cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking custom rig

RVBaribob
Explorer
Explorer
I've been tent camping and boating for years, and am now looking for a lightweight TT so that my wife might join me. We've rented RV's a couple of times so I've a pretty good idea of what I want to get, but I've never seen a rig with the features I'd like. I'm looking for

- hardshell trailer that can be pulled by a 6 cyl Honda pilot
- standup size, w/hookups
- AC
- modest toilet facilities
- exterior pull out awning
(so far, pretty common, right?)
- exterior storage for chairs etc.
- exterior kitchen facilities

Its that last item I don't see on small RV's, except for teardrop style trailers. I just don't care for trying to cook, prepare meals and clean in a claustrophobic space. I like the camping life style, so opening up a stove, fridge and basin on the outside would be perfect. The inside would be a retreat for AC sleeping, TV watching, etc. It'd be a super bonus if the cooking facilities could be accessed inside AND out.

Any suggestions of manufacturers or models? Will I need to get something custom made? TIA
7 REPLIES 7

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I have a mor-ryde slide out tray in one of my storage compartments. I could certainly see that an afternoon of fabrication could turn that into an "outdoor cooking facility".

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
An outdoor kitchen usually takes space out of the bathroom and you still have an indoor kitchen.
I carry a knock-down 22” Weber charcoal kettle grill and a solid surface hot plate for cooking outside. I used to have a 2 burner Coleman camp stove which worked well.
I don’t have an outside sink, but it wouldn’t be difficult to rig one up. I do have an outside hose with a sprayer.
I have never liked the dorm style fridge found in most o/s kitchens.
As previously stated, you probably won’t find an o/s kitchen in something that can be pulled by your Pilot.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
tall order with that tow vehicle. build one might be your best bet if unwilling to upgrade to more vehicle.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
The wife picks the floor plan.

My wife wanted
* a pantry for groceries
* a closet for clothe storage
* a bath big enough to use easily
* a bed you could exit without crawling over your spouse
* room for two adults and dog if we had to stay inside
* no set up time for an overnight stop.

We came from a wilderness canoeing and tent background but wanted to tour the country.

We ended up with a 25 ft TT pulled with an F-150.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you think you want, rent one first. You will learns a lot quickly.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Sound like the new Sylvansport Vast might meet your needs? The slideout kitchen which expands the bathroom is pretty neat.

https://www.sylvansport.com/vast/

Not cheap however. None of their stuff is. But definitely different from the regular RV stuff, and seems to be well made.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think you will find anything like that already made. Possibly a better solution would be to get a folding table, put a nice portable grill or stove on the table and use that under the awning that almost all trailer are equipped with.

That way, you would still have the inside facilities available for those cold, rainy days that always seem to show up at least once during a campout. This has worked well for us for over 30 years. 🙂
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine