cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EZ-Pass?

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
We have a trip planned for the eastern states. We will be traveling through OH, PA, NY, Conn, ME, VT, NH, Is there an EZ-Pass for the toll roads that we can get to cover more then one state? Some will be with the RV and some will be just with the truck. Also can we purchase it ahead of time or for instants we are spending the night in Youngstown, OH right on the border of PA. Could we buy one there? or is it best to purchase online? Thanks Deb
I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!
18 REPLIES 18

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Debbie wrote:
Question can we just pay the toll as we drive through? Don't want something that I have to keep a minimum balance on. We probably won't be through those states for a long time.

You can but..... To travel all the way across PA and pay cash it will cost $112.80 for a class 3 with 4 axles. Using an ez-pass for the same thing will cost $80.50.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Debbie wrote:
Question can we just pay the toll as we drive through? Don't want something that I have to keep a minimum balance on. We probably won't be through those states for a long time.

Of course you may pay more than the minimum balance in increased toll charges for cash customers.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
Debbie wrote:

some roads are ezpass only, and there may be times that they are unmanned.
IIRC my "deposit" was $25 and whenever my balance dipped below $15 they would raise it.
bumpy

X2!

Whatever the balance is it remains in the account until it is needed. So use it this year and then again in two years or so. The EZ-Pass lanes are just so convenient and you will never have to worry about having the correct amount of money. In Pennsylvania the unmanned cash lanes have a basket you toss the money in. They do not give change.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Debbie wrote:

IIRC my "deposit" was $25 and whenever my balance dipped below $15 they would raise it.
bumpy

X2!
Proud father of a US Marine

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Debbie wrote:

bumpy

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you can. In MA, they are cashless tolling which means you simply drive thru and a scanner reads your plate and you get a bill in the mail. NY is aiming to be cashless by end of next year. Already in use at 2 interchanges.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:
. You have to preload a minimum of $35.00 and maintain that amount. You add a credit or debit card and when the value drops below $35 it will automatically charge to get the balance back up to minimum.

Dave

these $$$ minimums, etc. vary among states. that is why I said to check out which state fits your needs. some even charge a monthly fee.
bumpy

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
I don't believe EZ-Pass works in Vermont or Connecticut but will work in the other states you mentioned. Personally, I would call EZ-Pass and ask which unit(s) to purchase. I'd offer you a phone number but they are specific to the State you call. You likely will need two units. I need one for when I'm in my car or truck without the camper and another one for when I am hooked up. The tolls are based on the number of axles you have.

I have an EZ-Pass from PA and I only need one transponder unit. In PA you enter the vehicles license plate numbers for all of your vehicles. I have my truck, my wife's car and my 5th wheel RV. They even provide Velcro for each car to mount the transponder. Simply take it out of one and stick it in the other.

You need to register it online and it could take a day or two so I would try to pre-purchase if at all possible. You have to preload a minimum of $35.00 and maintain that amount. You add a credit or debit card and when the value drops below $35 it will automatically charge to get the balance back up to minimum.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I think this page may also be helpful: https://www.ezpassde.com/pages/where_use_ezpass.shtml
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
An E-ZPass from NY or any other E-ZPass issuing state is good in all 16 E-ZPass states and the Central Florida Expressway. A NY E-ZPass with an auto refill account has no fees unless you want snail mailed statements. The NY Thruway also has a "Motorhome Plan" that only charges passenger car per axle rates regardless of how big the motohome is.

Toll Facilities Participating in E-ZPass

NY E-ZPass

NY Thruway Motorhome Plan Order Form

florida has it's own sun pass, ez pass does not work in florida anywhere that i know of.

ooop's my bad. they are experimenting with a visitor pass for rental cars from may 1st to july 31st.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

😛

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
An E-ZPass from NY or any other E-ZPass issuing state is good in all 16 E-ZPass states and the Central Florida Expressway. A NY E-ZPass with an auto refill account has no fees unless you want snail mailed statements. The NY Thruway also has a "Motorhome Plan" that only charges passenger car per axle rates regardless of how big the motohome is.

Toll Facilities Participating in E-ZPass

NY E-ZPass

NY Thruway Motorhome Plan Order Form
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
select the state you obtain the ezpass from based on fees, etc., I picked
DEL myself.
bumpy

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
AAA offices can set you up with EZ-pass. Once you get the transponder and the windshield sticker-on holder, you get online and set up your account. In PA, at least, you will have to load an amount into your account and set up an automatic payment once your balance goes below a certain amount.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU