cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

baltimore to cape cod

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
going to Baltimore to cape cod in july. leaving on a Saturday. best way to go to avoid traffic and tolls
10 REPLIES 10

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
That section of I-95 from New Haven to the CT line is all 2 lane road. When a truck tries to pass another, it backs up for miles. In addition, you never know what CT drivers are going to do because apparently a requirement to get a license there is the ability to read minds.

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
+1 for up downโ€™s route.

Up_DownDeCoast
Explorer
Explorer
Ed C wrote:
This might sound difficult but it's not. You should know the easiest way to get on I/78 near Allentown. Take I/78 to PA 33 to I/80 to US 209 to I/84 (at the PA-NY border) to I/90 (Mass Pike toll) to I/495 to Cape Cod. The Newburgh-Beacon bridge is about $10 for us 5 axles and the toll on I/90 is about $3; that's it for tolls. If you take I/287 over the Tappen Zee bridge the toll will be at least $ 20. Also make sure you have an EZ-Pass.
If you arrive between 9 AM and 9 PM at the Cape bridges be prepared for a long wait.

I've been going to the cape from Maryland every summer for the last 10 years. From Baltimore I'd take I83 north to I81 north. Then take I78 east to I287 north to the NY State Thruway. Then I would take the Tappen Zee (Mario Cuomo)bridge which links to I287 east across to I95 north. Take 95 all the way to Providence, RI. and I195 east right to the cape. I84 takes you too far north for the cape. Don't worry about the difference in tolls (10 vs 20) you would burn more in fuel then you would be saving in tolls going by way of I84. Actually, the highest price toll currently for a motorhome with 4 or more axles over the TZ bridge is only 12.75 not 20.00. As little as 6.88 depending on the time of day. I95 traffic north of NYC is not that bad on a Saturday. This is the shortest, fastest way with minimal tolls.
BTW:The TZ bridge is a cashless toll. There is no stopping to pay. Either you have EZ-Pass or you get the toll bill in the mail.
David and Wendy
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2021 Honda CR-V
Demco KarKaddy SS Tow Dolly

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
allbrandauto wrote:
going to Baltimore to cape cod in july. leaving on a Saturday. best way to go to avoid traffic and tolls

Up 83 to 81 to 78 to 287 north to 87 to Newburgh N.Y.
84 directly across Ct,easy ride now,to 90...mass Pike to 495
495 to ,25 and you have hit the Cape Cod area
Will you get traffic,absolutely some.....but it will be far less than any other way
We just did this exact route Thursday before Memorial Day weekend....have fun...C
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Ed C's route, but look at the terrain around Wind Gap on PA33 and you may just stay on I-78 to I-80 to US209.

When we go this way, we do I-84 to I-691 to CT66 to CT9 and join up with I-95 in Old Lyme. Then to I-195 to the Cape.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
May not like this, but if not driving after Midnight - then the only easy way is to Fly.

Seriously? It's just traffic. Driving in the wee hours of the morning is not necessarily safe. I totally understand trying to avoid the worst of it and this area has lots of it but anyone who's afraid to drive in traffic probably shouldn't have an RV. Kind of defeats the purpose of having one.

Have taken the Newburgh-Beacon bridge as well and it's not a bad route. Sometimes it is the less-traveled route. Biggest thing is to just be patient.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
allbrandauto wrote:

May not like this, but if not driving after Midnight - then the only easy way is to Fly.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
This might sound difficult but it's not. You should know the easiest way to get on I/78 near Allentown. Take I/78 to PA 33 to I/80 to US 209 to I/84 (at the PA-NY border) to I/90 (Mass Pike toll) to I/495 to Cape Cod. The Newburgh-Beacon bridge is about $10 for us 5 axles and the toll on I/90 is about $3; that's it for tolls. If you take I/287 over the Tappen Zee bridge the toll will be at least $ 20. Also make sure you have an EZ-Pass.
If you arrive between 9 AM and 9 PM at the Cape bridges be prepared for a long wait.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Do you plan on doing the drive in one day? If so by the time you get there traffic SHOULD have alleviated to the point of no issue getting over the bridge. If you are staying somewhere overnight then Sunday going over usually isn't a big deal.

When we head south we always avoid NYC by going down 84 to 287/87 to 78. Going the other way I would probably go up 83 to whatever way may be easiest to get to Allentown then pick up 78 from there and then up via 287/87 going over the Tappan Zee Bridge (toll). 84 connects with the Mass Pike, take that to 495 south to the Cape. There may be easier ways to cut across so you don't have to go all the way up to the Pike that I am not familiar with but they are mostly smaller highways that will have a fair amount of local traffic.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I would probably take I-83 to I-81 to I-84 and thence whatever seems to make sense, probably I-90 (some toll) to I-495. Traffic still will exist potentially heavy at times, and you'll still have to cough up a toll for the bridge over the Hudson (which is pretty hard to avoid in any case if you want to travel expiditiously from west to east).

I-84 is not the most pleasant road, but IMHO preferable to the alternatives. I-95 through NYC is miserable, and through Connecticut is no picnic either, particularly in the soutwestern section of the state towards NYC.

(Arguably the best way to avoid tolls and traffic is to take Amtrak, though I assume that's not very helpful for you.)