cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Northwestern Nevada

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for referrals to dry camping / boondocking locations in Northwestern Nevada. I want to be isolated as the goal is to find the darkest skies. We do photography of the stars. Can anyone give me a referral to a site?
There is something special about camping in an RV.
9 REPLIES 9

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
Looking at a map...see Denio Junction on 295 north of Winnemucca? Go west on 140 about 15 miles. Bog Hot road on the right. Maybe 5 miles to the hot springs...and the whole outdoors to enjoy.

Gary Haupt

Thanks, yes, I am looking at Youtube, Google Maps, and Google Earth and beginning to get my bearings. This forum has been really helpful.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at a map...see Denio Junction on 295 north of Winnemucca? Go west on 140 about 15 miles. Bog Hot road on the right. Maybe 5 miles to the hot springs...and the whole outdoors to enjoy.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is Great Basin Nat Park too far away? It's in northeastern Nevada. Some of the best dark sky I have ever seen. This was in late September, after a dusting of snow -- taken from Mather Overlook. Bring a jacket:

Click For Full-Size Image.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

caver
Nomad
Nomad
As mentioned the Black rock playa. I camped along the western edge where the vegetation starts. It was a few weeks after Burning Man and they had opened the area back up. If it's windy that will kick up a bunch of dust especially out in the middle.

Another area you might like is west of Denio Junction and south a few miles off 140. It's called Virgin Valley CG. There's a hot spring there with a proper pool built. The water seeps up ender the gravel on the bottom but there may be other campers there. They have a shower house using the spring water. Back towards Denio Junction is Bog Hot Spring. May be campers there too.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
Does this help? If it does, you're welcome.

Looks like anywhere north of Reno is a potential site.

Thanks - I already have the dark sky finder. Am really looking for some "go here" recommendations.

Figured you might. Sorry.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
If you are willing to be in the middle of nowhere with nothing near by, check out the Black Rock Desert BLM area.. Just don't go during the Burning Man Event!

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:

Thanks - I already have the dark sky finder. Am really looking for some "go here" recommendations.

djmikel
Explorer
Explorer
Google "Massacre Rim Nevada". The area has just been added as an International Dark Sky Sanctuary.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer

Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)