cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What the normal expected discount off MSRP?

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
So what *should* be considered the general discounted price off MSRP?

Is 30% normal, 35% good & 40% great?

(see the super-awesome reason I'm in the market for a new TT HERE.)
17 REPLIES 17

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
We own a Jayco. Jayco lists a MSRP on their website. Based upon their listed MSRP, we got 36% off on our camper. That being said...

A lot of manufacturers don't list an MSRP. Dealers will advertise an MSRP, but if you compare them, those prices vary wildly.
As someone else stated, even Jayco's MSRP numbers probably aren't very true because market pricing is different in different regions and based upon sales volume too.

Find a forum for the make/model camper you want and start figuring out prices from there. That's about your best bet for determining what is a good deal.

At the end of the day, you're buying a depreciating asset that is meant for recreation. Try to get a good deal, but remember that this is likely "entertainment" money you are spending and don't worry too much about it. Any RV purchase is a poor spending decision =)!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

something else to consider , ,

The more expensive the unit, the more wiggle room they have.. That is uasually the case...

It will be hard to get 40% off a $30,000 -$50,000.00RV, but 40% off a $100,000.00+ unit is easier I believe..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
At the last RV show, some dealers had everything from 30% to 50% off MSRP. All had monthly payments listed. A lot of people donโ€™t buy on price, but on monthly payments.
I wouldnโ€™t offer anything until I had done my research on the model I want. Once I have a good idea of what the general price range was, then Iโ€™d offer x% off of whatever their โ€œMSRPโ€ is.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Its rare anyone other than the dealer or his finance mgr knows what a MSRP is for a particular unit. Also most not all, trailer mfg offer different MSRP pricing to high or low volume dealers.
My wife was a comptroller for a large rv/mobilhome dealer. They were a high volume dealer so got the better mfg pricing vs mom and pop lots with low volume sales. This doesn't equate to lower pricing for a high volume dealer as higher operational costs are involved in some cases.

This industry isn't like the auto industry where all vehicle mfg show the same MSRP and invoice pricing.

Best bet for a rv buyer is pick a model/floorplan you want then do a search for pricing at various high volume dealerships in your region. Then go to battle with their sales people just before the end of each month.
Mom and pop lots ?? Good luck there....but generally cash speaks volumes with them.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
30-35% is the norm!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Get competing offers from more than one dealer. After you get dealer 1 โ€œ lowest numberโ€, go to dealer 2 and let him know you already have an offer. And repeat as much as you want.

Been years since we bought ours and I donโ€™t remember the exact numbers, but the following is fairly close. Went to dealer 1 who had the model/floorplan we wanted and he said $40,000. Supposed MSRP was something like $53,000. Problem was the frame was badly rusted even though new. He offered to sandblast and repaint.
Went to dealer 2 who had the exact same 5er in all ways. He said $44,000. I said sorry, already got an offer for same rig for $40,000. He said Ohh, my mistake. My price is $38,000. Plus he threw in some extras. We were wanting to buy so we went for that price. Probably could have worked it a little lower.

Yeah, I've done that with cars.
But you need two dealers that have exact same model and you can drive to both to see them. Not always easy with RVs.

Ford has a dealer in practically every town, not Jayco or {insert name}

Just looking for a general starting point.

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I got 31% off my 05 DP Expedition.

Thanks for the info.

Other people just like to ramble.

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
we got 40% off our present Fifth Wheel, And I am pretty sure we also got that almost that much off our last 2 fifth wheels as well..

With that said.... those MSRP numbers are a bogus number... we went to several dealers that ALL had the same exact optioned RV, every one had a different MSRP...

At the end of the day, as long as your happy with the cost, its a great deal...

Thanks
Finally another answer to my question

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Cash is king. Always remember, they're a lot better at this game than you are.

Not really.
They want to make money on financing.

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:

With that said.... those MSRP numbers are a bogus number... we went to several dealers that ALL had the same exact optioned RV, every one had a different MSRP...

It depends on the brand. Jayco lists MSRP on their website. Rockwood / Flagstaff places a printout with MSRP, and included options, in every unit shipped, the same as a window sticker on a vehicle. A lot of dealers will remove it when its delivered. I am sure some others list it somewhere also, but most don't, nor do they care to.

we got 40% off our present Fifth Wheel, And I am pretty sure we also got that almost that much off our last 2 fifth wheels as well..

At the end of the day, as long as your happy with the cost, its a great deal...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Make them an offer which makes you comfortable/can afford, irrespective of
the % of MSRP. You never know they may say "yes";

A good deal is when both parties walk away happy.
Gerry

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is no "general discount" from MSRP.

How much below MSRP you can get depends on your ability to haggle with the dealer.

AND how much "wiggle room" the dealer has (IE how much profit the dealer must get to make a profit after paying employees, sales people, utilities, taxes, property and building costs, insurance and whatever "floor costs" are IE interest on the loan that the dealer takes out to buy the RV you are looking at).

Some dealers have lower costs, some dealers have higher cost so negotiate your best price you are comfortable paying and if the dealer is not willing to get close to your comfort price find another dealer then negotiate with them..

Get prices in writing and use the prices as a tool to get close to your comfortable price with the dealers..

HOWEVER, consider this, if you buy from a dealer farther away from you and expect a closer dealer to do the warranty work, you might find that your RV is very low on the priority list.. Many dealers will give THEIR customers that bought from them a higher priority over folks that did not buy from them..

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got 31% off my 05 DP Expedition.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.