cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Vehicle

pdxcamper
Explorer
Explorer
I am close to purchasing a 2020 Keystone Cougar bunk house (29BHSWE) and will be pulling it with a 2018 Ford Expedition Limited Max. Tow capacity of 9000lbs. Weight of trailer is 6,810 dry and GVWR 8800.

Has tow package and class IV hitch.

Thoughts? For my TV no other options as I have 4 kids. Appreciate feedback.
16 REPLIES 16

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
Go off the sticker in the drivers door.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm possibly wrong on this---the vehicle capacity includes gas??? IF so, add the weight of passengers and gas into vehicle capacity.
Are the tow vehicle tires highly weight rated?
Your call, but IMHO, the tow vehicle is a little light to use with this trailer. Most of us on this forum are RVers and have pretty good knowledge. For God's sake, don't listen to a salesperson telling you that "your rig will pull it." Remember that a Toyota pickup pulled the space shuttle.

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
It almost always comes down to vehicle cargo carrying capacity over gross trailer weight. My CrewMax was rated for 10,400 lbs which is great, but the cargo was 1,387 lbs which is anemic. Once the hitch got lowered I was always over on the cargo. They all love to advertise off the gross tow rating but at the end of the day, check the cargo.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
OP still hasnโ€™t posted his/her payload. Hmmm...unhappy?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
tow rating don't mean much. your fighting the payload fight. how much payload does your door sticker say and how much will your family weigh?
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wouldn't do it with my truck that has a "#11,000" tow rating... No way, and there are only 2 of us in the truck..

But, I've seen stuff going down the road that I would not tow either, yet there they are going down the road..

Your choice..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
OP was probably told โ€œ..itโ€™ll tow anything on the lot! Honest!โ€ And hasnโ€™t post the payload.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

APT
Explorer
Explorer
That will be abut 8k loaded for a long weekend with 1000-1100 pounds of TW. Verify your receiver limit supports that. Add weight of your family to TW and verify your Expy has enough payload per driver's door Tire and Loading sticker.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
trailer_newbe wrote:
Usually the cargo carrying capacity of the tow vehicle is the killer. My Tundra was well within the CVW of the trailer, but with only 1,387 in cargo capacity, the truck I was alway a few hundred over every time we towed.

The Expedition Max has pretty good capacity, even the nicely optioned one I saw at the auto show had 1700+ pounds, but that's probably not enough for a family of 6 and such a heavy trailer. Over 7k pounds is either max half ton or 3/4 ton territory when you run the numbers. Trailer at 8k pounds and 13% tongue weight is 1,100 pounds after you add weight distribution, 4 kids at 80 pounds each is 320 which leaves <300 for Dad, Mom, and everything else in the tow. The other problem is going to be rear axle capacity, with 1,100 on the receiver and a full passenger compartment you'll probably be well over but it's hard to know without actually doing a CAT scale.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
It is simply not a good idea to be over, but tow with what you have and see how it goes. Once youโ€™re in the wind, or a semi passing you, youโ€™ll know. Once you have to go through a mountain pass with steep upgrades and downgrades your mind will be made up. Your not so far over itโ€™s dangerous as long as you give yourself some room and time. For me it took several thousand miles of varied terrain and I knew.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you're in the market for a 3/4 ton Suburban.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
And no water in the tanks means passing up beautiful camping opportunities.

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
You're going to be over your capactiy some. Be sure you pack lightly, especially no water in the tanks. Your camper is 800# more than mine and I know I would not want to go with a bigger TT.
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
Usually the cargo carrying capacity of the tow vehicle is the killer. My Tundra was well within the CVW of the trailer, but with only 1,387 in cargo capacity, the truck I was alway a few hundred over every time we towed.