cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Directv On The Road Satellite Options and Equipment

Loving_God_s_Co
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all! I'm wanting to get satellite and internet service for when we're traveling. Right now we're camping at a place where there's little to no service and we're dealing with severe weather in the area and I can't get service to keep track of the storms on radar!!

So this won't happen, I'm needing recommendations for the best DirecTV package that has both satellite TV and internet and recommendations for the best equipment. Thank you so much!!
God Bless and Happy Traveling!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
13 REPLIES 13

Loving_God_s_Co
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your info.! Obviously I have some research to do!
God Bless and Happy Traveling!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Op is gone.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can change locals everyday with DISH. I was never able to change with DTV.

You donโ€™t switch between east or west while watching. You SELECT east or west from a menu you get when you connect the Pathway. You can get everything on either set.
It DOES only gets one sat at a time and switches between sats automatically.
The second tv can only watch channels on which sat the primary tv is on.

We were in FL Sunday, Albany GA yesterday and Helen GA today.
I changed locals everyday. You have to call.

If you have an RV account (vs Residential acct) you can change locals with their app from a Smart phone. I can reauthorize my sat box from my phone.

I must stay in too many shady campgrounds but I havenโ€™t used my rooftop dome in years.

I consider them useless.

I switched from DTV to DISH and bought a Winegard Pathway X2 auto seek carry out dish that gets HD. Pathway is the only one that lets you choose either east or west sats.

This is an advantage when there are trees or hills. The east sats are in a different area of the sky than the west sats so you have options when there trees.

Directv is not RV friendly.

Sat internet is very pricey and slow.

We use Verizon. I just bought a Wilson Weboost RV and it is working great in weak areas.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
While the info about DirecTV is accurate, DISH uses 2 sets of 3 satellites and those that travel coast to coast my be required to use the Eastern set of satellites (EA or Eastern Arc) to receive local Network programming. Most domes antennas (and none of the open face antennas) can automatically switch between the WA and EA set of satellites.
As to the "do you want to pay" question, YES, I want to pay to ensure I have TV everywhere I go. The OTA antenna cannot do that! You might say that satellite cannot either since a tree blocking the signal would prevent that. The good news is that my RV has wheels. I can move a few feet (or more) and I WILL have a clear view. With nearly 20 years of practice I can tell you that I CAN get satellite TV EVERYWHERE!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
YOu may wish to consider DISH instead of DirecTV Since AT&T took over DirecTV they do offer Sat-TV/Internet bundles but.. they are different services. either two dishes (Via-Sat is the other dish and not really a good RV choice from what I understand) or Internet yia land line (not good for RV either).

Xfinity (i think) if you have an account (VERIFY BEFORE YOU BUY) you may be able to connect as "Guest" on other people's routers VERIFY BEFORE YOU BUY. I AM NOT SURE OF THIS.

DirecTV I'm told is dropping or has dropped service on Sat 101 (SDTV) but is still prociding 99/103 (HDTV but rumors abound on the future of it as well as AT&T tries to force everyone to land line.

Dish still works.

Direc HDTV only works with Dish style antennas. Domes and In-motion are not going to work Dish it's a bit more complex

A Single channel receiver will work with a Dome In-Motion or not or with a Dish provided the dome is one that can re-point under receiver control This includes most of the portable "Cube" or Dome type antennas.
MUlti-channel systems need a Triple LNB dish or multiple domes as sure as I'm typing one channel is going to be looking for one satellite (bird) and the other(s) will want different bird(s).

NO matter what antenna you use get one that sets on the ground away from your RV (Even if you have an automatic on the roof) as.. Well the evil signal eating tree I am parked under as I type will eat the roof mount's signal.

Finally: Do you really want to pay 100/month give or take for TV when .. Well I( pay 25/year for a TV guide and use my "Batwing".
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
In another thread the Garmin InReach is being discussed. One of its many features is downloading weather info from the satellite network, anywhere in the world.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
You can get basic forecast and radar from the weather channel by adding a zip code. If you want a better forecast just use the ota. For internet I use a Verizon MIFI, which is all I use in the stick an brick also.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
rr2254545 wrote:
In addition Direct TV will not give you local weather outside of your home area - that would be changing addresses often and that is not part of their service although some people say they can call in and have them change it

DTV (and DISH) cannot give you local anything (or any Network programming) outside of your home area. If you want local info it just generally takes raising your OTA antenna and watching the local news and weather. If you will be in an area for an extended period you can call either service and have your "service address" changed. If you travel full time you can get DNS Networks and then only have to deal with the OTA antenna for the 5 o'clock news!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Are you stuck on using DTV? Dish has a better choice of equipment and plans for RV use including a month to month prepaid plan that you drop when you don't need it. Dish also makes it very easy to change to the locals where you are. For Internet, most of us are using cell based plans primarily from Verizon or AT&T. Satellite Internet is available, with equipment costs starting around $1K and up. Setting up with each move can be time consuming.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
In addition Direct TV will not give you local weather outside of your home area - that would be changing addresses often and that is not part of their service although some people say they can call in and have them change it
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
If your wallet is extra thick:

In-motion satellite data
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best for DirecTV is the Winegard Trav'ler and a Genie receiver or any receiver you currently use at home (just move it to the RV).
As mentioned, DTV does not offer internet. Your best option will be a good cell plan with as much data as you can afford. This won't help if you travel to remote locations frequently with little or no cell service. If that's the case you can get satellite internet service but it requires large, manually setup and stored antenna and receiver equipment. It's a bit pricey but it works anywhere in the US (lower 48) you have a clear view of the Southern Sky.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
No Dtv package has internet. Get a smartphone and a decent provider.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman