOUR RV!

Yeah, they take the stuff then die inside walls and such where you cannot get to them to remove.

Find a GOOD TRAP, trap them, but you REALLY need to plug up the holes, if you can't do it, find someone who can..

Don't bother with those "home" remedies, you will waist your money, time and the mice will keep trashing your RV..

Trust me, once they get into your heating system the smell NEVER goes away until you either sell the RV or burn it to the ground.

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 12:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Catchmaster Glue Boards at Amazon - take your pick

[image]

These fold into boxes - pull out your draws and put a few on the floor under them. Put them where ever you think the mice might run through them. Once they're stuck, you'll probably need to finish them off. These traps work for just about anything that crawls including ants.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 01:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ouch bud, sorry to hear about the ribs! Those take a while to heal... Don't laugh, fart, belch, cough or sneeze for a while!
Just bought a pack of the plug in ultra sonic deals for our house. While gang of marauding mice moved in recently. Cat hasn't cleaned them out. Nailed several in traps.
Still around, but haven't seen no mas since plugging them in last week.
Cheap easy and worth a try if you have power to the rig. Easy to install even with broke ribs.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 01:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Ouch bud, sorry to hear about the ribs! Those take a while to heal... Don't laugh, fart, belch, cough or sneeze for a while!
Just bought a pack of the plug in ultra sonic deals for our house. While gang of marauding mice moved in recently. Cat hasn't cleaned them out. Nailed several in traps.
Still around, but haven't seen no mas since plugging them in last week.
Cheap easy and worth a try if you have power to the rig. Easy to install even with broke ribs.

A different experience for me, dealing with the crawl space under my house. Put in an ultrasonic device right next to the under-house opening as that is where the electrical outlet is. That is also where I have kept pellet bait located. The pellet bait keeps getting emptied.

So either their love of poison pellets overpowers their ultrasonic hearing, or the ultrasonic gizmo really doesn't do much. I buy bait by the 10lb bucket on Amazon ("Motomco 008-32345"), and refill my own traps.

-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 02:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

Catchmaster Glue Boards at Amazon - take your pick

[image]

These fold into boxes - pull out your draws and put a few on the floor under them. Put them where ever you think the mice might run through them. Once they're stuck, you'll probably need to finish them off. These traps work for just about anything that crawls including ants.

We also battle mice and found the glue traps the best solution with a tad of peanut butter on them works like a charm. You just need to check them every couple of days and dispose of those caught and refresh those that have done their job.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.