cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

It sure is complicated.

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
This RV'ing sure is complicated. Between figuring out pipe sizes and codes for home dump stations, how to deal with out of level dump stations, what breeds of dogs will be acceptable in campgrounds, purifying lake water, tire plugs or patches, the inside poop at Tesla, and where to stick your extension cord and fridge operation on propane and its safety implications, it's more than enough to leave your head spinning. Why does anyone even do it?
38 REPLIES 38

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
BillyBob Jim wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
I did not spend as much time in school as I could have, and did not pay as much attention as I should of when there. But sometime in my life I learned to watch what worked, and figure out why. And spending hours every day by myself learned to figure things out.

No big deal LOL.

Just because someone spends more time in school, or pays more attention while there, does not guarantee they do not end up a total dumbass out in the real world with absolutely no common sense. I used to deal with those folks daily, still do once in awhile.

One time the guy that owned the company I was leased to but his son in a truck between his last 2 years of collage. Drivers sitting around witching about something while paving crew was moving. This "boy" said "Why doesn't President **** just $$$%%$$%?" I had to ask "Has he got a bill to sign to do that?" What do you mean? "You know he can't make a law, congress has to do it?" Well what good is it to be President?"

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
I did not spend as much time in school as I could have, and did not pay as much attention as I should of when there. But sometime in my life I learned to watch what worked, and figure out why. And spending hours every day by myself learned to figure things out.

No big deal LOL.

Just because someone spends more time in school, or pays more attention while there, does not guarantee they do not end up a total dumbass out in the real world with absolutely no common sense. I used to deal with those folks daily, still do once in awhile.

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
Trekkar wrote:

I just got back from a relaxing, uncomplicated, very enjoyable camping trip. What was the question again? ๐Ÿ™‚

Where did you go?

Just north of us in the Manistee National Forest. Lots of dispersed spots, NF campgrounds, State forest campgrounds, etc. It's always fun to scout out new places!
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Trekkar wrote:

I just got back from a relaxing, uncomplicated, very enjoyable camping trip. What was the question again? ๐Ÿ™‚

Where did you go?
There is something special about camping in an RV.

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:
This RV'ing sure is complicated. Between figuring out pipe sizes and codes for home dump stations, how to deal with out of level dump stations, what breeds of dogs will be acceptable in campgrounds, purifying lake water, tire plugs or patches, the inside poop at Tesla, and where to stick your extension cord and fridge operation on propane and its safety implications, it's more than enough to leave your head spinning. Why does anyone even do it?

2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
harryjr wrote:
We are all ignorant. Just on different subjects.

This is true. I did not spend as much time in school as I could have, and did not pay as much attention as I should of when there. But sometime in my life I learned to watch what worked, and figure out why. And spending hours every day by myself learned to figure things out.
I say for camping, and taking care of my camper I know what I need to know. I base this statement on fact that I have camped for decades, and used the camper I bought used for nearly 15 years. Now might there be a better way to do some things? Certainly better for you, maybe better for me. Yes, I want to know, but it is not a need.
Back when I first got my pop-up, I decided to get online, and learn what I could. One of the first "facts" I learned was I needed a tank system to catch all my fresh water after it got dirty changed to grey. Instead of one big tank somebody (a member here) came up with a system to hook jugs together so when one was full, it would start to fill the next. I copied the system, tested it in the yard with fresh water, what a great idea! Went camping, hooking this up half a dozen times before the idea got between my ears; With my style of camping, before the first jug is full, we are packing up to move. The only way I need this chain is if I haul dirty water around. Now, I read a idea, and take the idea camping a few times, think about if it is a good idea for me before I act on the idea...

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
It can be as simple or as complicated as YOU make it.

I think that statement sums it up perfectly

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes life over complicates things.

Yes, indeedy! Totally agree on the one step forward, two steps back. But occasionally it's three steps forward and only one back!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Crowe wrote:
They over complicate things because they think their way is better not because they dont know how.

Sometimes life over complicates things.

When it comes to camping. IUt be nice if we didn't need WD hitches, air bags, air hitches, surge suppressors, inverters, converters, jacks straps,blocks,gensets, extensions etc.... you name it.
It can be as simple or as complicated as YOU make it.

My goal is to relax when camping, some of the above items help me to relax on the other hand some of those gadgets can cause lots of grief.

Unfortunately there is always dichotomy.
One step forward can equal two steps backwards.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

harryjr
Explorer
Explorer
We are all ignorant. Just on different subjects.
Harry Jr.
Southeastern CT

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Emptied my trailer of the just in case, peace of mind, cheap insurance items. Now we travel much lighter and worry free.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
They over complicate things because they think their way is better not because they dont know how.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. And maybe for them it IS better. Not all brains work the same.

Yes, people are ridiculing on this thread. It's all too common on this forum in general. IMHO the original post was an open invitation if not a direct solicitation to do just that. Look at the responses.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Camping is not rocket science,but there is certainly a learning curve.

Bingo. Many of you forget that you, too, had to learn at some point. Just because someone doesn't pick up on something right away does not mean they don't have common sense-it just means they haven't learned it yet. Yes, some do over-complicate things but I'd say the majority of the time it's not because they want to, it's just they don't know any better-yet. I am always amazed at how fast people on here are to ridicule others who are less experienced than they are. Pride goeth before the fall. Uppity attitudes about how stupid others are be it at set-up, break down, the boat launch, backing in a unit etc. should be replaced with "I remember". Indeed there are some people who just won't get it but they, too, should not be scorned. Karma hurts.

Nobody is ridiculing anyone in this thread. I agree that you dont know what you dont know about camping until you start. It was the same for me but I read a lot on these forums and they helped me out tremendously.

I have never backed in a trailer, went to the dump station or knew how to setup or breakdown camp - so you read, watch others at the CG and ask your camping neighbors. Once you do it a few times you get comfortable with it.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I already know everything. I just join and read posts for amusement
:B

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS