cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Eternabod Tape - Gutters

Carvhors
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All. I'm preparing to apply Eternabond tape along the sides of my trailer, where the rubber roof goes behind the gutter trim. I'm doing this as a proactive, precautionary measure before a leak presents itself.

The question I have is: What's the best way to apply the tape -
1. over the vinyl trim insert
2. remove the vinyl insert then apply the tape over the screw heads, or
3. Remove the gutter trim, apply the tape, then reinstall the gutter trim on top of the tape, then reinstall the vinyl insert.

I realize there may different preferences based upon aesthetics, amount of work required, etc. I'd would like to know how others have applied ET in this area and what is the optimaloptimal way to apply to prevent leaks.

I look forward to everyone's feedback! Thanks in advance!
9 REPLIES 9

Woodtroll
Explorer
Explorer
I did the exact same thing you're thinking of doing, but the Eternabond had trouble sticking to the irregular surfaces of the inside track, screwheads, etc. The flathead screws, countersunk, do help, but there's still a lot of irregularities there. So I bought some "doublesided" Eternabond tape, ran a strip of that inside the rail over the screwheads, and then lapped the white Eternabond down over double-sided tape down to the bottom lip of the rail. Having that extra thickness made a big difference in how smooth the finished job turned out to be.

Good luck!
Regan
2003 F250XL 4WD 7.3L Crewcab LB, 6 speed; Prodigy brake controller; Big Tex grille guard/ deer deflector. Canoe hauler and camping truck extraordinaire!
2003 Layton 242 Scout- Extra batteries, solar panels, LED lighting, and propane for boondocking.

Carvhors
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your input. Think I'm going to go with removing the insert, and replace the screws with flathead and countersinking them;, then applying EB overtop of that, leaving off the vinyl insert. Appreciate all of the feedback!

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, BarneyS! That is exactly what I was talking about. It's a great improvement in my opinion. ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Take a look at this thread made on another forum by one of your states very helpful members - John Barca. It describes, complete with many pictures, how he sealed up his camper with Eternabond tape - including the gutters. I think his post will help you a lot.

He is still active on our forums and used to have a post like the one I linked but Photobucket took his pictures down so the pics wouldn't show anymore. He will probably eventually get around to putting that post up here. ๐Ÿ™‚

Edit: I would do #2. In addition, I would remove each screw, squirt a bit of caulk into the hole and replace the screw - then cover with the Eternabond.

Another possible option would be to install RainKap in place of your existing gutters. It installs in place of the existing vinyl strip. I think this is what TurnThePage was talking about a couple of posts above. Looks like this product is very hard to find now and must be out of production.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Carvhors wrote:
gbopp wrote:
When I applied Eternabond to the roof edges on our 96 Southwind I put it on the top of the rain gutter.
It did a nice job and eliminated the seam between the roof and rain gutter.

Gbopp, did you remove the vinyl insert/strip and apply over the screwheads, or did you apply right over the strip, too?

I didn't have a vinyl strip. Just the metal rain gutter. I attached the E/bond to the roof and rain gutter.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
The gutters are attached to RV with screws. The vinyl insert covers the screws.

I replaced my vinyl inserts with a product that extended out a couple inches beyond the gutters, rendering them obsolete and unneeded, then ran the Eternabond onto that. The water has no chance of getting behind the gutters or near the screws. It isn't channeled to the ends of the gutters anymore, but it falls harmlessly to the ground without running down the side of the RV.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm puzzled, vinyl insert in a gutter? I haven't seen that, got a picture?

A termination strip at the front and/or rear may or may not have an insert. I would remove the insert and leave it out.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Carvhors
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
When I applied Eternabond to the roof edges on our 96 Southwind I put it on the top of the rain gutter.

Gbopp, did you remove the vinyl insert/strip and apply over the screwheads, or did you apply right over the strip, too?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer