cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toby is now waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Three days ago I had to have my Cocker Spaniel Toby put down. We had him for 15 years and I had got him at a very difficult time in my life. He helped me through quite a bit of serious health issues and no matter what he was feeling always had a warm greeting for me.

Last summer the vet said he probably wouldn't last until Thanksgiving because of his cancer. I opted for comfort care rather than chemo due to his age. He stayed relatively strong and happy and then he couldn't get up all of a sudden. I helped him to his feet and he took a few steps and fell over. I knew it was time but oh so very hard. By the time I got him to the vet he was barely still alive. He went peacefully while I held him.

He was a very special companion to me and I will be looking for him as I get to the Rainbow Bridge.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
15 REPLIES 15

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:
OP Here,

Thank you all for your kind words of support.

We have other dogs and I love them all but Toby was special because when I was so sick and had open heart surgery he was the one that stayed right with me only leaving to go outside and a quick meal. Up to his last day wherever I was he was right beside me. Being the oldest he was the other dogs mentor and helped keep them in line. They are wondering around still looking for him. With his age he could no longer get up on the bed and would scratch at the side until you lifted him in. I swear that I have heard him a few times only to get up and find that he is not there. I know that things will get easier with time.

Dave
Very sorry to hear of your loss of Toby. After just losing my Collie last month I understand completely. Cooper was such a presence it sure seems empty without him.

I have a Collie pup I got just two months before Cooper's passing. In that short time Cooper taught him a lot.

I know things will be difficult for a while but hope time heals some of your pain, Toby will be in your heart forever just like Cooper will be in mine.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure you did hear him. The same happened with me when my Missy died. I heard her for weeks after.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
OP Here,

Thank you all for your kind words of support.

We have other dogs and I love them all but Toby was special because when I was so sick and had open heart surgery he was the one that stayed right with me only leaving to go outside and a quick meal. Up to his last day wherever I was he was right beside me. Being the oldest he was the other dogs mentor and helped keep them in line. They are wondering around still looking for him. With his age he could no longer get up on the bed and would scratch at the side until you lifted him in. I swear that I have heard him a few times only to get up and find that he is not there. I know that things will get easier with time.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

keepmotoring
Explorer
Explorer
I am so sorry about the loss of Toby. I just hope all the wonderful memories will help you through this difficult time.
LUVRVN

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your loss. No matter what it's never easy. As hard as it was you did the right thing.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sorry for your loss. Toby loved and was loved by you which he knew. It's not easy losing them to be sure.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your loss. Toby sounds very loved. So hard to let them go when it is time.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Toby was a lucky guy to have all that love for so many years. Good job. So sorry for you loss.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Toby clearly had a long and very-loved life! So sorry for the loss of your Buddy 😞
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Bless you for your care of Toby. We all share your grief as we all know to well the lost of a furry friend. May you be comforted by the Happy Memories and the thought of being together once again on the other side of the "Bridge"!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved companion. He knew you were there for him and your closeness gave him comfort.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I am saddened to hear this news.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dturm
Dave, I'm glad you were able to repay the comfort he gave you during your difficult times. I'm also sure he knew the special bond and love you shared. Sorry for your loss.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear of your lose.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch