Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: It sure is complicated.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> It sure is complicated.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Lwiddis

Near Cambria, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/19 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not complicated but you can't turn off your brain either.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some people simply do NOT know the proper procedure for learning. IMO not all minds are equal. For example, many motorhome drivers believe that a major voodoo side force "appears" instantly whenever a front tire suddenly fails (has a blowout). I personally do NOT go looking for the source of this side force. So, what is the proper procedure for learning the formula for the source of this force? Some people believe that the Michelin/Anderson video addresses this subject.
BTW did you see the show on TV about luxury Marathon motorcoaches? It made me feel like I needed to go to school and get a type rating for it before I could safely operate it.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ski Pro 3 wrote:

Ignorance is bliss. Life is so much simpler for the uninformed. All you have to do is walk away from the forum, stick your head in the sand and join the rest of the uneducated and enjoy life. Of course, the school of hard knocks might bite you in the butt. Which, for me, is when I am made aware of something I am either not doing, or not doing right, and ignoring it. Once I'm aware of a situation, I can NOT just ignore it. It will know that I know and it will bite me at the very first opportunity that it can. Next trip most likely.

For me, the only reason I get on this or most forums is for fun. I started looking at RV type in about '05, after I bought a camper. Now if I had started looking before I bought I might of bought something better suited to my needs, and not needed to change so much. If I walk away, I still know what I have learned. But over time, I would say the vast majority of what I have "learned" on RV forums is opinion that might be wrong for me, does not apply to me, or often just plain wrong.
I did not get thru Jr high, let alone high school. But the hard knock institute? Yes, I have the degree. And I have had enough problems I have got pretty good at figuring them out.
Lets take a look at what the OP calls "complicated"

pipe sizes and codes for home dump stations,

Most RVers don't put them in. Dad wanted FHU in back yard. I talked to a couple of the contractors I hauled for that install city sewers. Dad already had opened the basement floor, I borrowed a excavator, dug deep enough to get pipe below footing, put the power and phone on a shelf side of ditch, water on lower shelf. Replaced the 2 in drain from the kitchen end of house with 4 inch, sloped right and tied into the stack that drops to the line across street. Put a valve just above basement floor, so I can drain the FW line to well below frost. This was years before I had a computer.

how to deal with out of level dump stations, Another thing that if nobody saw it on the net would not be a thing because most would not notice.

what breeds of dogs will be acceptable in campgrounds, Never had or thought about this.

purifying lake water, If there is agriculture in the watershed, it will not be practical.

tire plugs or patches, This I spent a lot of money for tuition. Back when I was upgrading from tube-type to tubeless bias, drivers would find a flat first thing in the morning, plug the tire instead of changing, and I would buy a new tire. (With 50 of more rolling every day, there was a flat most days) Finally found a guy that would park his service truck in our lot, let his teenage son patch all flats he found every night.

the inside poop at Tesla, another does not matter to most

and where to stick your extension cord, If it is with you and not damaged, I think you did OK

and fridge operation on propane and its safety implications,

Yes, here can be some conflict. Propane safer than gas? Fueling? At gas station, that flame might be a long way from where you are pumping, and your careful to make sure all the gas out of your nozzle goes in the tank. But are you sure that it will not be close to the next island? And are you sure that the blonde pumping into her car while yelling at the kids won't spray the area?

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/19 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Yes, here can be some conflict. Propane safer than gas? Fueling? At gas station, that flame might be a long way from where you are pumping, and your careful to make sure all the gas out of your nozzle goes in the tank. But are you sure that it will not be close to the next island? And are you sure that the blonde pumping into her car while yelling at the kids won't spray the area?

Every time I read a thread related to this topic, I just think about all the times I've seen, heard of, or read about a RV blowing up at a gas station because someone left the fridge turned on.

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WTP-GC wrote:

Every time I read a thread related to this topic, I just think about all the times I've seen, heard of, or read about a RV blowing up at a gas station because someone left the fridge turned on.

Life is a gamble. The chance of any flame or spark starting a fire at a gas station are slim, but not zero. But if there is a fire, I lost big. What do I win if there is no fire? IMHO, the payout is way to small.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/19 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I already know everything. I just join and read posts for amusement
[emoticon]

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/19 04:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Camping is not rocket science,but there is certainly a learning curve.

Bingo. Many of you forget that you, too, had to learn at some point. Just because someone doesn't pick up on something right away does not mean they don't have common sense-it just means they haven't learned it yet. Yes, some do over-complicate things but I'd say the majority of the time it's not because they want to, it's just they don't know any better-yet. I am always amazed at how fast people on here are to ridicule others who are less experienced than they are. Pride goeth before the fall. Uppity attitudes about how stupid others are be it at set-up, break down, the boat launch, backing in a unit etc. should be replaced with "I remember". Indeed there are some people who just won't get it but they, too, should not be scorned. Karma hurts.

Nobody is ridiculing anyone in this thread. I agree that you dont know what you dont know about camping until you start. It was the same for me but I read a lot on these forums and they helped me out tremendously.

I have never backed in a trailer, went to the dump station or knew how to setup or breakdown camp - so you read, watch others at the CG and ask your camping neighbors. Once you do it a few times you get comfortable with it.

They over complicate things because they think their way is better not because they dont know how.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Crowe

Merrimack, NH (finally!)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/19 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They over complicate things because they think their way is better not because they dont know how.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. And maybe for them it IS better. Not all brains work the same.

Yes, people are ridiculing on this thread. It's all too common on this forum in general. IMHO the original post was an open invitation if not a direct solicitation to do just that. Look at the responses.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Emptied my trailer of the just in case, peace of mind, cheap insurance items. Now we travel much lighter and worry free.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

harryjr

SE CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/19 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are all ignorant. Just on different subjects.

Harry Jr.
Southeastern CT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> It sure is complicated.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS