Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MICE

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
After 60 yrs of camping and storing our RVs and never had a problem
of mice or rats, today one week before leaving for 3 months we found mice had got into several drawers in the RV kitchen. What do you use to get rid of the little critters? I always used decon in my shop or garage in the past but cannot buy that any more. I fell this morning
and cracked several ribs when I fell against the end of a table so I cannot crawl under the RV to see where they are coming in. Let me know ASAP
samsontdog:o:W
25 REPLIES 25

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
samsontdog wrote:
After 60 yrs of camping and storing our RVs and never had a problem
of mice or rats, today one week before leaving for 3 months we found mice had got into several drawers in the RV kitchen. What do you use to get rid of the little critters? I always used decon in my shop or garage in the past but cannot buy that any more. I fell this morning
and cracked several ribs when I fell against the end of a table so I cannot crawl under the RV to see where they are coming in. Let me know ASAP

This is really the only way to see where they are coming in.

Do the check "at night". Turn all the lights on in rv from front to back. if you have openings the light will shine thru from them onto the ground if you stand back far enough you will see the light spots when standing since you can't crawl under.

Get a neighborhood kid or one of your own family members crawl under and have them mark the spots the light is shining thru with a magic market so you can find them during the day.

If you see the light shining thru the openings? With your injury I'd just pay a handyman or the local neighborhood kid to go under there with a can of Great Stuff and fill the openings. btw: Great Stuff has now added one called propest.

Hope you feel better soon. :B

Great Stuff has added a can called pro pest. Don't personally know if it really adds any additional protection but here is the spec sheet link.

http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDOWCOM/dh_0932/0901b80380932a9c.pdf?filepath=styrofoam/...

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
I just employ a few rat snakes. Took a propane tank out to refill a while back and found a huge one coiled up behind it. I left him alone and wished him happy a happy, mice-filled life.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mountain Jack wrote:
Our mountain cats think mice taste like chicken.....:B:B

YUP

I hired a mouse expert

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta disagree with Gdetrailer. We live in the country with an enclosed metal pole barn with mice. Many years ago we had serious mouse intrusions until I tried PURE Peppermint ($20/bottle @ GNC) Oil on cotton balls. I have NEVER had a mouse intrusion since using this process. Gdetrailer you can diss my idea all you want, but it works for us. Plus our coach smells wonderful in the spring.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
First time I ever saw a post where someone didn't swear that dryer sheets are the answer, not just dryer sheets but Bounce dryer sheets. Could it be that people finally realize that traps, poison or a mean old cat are the only real answer?
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
janstey58 wrote:
Pure Peppermint oil on cotton balls in all hidden places and drawers. I even leave a few laying around on counters. Works 100% of the time for us, and the coach smells great!

Myth.

Doesn't work, what you are seeing is a "coincidence" that you are not seeing mice.

Goes for drier sheets, ultrasonic devices, moth balls and pretty much every other home and "as seen on TV" mythical potions and devices.

NOTHING and I mean NOTHING works except for PLUGGING the TINY HOLES they are getting through. Your RV the manufacturer may have done a decent job PLUGGING holes which may be why you are not seeing mice in YOUR RV.

My first TT, had lots of issues with mice getting in, my second and current TT I have NO PROBLEM with mice getting in.

Both TTs were parked IN THE SAME EXACT SPOT.

I do not have never had a personal cat around the yard to reduce the mice population, in fact, the first TT I had a neighbor across the road that had an outdoor cat which often visited my yard.. and YET I had mice trouble with the first TT.

That cat died after I got my second TT and my second TT I have no issues with mice..

The difference?

I personally PLUGGED EVERY SINGLE HOLE where plumbing and wiring went from outside into the inside that I could find in my second TT.

Plug the holes and they will not come in.

Good luck trying to seal up a slide out so mice can't get in .... NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!. By it's very nature slide outs are going to ALWAYS be the weak spot for critters to get into a trailer.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Mountain_Jack
Explorer
Explorer
Our mountain cats think mice taste like chicken.....:B:B
1989 Pace Arrow 37', Ford 460

Take Care.........Drive Safely...........Grizz Jack..........Happy fishin'.....:B:B:B

"Have You Kissed a Bass, Today?"........:W :B

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
We had a very similar problem this year except it was with squirrels. My son and I have solved it as follows.

The squirrel, after getting in the trailer, had eaten a hole right through the metal foil furnace duct. I replaced the furnace ducting with an all steel one from Lowes. If he ever gets in again, he will have some broken teeth if he tries to bite this! He also chewed a large hole around the kitchen gray tank vent so we patched that up with sheet aluminum.

I discovered he got in via a small crack between the trailer frame and the front cap. My son and I closed that up with some sheet aluminum from Lowes. Here is a view of the cap now looking up from underneath next to the A frame. We did both sides of the trailer.

After gaining access to the area between the outer and inner wall, the squirrel ate a 2.5 inch hole in the inner wall behind a kitchen drawer and use some of the insulation to fill the drawer full for a nest.
I took all the drawers home and cleaned them out very well and we patched the hole with another piece of aluminum.

After looking around, we found another place where the squirrel had used to enter the living space. He evidently travelled in the underbelly material and ate a hole in the rear hall closet where the black tank breather goes up through the trailer to the roof. We then patched that hole with another piece of aluminum sheet.

We then proceeded to make a squirrel trap using a 5 gal paint bucket, a piece of 1x4 about 4 feet long, and some waxed sunflower seeds. Pour the seeds into about 6 inches of water in the bucket, place the wood ramp on the side of the bucket and let it sit overnight. Place a few seeds on the ramp and leading up to it..
We caught 5 of the critters this way and have not had a single occurrence or problem with them since. By the way, our trailer sits in my sons family campground right in the middle of the woods so there are lots of critters around. They were evidently living in our woodpile.

Hope you have good luck getting rid of your mice. They and squirrels can do a great deal of damage to a RV and I have no sympathy for them.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
I can vouch for mothballs and dryer sheets not doing anything given my last invasion had dryer sheets used as nesting and half eaten moth balls all over the place.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
GO BACK and *READ* the OP's thread-starting post!!...:S

He has broken ribs, can't do the "crawl under" thing...:(

BTW - Fresh Cab works - as well as peppermint oil.
Had TT's since 1976 to 2006, then 5th wheel - Hate Meces to pieces - never a problem.

:W

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
janstey58 wrote:
Pure Peppermint oil on cotton balls in all hidden places and drawers. I even leave a few laying around on counters. Works 100% of the time for us, and the coach smells great!

Myth.

Doesn't work, what you are seeing is a "coincidence" that you are not seeing mice.

Goes for drier sheets, ultrasonic devices, moth balls and pretty much every other home and "as seen on TV" mythical potions and devices.

NOTHING and I mean NOTHING works except for PLUGGING the TINY HOLES they are getting through. Your RV the manufacturer may have done a decent job PLUGGING holes which may be why you are not seeing mice in YOUR RV.

My first TT, had lots of issues with mice getting in, my second and current TT I have NO PROBLEM with mice getting in.

Both TTs were parked IN THE SAME EXACT SPOT.

I do not have never had a personal cat around the yard to reduce the mice population, in fact, the first TT I had a neighbor across the road that had an outdoor cat which often visited my yard.. and YET I had mice trouble with the first TT.

That cat died after I got my second TT and my second TT I have no issues with mice..

The difference?

I personally PLUGGED EVERY SINGLE HOLE where plumbing and wiring went from outside into the inside that I could find in my second TT.

Plug the holes and they will not come in.

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I keep my RV in one of my barns and the barns all have feline inhabitants. Never had an issue with mice, the cats eat them for dessert. Obviously tasty critters.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
5 gal pail 1/4 full of rv antifreeze
stretch wire tight across top
run wire through a tube (pvs, abs, aluminum, soup cans if your ghetto)
ramps up to the wire small dab of pb on the tube near the middle
check it ever few days. can catch 10+ in a night this way and they are less nasty to deal with than traps with less mess.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....