Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What the normal expected discount off MSRP?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What the normal expected discount off MSRP?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
brianosaur

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So what *should* be considered the general discounted price off MSRP?

Is 30% normal, 35% good & 40% great?

(see the super-awesome reason I'm in the market for a new TT HERE.)

* This post was edited 06/17/19 03:28pm by brianosaur *

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cash is king. Always remember, they're a lot better at this game than you are.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get competing offers from more than one dealer. After you get dealer 1 “ lowest number”, go to dealer 2 and let him know you already have an offer. And repeat as much as you want.

Been years since we bought ours and I don’t remember the exact numbers, but the following is fairly close. Went to dealer 1 who had the model/floorplan we wanted and he said $40,000. Supposed MSRP was something like $53,000. Problem was the frame was badly rusted even though new. He offered to sandblast and repaint.
Went to dealer 2 who had the exact same 5er in all ways. He said $44,000. I said sorry, already got an offer for same rig for $40,000. He said Ohh, my mistake. My price is $38,000. Plus he threw in some extras. We were wanting to buy so we went for that price. Probably could have worked it a little lower.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/19 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I disagree, 2oldman. Similar to car dealers, RV dealers make money on financing. I suggest driving your best deal and then paying cash.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/19 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got 31% off my 05 DP Expedition.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no "general discount" from MSRP.

How much below MSRP you can get depends on your ability to haggle with the dealer.

AND how much "wiggle room" the dealer has (IE how much profit the dealer must get to make a profit after paying employees, sales people, utilities, taxes, property and building costs, insurance and whatever "floor costs" are IE interest on the loan that the dealer takes out to buy the RV you are looking at).

Some dealers have lower costs, some dealers have higher cost so negotiate your best price you are comfortable paying and if the dealer is not willing to get close to your comfort price find another dealer then negotiate with them..

Get prices in writing and use the prices as a tool to get close to your comfortable price with the dealers..

HOWEVER, consider this, if you buy from a dealer farther away from you and expect a closer dealer to do the warranty work, you might find that your RV is very low on the priority list.. Many dealers will give THEIR customers that bought from them a higher priority over folks that did not buy from them..

fitznj

nj

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/19 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make them an offer which makes you comfortable/can afford, irrespective of
the % of MSRP. You never know they may say "yes";

A good deal is when both parties walk away happy.

Gerry

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/19 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we got 40% off our present Fifth Wheel, And I am pretty sure we also got that almost that much off our last 2 fifth wheels as well..

With that said.... those MSRP numbers are a bogus number... we went to several dealers that ALL had the same exact optioned RV, every one had a different MSRP...

At the end of the day, as long as your happy with the cost, its a great deal...

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

With that said.... those MSRP numbers are a bogus number... we went to several dealers that ALL had the same exact optioned RV, every one had a different MSRP...

It depends on the brand. Jayco lists MSRP on their website. Rockwood / Flagstaff places a printout with MSRP, and included options, in every unit shipped, the same as a window sticker on a vehicle. A lot of dealers will remove it when its delivered. I am sure some others list it somewhere also, but most don't, nor do they care to.

brianosaur

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/19 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Cash is king. Always remember, they're a lot better at this game than you are.

Not really.
They want to make money on financing.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What the normal expected discount off MSRP?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS