Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New - Buying a Tralier - No Clue What I'm Doing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> New - Buying a Tralier - No Clue What I'm Doing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
RentSlave

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 02:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

Please excuse the screen name but my Landlord just raised my rent to $3,500.00 month.

I would like to stop renting and do this to save up money to buy a house outright. I have an SUV with a V8 Engine and want to by a Travel Trailer. Is there a website that lets me search by options? I need:

1) Satellite Internet
2) AC
3) Separate Shower
4) Kitchen

etc. etc. etc.

I don't know what I'm doing.

The plan is to live in this thing and drive around the country for a year. But I need a map of places I can park it, empty it, fill it etc. I will be office working on the road I need electricity and internet. Most important is a place to park it around the country.

I don't know anything about any of this. Does anyone have any resource links they could share for maps etc?

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 04:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

can rent a cheap apartment somewhere else and come out way ahead. 1000 a month is easy in a lot of places (potentially less)

trailers depreciate insanely fast especially when being used full time. They need constant maintenance and towing them burns a lot of fuel.

Full time RVing can be great but its not the best way to save money. That said if you want to go this way look out for your limits.

What V8 SUV are you towing with? whats its payload? Sticker inside drivers door will tell us. I KNOW I wouldn't be able to live in my camper with all my stuff long term and have weight numbers anywhere near what any of my V8 suvs could have handled. Heck don't know I could do it with my half ton pickup.

Whatever you do, good luck.

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to save money on rent, get out of California area. You can go thousands of places in the midwest for $1,000.00± a month rent. You are not going to buy a Travel Trailer, pay lot rent, and get anywhere near decent internet service for that kind of money.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you tied to LA?
There are wheels under those units for a reason. If your idea in buying one is to stay in LA full time consider what the parking will cost you in both time and money.
If your dream is to stealth camp, you will be hounded by police home owners, and business owners daily. If your location of choice is the local WalMart apartment complex, go to one, and check out your neighbors.
Is that how you want to live?
If you are looking at leaving LA and truly going mobile, then you will find many options, that even a modest tow vehicle can handle, for example the 192rb Freedom Express models from Coachmen are towable by SUV type vehicles.

If you are going to travel, some resources would be
RV Parky
Ultimate campgrounds
US Campgrounds

One of the members here has a youtube channel that does videos of some areas and has one on finding campsites you may find helpful.
Finding camps
ites video

Good luck

* This post was edited 06/17/19 06:25am by wanderingaimlessly *

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An SUV and a V-8 won't cut it. Most SUV's have a very low tow rating because they are unibody construction. They don't have a frame.
For a full timer you will need at least a 1/2 ton PU and ideally a 3/4 ton.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are in Los Angeles go look at some RVs. Dealerships, shows, and the like. Get an idea what is out there. Then get a real tow vehicle and buy used. Don't go too big.

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tyler0215 wrote:

An SUV and a V-8 won't cut it. Most SUV's have a very low tow rating because they are unibody construction. They don't have a frame.
For a full timer you will need at least a 1/2 ton PU and ideally a 3/4 ton.

Seriously? Let me guess, you should have nothing less than a semi to pull a pop up too right? Most V8 SUVs are full size and built on truck frames. They are plenty capable to pull a moderate sized trailer. Even some midsize SUVs like the old 4Runner and Pathfinder had frames, 7k tow ratings and as much payload as a 1/2 ton truck.

I had an ‘04 4Runner that towed my 5600lbs 26ft bunkhouse halfway across Canada and back just fine. Be reasonable in size and weight and a V8 SUV can tow just fine.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How bout post the door stickers and we will let the numbers talk

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You came to the right place. This site is FULL of answers to the very questions that you ask (cheap to free stays of all kinds, eg).

One thing I would add if you are looking to save money is to buy Used. Half retail of a recent trailer sales price would be the ball park for a nice one.

Workamping is another thought since I have no idea how you make your money that want to save.

Also, it depends on the SUV. Factory guidelines for your model should be easy to find. The fellow that bought a trailer from me a few years back(<5000#) had no problem staying within guidelines+safety factor with his SUV. Heck my 1994 2door Blazer was rated to tow it. Just get a good weight distribution setup.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RentSlave wrote:

I will be office working on the road I need electricity and internet. Most important is a place to park it around the country.

So what you want is mobile "tiny house and office" ! Before you "jump into the deep end" I suggest you rent a trailer or motorhome and see how you like the concept. Even if that goes smooth, I would recommend buying a 2-5 year old RV and trying it for about 1 year, before selecting your "permanent" tiny house.

I think the biggest problem you will have is reliable Internet access. There are only a few true "satellite" Internet Provider Services (IPS) so I think you would be better off using a cellular based Internet service. Even with a top rated cellular service like Verizon or AT&T there will be some "dead spots" !

Also, the cost of cellular Internet can be very high depending on how much data you use. You need to "shop wisely" and read all of the fine print in the contracts. AT&T has twice had limited time, special offers featuring unlimited data for for "in vehicle" customers called the "AT&T Connected Car with Unlimited Data for $20/month".

With solar panels, adequate battery storage and a good invert/charge plus a portable generator (required for AC) electric power should not be an issue. However, no RV manufacturer will likely equip their product to fully meet all of these needs !

Last, if you are NOT a DIY/handy man kind of a person, this concept is probably not for you. When you rent, you call the landlord if something is not working. No landlord and don't expect quick warranty service even on a brand new unit.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> New - Buying a Tralier - No Clue What I'm Doing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS