Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New - Buying a Tralier - No Clue What I'm Doing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> New - Buying a Tralier - No Clue What I'm Doing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well now, he didn't say a full size SUV did he?
I guess I was presumming that from SoCal he probably had a smaller SUV. MY bad.
To the OP check your door sticker for weight limits and get back to us.
Sorry I stepped on anyones toes, I'm sorry.

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/19 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a rule trailers are meant for part time leisure occupancy. Those who are full time have the gear and experience needed.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

You came to the right place. This site is FULL of answers to the very questions that you ask (cheap to free stays of all kinds, eg).

One thing I would add if you are looking to save money is to buy Used. Half retail of a recent trailer sales price would be the ball park for a nice one.

Workamping is another thought since I have no idea how you make your money that want to save.

Also, it depends on the SUV. Factory guidelines for your model should be easy to find. The fellow that bought a trailer from me a few years back(<5000#) had no problem staying within guidelines+safety factor with his SUV. Heck my 1994 2door Blazer was rated to tow it. Just get a good weight distribution setup.

big difference between pulling your camper to the campground and towing AND carrying ALL of your stuff. I don't know about you but I leave a ton of stuff at home when I go camping given its only temporary. If I was living out of my rig I would need way more than I bring and that's without all the extras to make being on the road long term possible. Tools alone would use a few hundred lbs as would the battery setup.

I see no way this is cheaper than a reasonable apartment in a reasonable part of the country

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RentSlave wrote:

Hello,

Please excuse the screen name but my Landlord just raised my rent to $3,500.00 month.

I would like to stop renting and do this to save up money to buy a house outright. I have an SUV with a V8 Engine and want to by a Travel Trailer. Is there a website that lets me search by options? I need:

1) Satellite Internet
2) AC
3) Separate Shower
4) Kitchen

etc. etc. etc.

I don't know what I'm doing.

The plan is to live in this thing and drive around the country for a year. But I need a map of places I can park it, empty it, fill it etc. I will be office working on the road I need electricity and internet. Most important is a place to park it around the country.

I don't know anything about any of this. Does anyone have any resource links they could share for maps etc?

Here are resources for locating campsites:
campground directory with private RV parks
tons of public CGs
Free and low-cost places, mostly dispersed boondocking

You really should rent a trailer and spend at least 3-4 days using it to see what it's like. The furnace roars like a jet engine, and so does the air conditioner. Insulation is skimpy so those climate control tools will come on constantly.

Look in your SUV owner's manual and determine the tow rating and hitch receiver weight rating (if you can't find this info, your dealer should be able to run the vin number and tell you exactly how yours is optioned). You'd need to find a trailer within those weight constraints when loaded for travel (not just dry weights). How you load it will affect the hitch weight greatly; for safe handling the weight on the hitch needs to be between 10% and 15% of total trailer weight. A weight-distribution hitch with built-in sway control (for example, Equal-i-zer from Progress Mfg) may be a valuable tool to add, and be sure to allow for this 80-100 lb item stuck on your hitch receiver (the thing that's bolted to the SUV's underside).

If you try towing and staying in a trailer and decide it is for you, shop Craigslist, for sale ads, and dealer lots for a used unit... maybe 2 to 5 years old. If you see any sign of water stains on the ceiling or walls, pass on it. Roofs should be inspected annually and typically need extra sealant every 3-5 years (on perimeter seams and around all perforations including a/c unit), but tons of owners neglect this and let their units get water damaged... a very expensive repair to fix right. (If someone has a link to the video showing a Jayco trailer being assembled, I bet the OP would benefit from watching it.)

There are some RV parks with monthly rates that are much lower than paying by the night. For example, this is a nice place in Michigan: https://alconapark.org/campgrounds/

Like others have said, if you need really fast internet all the time, this will limit your choices and may even limit you out of this idea, depending on just how fast you need it to be.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

fishba1989

Bonney Lake

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a lot of factors to consider when researching RV's. One site I have found helpful is:

https://www.rvdolphin.com/

It provides some basics and also gives you an idea on pricing. Hope this helps.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbpru wrote:

As a rule trailers are meant for part time leisure occupancy. Those who are full time have the gear and experience needed.

I could not have said it better !

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 05:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How handy are you at fixing things? A big part of owning an RV is fixing and maintenance. Living in it full time that is going to be a really big part. Can you live with an absorption refrigerator (slightly more efficient than an ice chest), mediocre heating and cooling (at best), and only 6 gallons of hot water?

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saw a show on TV the other day about thousands of homeless people in California living in RVs parked on city streets. Apparently block after block of RVs and some neighborhoods full of them and many on the nicest streets in LA. It's become an epidemic with no solution in sight. They're not all down-and-outers. Some are there escaping the sky high rental rates and some enterprising RV owners are even renting them out.

Never thought I'd see the day and it's not just in CA either.

[image][image][image][image]

I hate CAPTCHA. It just will not go away...

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

anyone think OP is coming back?

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/19 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbpru wrote:

good point here. wife and i are experienced rv'ers and have traveled all over the east coast north and south. we are not experienced enough to full-time even though we have the equipment

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> New - Buying a Tralier - No Clue What I'm Doing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS