Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Michigan & The Great Lakes bound, July 2019

SteveWoz
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Friends,

I'm planning a 3-week motorhome trip for my family of three from our home in Connecticut to the Great Lakes region. None of us have ever spent time in that area but it looks like Michigan has a lot to offer in terms of beauty within a reasonable driving area. Without knowing that part of the country, I hesitate making advance reservations out of concern that we may limit our flexibility. My question to those who know Michigan and the other Great Lakes states, is it ill-advised to wing it in July? I do understand that finding a campground on weekends would be tough but how about during the week? Also, can you please name some must-see locations? Thank you in advance.

Steve
17 REPLIES 17

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Best to avoid I-75 northbound fridays after 4 pm, and southbound sunday afternoon. It is a zoo.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I've lived in Michigan all my 69 years. Mostly in SW Michigan, but also 25 years split between Marquette in the U.P. and Gaylord, about 1 hour south of the Mackinac Bridge. My job required me to drive the north and U.P. those 25 years.

The U.P. has some excellent waterfalls, especially around Munising. In far western U.P. is the Porcupine Mountains SP. Some of the best hiking trails anywhere in the Midwest. The wilds abound in the U.P.

In the L.P. I'm partial to the west side along Lake Michigan. It's very popular, especially in the summer. Use http://www.campgroundreviews.com/ to search out private campgrounds in areas you might be interested in.

Still, don't avoid the Lake Huron side of the L.P. because it is less crowded than the west side, although there aren't any sand dunes like the west side. U.S.23 along the northeast L.P. offers some nice state parks and views of the lake.

The west side of Michigan has several fruit & vegetable growing areas. Summer is a great time to look for cherries and blueberries along the lakeshore.

Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore in the NW L.P. is very beautiful. You might check out Indigo Bluff campground (private) just east of Empire, MI along M-72 as a good spot to visit Sleeping Bear, Glen Arbor, Glen Lake, and the Leelanau Peninsula (Leland, Northport, and Suttons Bay) and just NW of Traverse City.

PS: I almost forgot Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore near Munising. Take the tourist boat trip, but you may have to make reservations in July. There is also a neat little campground in Grand Marais, MI called Woodland Park. They don't take reservations, but you may likely find a camping spot during midweek. Brimley State Park just east of Sault Ste Marie is very nice too.

Enjoy Michigan, we certainly do.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
Orchard Beach State Park doesn't get as much use since the beach is gone. Facilities are fine, but you need to go up or down the coast to find good sand.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
doxiemom11 wrote:
And, don't forget all the waterfalls in the upper peninsula. There should be maps available to their locations.

http://gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/maps/statemichigan.shtml

Michigan is a great camping destination. Like many mentioned, the state parks may be booked, but look into these: Hoeft, Wilderness, Indian Lake, Porcupine Mountains, Brimley for starters. (Michigan requires a state parks pass, I think its $30 or $35 for out-of-staters).

SteveWoz
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
State parks along the Lake Michigan shoreline are likely to be difficult to get into, because this is the side with the nice sandy beaches and it's very popular. That said, if you show up looking for a campsite mid-day on Sun-Thur you might be able to stay a night or two. Elsewhere, it will be somewhat easier to find campsites on the spur of the moment but you should have one or two nearby alternate CGs in mind.

Have a look online at Henry Fort Museum and Greenfield Village, if you don't mind dipping into the metro area. Frankenmuth has the world's largest year-round Christmas store, a brewery that serves good food as well as beer, and plenty of little shops to walk around in or restaurants to eat at. On the west side, Silver Lake SP has sand dunes you can drive around on (your vehicle or better yet rent a dune buggy there) plus a nice lighthouse to see. Ludington SP has a lighthouse you can walk to and a nice CG. Drive to the top of Sleeping Bear Dunes and get a good view of the lake far below. If you like canoeing or kayaking, consider going down any of the numerous rivers (rentals and transport available). Go to Mackinaw City and see, and hopefully find an excuse to drive across, the Mackinaw Bridge; there's also a little park and lighthouse on the shore there, many shops (buy fudge, caramel corn, souvenirs, etc.) Much more in the Upper Peninsula if you're thinking of going there.

Thanks so much for the tips about finding sites and for the great recommendations. I will be sure to check some of those out.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
If you're entering the state on the south end and want to get to the UP as fast as possible, I 75 is a fine choice. If you want to smell the roses, US 31 for the sunset side, US 23 for the sunrise side, both eventually lead to the Mighty Mack bridge.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
In the summer months camping and going "up north" is what Michiganders do. It will be difficult to impossible to get into any state park. Private parks can be full too on the weekends. Just be prepared to do a WalMart parking lot a time or 2. Do you have the RVPARKY app on your phone? It's a great app to find parks on your route. Gives lots of info and phone numbers so you can call while on the road to check availability.

Aside from Greenfield Village and The Henry Ford museum get out of the Detroit area as quickly as you can. Get above Saginaw and head to the coast and take the back roads and stay off I-75. Nothing to see on 75.

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Do not miss Mackinac Island. BTW, pronunciation: Mackinac is pronounced the same as Mackinaw. 🙂 There are several very large private campgrounds in/near Mackinaw City, so you might find a site to reserve shortly before your stay. Not sure about finding one as a drive-up. It's a pretty popular area.

The lower peninsula has some lovely little lakes, most sand-bottomed (a real treat with all the muddy-bottomed lakes in much of the Midwest). But we like the UP best too.

Ditto on the Henry Ford/Greenfield Village. It's a do-not-miss, IMO.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oops - double post

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
In my opinion, skip the lower peninsula and drive from Conneticut across Canada directly to the Upper Peninsula. That right there is the best part of Michigan.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
We love the UP of Michigan. There so much up there for about anyone. Tell us your familys' general interests and we will flood you with ideas.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I grew up in MI and I try to get back there every summer now that I'm in OK. Every time I go back, I'm struck by the scenery (that I was somewhat immunized to while I lived there). The trees, the nice green lawns, the blue water. I'm currently planning my July trip to the UP (upper peninsula).

MI is the only state where you can visit Hell and Paradise, theoretically in the same day. There are cold days in Hell, but fortunately you're coming in the warm months. Hell is in the LP and Paradise is in da UP... da Yoopers would like you to think that means something. 😉

JCK mentioned Mackinac Island... how did I forget that? From Mackinaw City you can ride the ferry to this no-motorized-vehicles island and see the fort, walk around the shope, take a ride on a horse-drawn conveyance, and rent bikes (or bring your own across) and ride around the perimeter of the island to enjoy the views. I had a summer job on the island during my college years... a memorable experience.

West of St. Ignace on US 2 the drive has some nice views of the lake and one good stretch of beach right off the highway where you can stop and enjoy the lake. But you can hit that on the way back. First, head north on I-75 to the Soo (Sault Ste. Marie) and visit the locks. Nearby Brimley SP is a nice place to camp, my DD tells me. Tahquamenon Falls is a natural choice to visit. Also head north of Paradise to Whitefish Point and see the shipwreck museum. Camping along Superior is good at Woodland Park in Grand Marais, and there's a sand dune bluff to climb just west of town. Continue west to Munising and, if the weather is calm and sunny, consider taking the sunset cruise along Pictured Rocks Natl Lakeshore (expensive, but entertaining). Another good CG at Bay Furnace west of town. There are many small waterfalls within easy driving distance of Munising, if that's something you like.

If you continue west, be sure to drive to the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula; M26 along the lake is scenic and you can stop to buy locally made jam at the monastery near Eagle River, and camp at Ft. Wilkins (see some old buildings and artifacts there too). Or McLain SP is right on Lake Superior, if you can get a site there. Farther west, Ontonagon has a nice municipal CG along the shore. Porcupine Mountains SP has a high overlook you'd like at their east unit, and the west unit has a scenic hiking path along the river with 3 small waterfalls in succession. Folks who are serious about backpack hiking can walk from the east unit to the west (or vice versa) parallel to the shoreline, and stay in a tent or cabin at the halfway point. Plenty of other hiking trails in this SP also.

On the way back, do not miss my favorite waterfall of Michigan: Bond Falls near Paulding. Stop in Escanaba at Sayklly's Candies for some great chocolates. Visit Fayette SP to see the 1800s buildings and artifacts. Don't miss the Big Spring at Palms Book SP, where the water is so clear you can see the (huge) fish near the bottom of the beautiful blue-green pool, 40 feet below you.

Oh by the way, in early July the fresh cherries grown near Traverse City and Leelanau can be found at many roadside stands. If you're in the UP in late July you might find wild blueberries, raspberries and thimbleberries (similar to raspberries but more fragile and more tart). I recommend buying some thimbleberry jam. Be sure to try the smoked fish sold around the UP, and try the pasties (pronounced with a short A, they are like pot pies).
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
And, don't forget all the waterfalls in the upper peninsula. There should be maps available to their locations.

JCK
Explorer
Explorer
Little more on the West Coast. From the south South Haven neat little town and a light house. Next Ludington more lighthouses , Badger a Lake Michigan people and car Ferry docks there. Pentwater and Silver Lake dunes. Further north Leelanau Peninsula a must see. Traverse City head up into the Peninsula and pick some sweet cherries. Mackinaw City Island take a ferry over to the island a take a step back in time. This is just the lower peninsula. The upper peninsula could take a couple more weeks
2019 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2500 RL