Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Flat tow mini truck Honda Acty Daihatsu Hijet Carry Sambar
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  General Topics

> Flat tow mini truck Honda Acty Daihatsu Hijet Carry Sambar

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Ocrv

Usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello. Looking to buy a 4x4 manual mini truck to flat tow behind my rig. Was hoping someone that does it could chime in on how to do it properly. Specifically, what make, model, year mini truck is best suited for flat tow, how to install tow bar base plates, and procedures to prep the mini truck prior to towing.

Cheers !

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/19 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finding any base plates for something like those is probably going to be next to impossible. I'd start searching the sites of BlueOx, RoadMaster and Demco. Probably need to be something custom made.

If you really want a truck look to the Ranger or Colorado and see if they are flat tow-able.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

Lwiddis

Veterans’ Park, Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/19 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"chime in on how to do it properly."

Check with the manufacturer with accurate specifications of the vehicle to determine if it is four down towable.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Ocrv

Usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Y-Guy wrote:

Finding any base plates for something like those is probably going to be next to impossible. I'd start searching the sites of BlueOx, RoadMaster and Demco. Probably need to be something custom made.

If you really want a truck look to the Ranger or Colorado and see if they are flat tow-able.

Thanks.

Yes. Something likely will have to be fab’d.

Pretty set on a mini truck. Wanted to know which one is most compatible for flat tow

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/19 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a hijet I use in the woods, the sticker in the cab says off road only.

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/19 05:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

I have a hijet I use in the woods, the sticker in the cab says off road only.

THe ones you mentioned are, to my understanding, not street licensable , at least in Florida.

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I googled Honda Acty street legal and one of the suggested links read “Closest thing to a death trap that’s street legal”, lol.
Not at all sure about flat towing though.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/19 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This link will tell you which common mini-trucks are towable. LINK

Rangers are tricky as the towability changes from year to year. It seems all Dakotas are okay, the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon are twins and okay. Best to check years and compatibility.

Base plates are sort of but not exactly matched to tow bars. You can use a Remco towbar with a RoadMaster baseplate but with special adapters. I'd look at buying a matched set. Some like mine are very heavy but some are much lighter.

Not familiar with Demco or BlueOx instructions but remember sometimes like with my GV, there were changes throughout the years they were made and the instructions were not perfect. YouTube usually has videos on installations.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

Ocrv

Usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris Bryant wrote:

I googled Honda Acty street legal and one of the suggested links read “Closest thing to a death trap that’s street legal”, lol.
Not at all sure about flat towing though.

lol

Ocrv

Usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the kind of JDM Mini Truck I’m after: https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1992-daihatsu-hijet-deck-van/

Federal DOT 25 year old and EPA 21 year old exemptions can apply for importing these. But I just found this link and for the most part these aren’t legal on most state highways.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tfltruck.com/2014/08/heres-the-skinny-on-mini-truck-legalities-in-each-state/amp/

My intention is to dinghy tow and use on dirt roads, local roads, but it appears to tow it to my destinations it’ll have to be 4 tires off the ground on a flat bed utility trailer.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  General Topics

> Flat tow mini truck Honda Acty Daihatsu Hijet Carry Sambar
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS