Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2018 TT has been deemed Total Loss by insurance company
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 2018 TT has been deemed Total Loss by insurance company

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brianosaur wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

Sorry to hear. That is a bummer - especially with summer in full swing.

I suspect it's because RVs have been built for years on the concept of "self contained". The fresh water tank and water pump would make such a drain unnecessary. So even with more and more folks using city hookups, the manufacturers see no need to change things.

Yeah, I guess so. Either, boondock with same size fresh tank as waste tanks, or use on-site city water with sewer as the overflow. Makes sense.

However the local county campground we weekend at is city water only on all sites, and a handful of sites with shore power.

Dump station on the way out for all.

I think I'd like to mod a drain into the floor or tub on my next TT.

I definitely will get those portable little water alarms for the bathroom and under cabinets.

You don’t leave your tank drains open even if you have a sewer hookup.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Crowe

Merrimack, NH (finally!)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/19 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could you possibly rent a cabin/trailer at a campground for the 4th? I'm sure availability is tight but it might salvage the week. Just a thought.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

brianosaur

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jkwilson wrote:

brianosaur wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

Sorry to hear. That is a bummer - especially with summer in full swing.

I suspect it's because RVs have been built for years on the concept of "self contained". The fresh water tank and water pump would make such a drain unnecessary. So even with more and more folks using city hookups, the manufacturers see no need to change things.

Yeah, I guess so. Either, boondock with same size fresh tank as waste tanks, or use on-site city water with sewer as the overflow. Makes sense.

However the local county campground we weekend at is city water only on all sites, and a handful of sites with shore power.

Dump station on the way out for all.

I think I'd like to mod a drain into the floor or tub on my next TT.

I definitely will get those portable little water alarms for the bathroom and under cabinets.

You don’t leave your tank drains open even if you have a sewer hookup.

Well perhaps YOU dont.
But not everyone does.

Gray tank open. Black closed.

I put a u bend "P trap" in sewer hose as a gas trap.

Black tank flush water hose on a "Y" at city water and two manual in line hose shut offs at the trailer inlet and Y.

SEE THIS

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brianosaur wrote:

...{snip}
My thought is why is there no safety overflow drain in the tub to the ground? A $25 drain would save $25k in losses....{snip}

With all due respect (and not flaming) with all of the several millions of showers taken, yours is a rare instance of operator error. RV mfgr's are not going to voluntarily add an item that will cost them profits when added into the many hundreds (thousand??) of units they make.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I live vicariously thorough the mistakes of others. And (not condescending) I do thank you for posting so that I make sure the next time I use an RV shower/ tub I will be extra sure of turning off fixtures.

Respectfully,
frank.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You know, that trailer is not really damaged. If one would open the belly and let it dry out, put in new insulation, and button it back up, it will be just fine. You should consider buying it back from the insurance company for salvage value.

Neil Citro

IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’d recommend filling the fresh tank and running off the pump even when you have city water available. That should prevent this situation.

2017 Grand Design Reflection 28BH
2012 Ford F250 SD 6.7L

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry that happened to you. Accidents happen.

I hope you don't get killed on depreciation with the insurance coverage.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 10:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well DTA has the first sane comment besides the folks who simply said sorry to hear about the issue.
Why not just use the camper? Did it fry some electronics or something?
Pull the belly cover and insulation out of it and go camping. It's summer. Sht dries out pretty quick.
BTW, the shower pan overflow is a good idea and sorry to hear about your camper.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 12:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, mold could become a problem in the ducts if they were full of water like he said... I see what you are saying Grit, but he's on the East coast and we are on the West coast and I don't think things dry as well over there?? (humid)

Anyway, no idea what I would do in that situation.. I stopped hooking up to city water a long time ago. Even with a sewer connection, but that's just me..

Good luck with it all OP.

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! "> Happy Camping!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Neil Citro wrote:

I’d recommend filling the fresh tank and running off the pump even when you have city water available. That should prevent this situation.

After seeing a boat go to the bottom because of a failed waterline...that's what we do on both boat and RV.

Plus it gives an audible warning. If you hear the water pump running and no one is using water, time to go look for the issue.

An overflow to the ground violates codes in most areas. Yeah it's an emergency backup but that doesn't mean it would be in code.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 2018 TT has been deemed Total Loss by insurance company
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS