cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generac generator quits power output...UPDATE

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The smaller motorhome in my signature has a 5500w Generac generator that is not producing current at higher loads. The generator starts and runs fine when using the coffee maker or the microwave, but when I turn on the AC, the compressor will run for about 10 minutes and then the generator stops producing any current to the motorhome but the Gen does stay running.
If I shut the Gen off and restart it, it starts producing current again as long as I don't run the AC more than a few minutes.
Why would the Gen stop power after 10 minutes of using the AC?
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata
14 REPLIES 14

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
larry barnhart wrote:
hotjag1 wrote:
Generac service center did a lot of testing and determined that when the GEN was under heavy load (AC) the voltage regulator would get warm and the voltage would increase. When that happened an internal resetting circuit breaker would open and cut power output from the GEN.

The voltage regulator under lighter loads such as coffee maker or microwave wasn't drawing enough power to heat up the voltage regulator as this only happened with the AC on. They replaced the voltage regulator and ran the AC for over an hour and everything worked as designed. $100 labor and $100 regulator and so far, so good.

Where did you get the repair done?

chevman

Yakima Generator...98902 They are a factory authorized service center for Onan, Generac, Champion, and a couple of other brands. I definitely thought they were reasonably priced and knowledgeable and I was able to watch and ask questions the entire time that the tech was diagnosing everything.
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, thanks for the follow-up, and at a reasonable price also. The repair facility seems to know what they are doing, and fairly honest.
Wildmanbaker

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Good that you were able to get it fixed and pretty reasonable, at that....
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
hotjag1 wrote:
Generac service center did a lot of testing and determined that when the GEN was under heavy load (AC) the voltage regulator would get warm and the voltage would increase. When that happened an internal resetting circuit breaker would open and cut power output from the GEN.

The voltage regulator under lighter loads such as coffee maker or microwave wasn't drawing enough power to heat up the voltage regulator as this only happened with the AC on. They replaced the voltage regulator and ran the AC for over an hour and everything worked as designed. $100 labor and $100 regulator and so far, so good.

Where did you get the repair done?

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Awesome. Thanks for following up.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II

hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
D.E.Bishop wrote:
From past experience I can tell you that if the brushes are not in contact with the slip rings your generator will shut down.

My suggestion is to first check the circuit breakers on the genny.

The circuit breakers aren't tripped, and as soon as I shut the Gen down and restart, I have power again. I have located a Generac repair facility about 3 hours from my home and have made an appointment to have them look at it on Thursday. Generac repair facilities are far and few between, but I will report what they find out.

I appreciate all of the comments and suggestions that I have received about this problem. Thank-you!
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

sempka
Explorer
Explorer
Generac parts for rv generators are getting hard to find. Generac has gotten out of the rv generator business. If you need parts they will refer you to another company that has limited parts for Generac rv gen sets.
2000 Holiday Rambler Admiral

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
From past experience I can tell you that if the brushes are not in contact with the slip rings your generator will shut down.

My suggestion is to first check the circuit breakers on the genny.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
way2roll wrote:
Since it continues to run, it sounds more like the ATS than the overheat shutdown. Does anything else other than the AC continue to run? Is there a code on the panel?

When the Gen cuts power, nothing in the coach works. When this happens, I checked with a meter and there is no power to the ATS. The odd thing is that when I personally shut down the Gen and then retart it a minute later, I have power to the coach again. I'm wondering if worn brushes or contacts would do this when a heavy load is put on the Gen.
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Low oil level or pressure, and over temp will shut the engine down. Thatโ€™s what those two sensors are protecting.

Maybe a self-resetting circuit breaker somewhere?

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Since it continues to run, it sounds more like the ATS than the overheat shutdown. Does anything else other than the AC continue to run? Is there a code on the panel?
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
akrv wrote:
Went to a rally in Cashmere WA it was a 100 degrees the whole time. Every one that had 5500 generacs would shutdown when the AC was running and air temp got over 98 degrees. Turns out there is a high temp oil switch maybe yours has same problem. Almost all the units were 98-2004

That's a good thought as it has been pretty hot here. Did the Gens quit running or stop producing power? Mine keeps running but power output stops.
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

akrv
Explorer
Explorer
Went to a rally in Cashmere WA it was a 100 degrees the whole time. Every one that had 5500 generacs would shutdown when the AC was running and air temp got over 98 degrees. Turns out there is a high temp oil switch maybe yours has same problem. Almost all the units were 98-2004
2005 Coachmen Concord 275DS
2004 Malibu Maxx LT