Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Flat tow mini truck Honda Acty Daihatsu Hijet Carry Sambar
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  General Topics

> Flat tow mini truck Honda Acty Daihatsu Hijet Carry Sambar

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Ocrv

Usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the link DE Bishop. That link is an Invaluable resource

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ocrv wrote:

This is the kind of JDM Mini Truck I’m after: https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1992-daihatsu-hijet-deck-van/

Federal DOT 25 year old and EPA 21 year old exemptions can apply for importing these. But I just found this link and for the most part these aren’t legal on most state highways.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tfltruck.com/2014/08/heres-the-skinny-on-mini-truck-legalities-in-each-state/amp/

My intention is to dinghy tow and use on dirt roads, local roads, but it appears to tow it to my destinations it’ll have to be 4 tires off the ground on a flat bed utility trailer.

My dad had one of these in Montana for a while. He was able to license it for the street, and I've seen a couple even here in Washington state. He ended up getting rid of it because stock it had terrible ground clearance and just didn't suit his needs. He ended up with a Kubota RTV and is much happier with that. (it's licensed for road use in MT as well)

If you plan on using it on local roads you may need it licensed as well. I drove his into town once, and it's downright frightening above about 35 mph.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ocrv wrote:

My intention is to dinghy tow and use on dirt roads, local roads, but it appears to tow it to my destinations it’ll have to be 4 tires off the ground on a flat bed utility trailer.

In most states, a flat-towed vehicle must be registered or have a trip-permit issued, so trailering is probably the way to go for this reason alone.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Ocrv

Usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

Ocrv wrote:

This is the kind of JDM Mini Truck I’m after: https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1992-daihatsu-hijet-deck-van/

Federal DOT 25 year old and EPA 21 year old exemptions can apply for importing these. But I just found this link and for the most part these aren’t legal on most state highways.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tfltruck.com/2014/08/heres-the-skinny-on-mini-truck-legalities-in-each-state/amp/

My dad had one of these in Montana for a while. He was able to license it for the street, and I've seen a couple even here in Washington state. He ended up getting rid of it because stock it had terrible ground clearance and just didn't suit his needs. He ended up with a Kubota RTV and is much happier with that. (it's licensed for road use in MT as well)

If you plan on using it on local roads you may need it licensed as well. I drove his into town once, and it's downright frightening above about 35 mph.

Atv/utv/rtv no bueno for Cali roads. Micro van/trucks can be.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  General Topics

> Flat tow mini truck Honda Acty Daihatsu Hijet Carry Sambar
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS