Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: mild rant, contractors and repair folks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> mild rant, contractors and repair folks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

your right. just had a roof repair about 2k, found a bad spot on my shop called the same company, lady says there only doing total roof jobs now DON,T HAVE TIME FOR SMALL REPAIRS. bet I don,t ever call them again,and in five years they,ll wonder why there going belly up.

I doubt he will go out of business because you won't call him back because he can't do your job. As a contractor myself making it unscathed thru the great recession I understand completely why we turn down jobs. I try my absolute best to take care of my past customers but I along with others cannot presently take on every job that comes our way these days. Too much work and to little help. Your going to have to wait or move on to someone else. It's not like we don't want to help you it's just sometimes we can't. No need to be upset with them it's just how busy things are right now.

I just recently had a past customer that I did work for the past 10 years call another builder friend of mine (I'm pretty sure he didn't realize we are good buddies) for a home remodel. I am pretty sure it was because I was too busy to do some work at his dad's house last year as he was always happy with the work that was done at his home. Yes it kind of sucks but what else can we do.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/19 10:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

W have a leaking gray water valve. Was referred to a local RV mobile Tech near Jonesville, Michigan.
Said he would be at the campground on Thursday about 5:00. So instead of out enjoying ourselves w sat and we sat and we waited.
he never showed. Called him and he gave excuses and said he would work us in on Thursday,he never showed. So called him again ad said we were moving to different campground on Friday and could he come there. He basically chewed my wife out and said he told us he would try to work us in but that he had 50 other Customers. He gave us the time and a commitment. Wife delted his nme from phone but if I find it I will post it all over Southern Michigan where 80% of the people are wife's relatives.

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 02:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

Wife delted his nme from phone but if I find it I will post it all over Southern Michigan where 80% of the people are wife's relatives.

ROFLMAO...

I bet he's shaking in his boots since your wife has about 7.5 million relatives [emoticon]

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see some reasons for this, and it is baked in to the system. In times past most men got out of school, worked in the factory until they retired. The people that did service jobs where the ones that understood costumer service. Now most are working some kind of service, and would be better qualified hanging fenders on the line.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

midnightsadie wrote:

your right. just had a roof repair about 2k, found a bad spot on my shop called the same company, lady says there only doing total roof jobs now DON,T HAVE TIME FOR SMALL REPAIRS. bet I don,t ever call them again,and in five years they,ll wonder why there going belly up.

I doubt he will go out of business because you won't call him back because he can't do your job. As a contractor myself making it unscathed thru the great recession I understand completely why we turn down jobs. I try my absolute best to take care of my past customers but I along with others cannot presently take on every job that comes our way these days. Too much work and to little help. Your going to have to wait or move on to someone else. It's not like we don't want to help you it's just sometimes we can't. No need to be upset with them it's just how busy things are right now.

I just recently had a past customer that I did work for the past 10 years call another builder friend of mine (I'm pretty sure he didn't realize we are good buddies) for a home remodel. I am pretty sure it was because I was too busy to do some work at his dad's house last year as he was always happy with the work that was done at his home. Yes it kind of sucks but what else can we do.

Dan

I'd much rather a business be honest with me than tell me they can do the little job only to find I keep getting bumped as bigger jobs take precedence.

The customer is not always right. There are times when it makes sense to let a customer go.

All these "in the old days" threads tend to be looking at the past with rose colored glasses while only considering the one incident today. I can recall as a kid people complaining about curmudgeonly business owners...yet they operated seemingly forever.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea, there is another side as always.

I have run a small landscaping maintenance company for years. It has gotten smaller, now I am down to myself and some part time help, and using other sub contractors.

I do not pickup the phone when it rings due to spam calls - otherwise I would never get anything done. People have to leave a message. If it is not important enough to leave a message, please don't bother me.

If you are not an existing customer of mine and you actually make the effort to leave a message, I still may not call you back - I am very busy, and it is tiresome to me and seemingly annoying to some people when I call them back just to say I don't have time to do the work.

If you are calling around to get "bids" for work, please call someone else. I am too busy to go around "bidding" on jobs for people who only want to pay the absolute lowest amount for a job. If you got my name from a friend or neighbor, then you know at least some people think I am good. My prices are what they are, if you want to be a customer than that's my price.

If I take you on as a customer, stop questioning my bills and my work. It is one thing when you have "real" questions about a job or the costs, but don't try to nickel and dime me to death.

"I can get that plant for less at Walmart" - then go buy it and plant it yourself.

"I don't think you were here for 1 1/2 hours -- it was more like 1 hour and 15 minutes".

"When I was in high school I didn't make that much money doing work like that" - this isn't 1960.

NO! I do NOT "make that much money" - my company is charging you, I "make" a percentage of that bill as income. There is insurance, maintenance of equipment, fuel bills, local - state - federal taxes, etc etc.

"When I was in charge of scheduling for (insert name of large corporation) I made sure everything was in place and ready to go" - Great! So you were a good employee for someone else and had the people and resources of a large company to play with.

I am not impressed.

I run everything in my business, I don't have people to take care of things, especially now that I have gotten older and reduce the size of my company.

Yes, I have become that local grumpy old handyman / contractor. If you are an established customer, I'll be there in 10 minutes. If not, maybe if I am in the mood in a couple years I might show up.

I need to go camping!

* This post was edited 06/19/19 05:37am by Tvov *

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The shop at the RV parts store where I work leaves one day open over the summer for a "walk-in buffer". The Cape is a destination for RVers and getting to vacation and having something break is stressful. For example, a Cruise America renter came in last week with a dead house battery. Seeing that he was at a state park with no electric, it would certianly screw up his vacation. If you've never rented from CA, they put the battery in a locked compartment with a bar across the battery with security screws (like you see on the partitions in public bathrooms). The shop had this customer back to the campground within 2 hours.

We provide this type of service all summer. Most of the google reviews are complaining about the price. Sometimes you just can't win.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

I do not pickup the phone when it rings due to spam calls - otherwise I would never get anything done.

OMG - YES! I can't believe how many spam calls our businesses get in the course of a day. It was bad before; but our website now includes adding listings to Facebook Marketplace. Being there has added a whole 'nother level of "Spam Hades"

I don't even remember what company was supposed to be at our home at 8:30 AM (and of course I was taking time off work to be there), but I DO remember calling at 12:30 PM, quite peeved because nobody had shown up. The cheery girl on the phone said "Oh, you'll like "Joe" - he's very professional" I replied "No, he's NOT professional because he would have taken 10 seconds to call me and tell me when he hoped to arrive"

I think in most cases, just a bit of communication would help overall customer service for ANY company.

Back to spam calls: my favorite is "Your vehicle warranty is about to expire" because if I have a free moment, my next question is: "Which vehicle?" (We own a used-car lot....LOL!)

jrs1871

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/19 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It really boils down to common courtesy which seems to be a rarer commodity these days. I ran my own business for 22 years. I obviously gave priority to my returning customers. But if I got a request for a bid, before I even went to the trouble of trying to work up a bid, I told them when I would be able to get to it. And if something came up that changed my schedule after I had made a commitment, I called the customer to let them know. If I couldn't do or wasn't interested in what they wanted done, I told them right up front I wouldn't be able to help them but I generally tried to give them a name of someone who might be able to help. It wasn't hard and didn't take a lot of time but my business had a reputation for doing what I said we would/could do.

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/19 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a contractor, I don't intentionally ignore any current or potential customer. Folks can rant and rave because they "didn't get a call back" or the contractor didn't show up on the exact time and/or day they promised, but that has come to mean very little to me. Truth be told, we're so busy that I don't often answer calls from numbers I don't recognize. Leave me a message, I'll check it and determine the level of urgency. Maybe I don't call back because I respect your time to and don't want to call you at 9 or 10 PM, which may be the soonest opportunity I have.

As demonstration of this, most days my "recent calls" on just my cell phone is so full that it doesn't even show the calls received earlier in the morning.

Always keep in mind that the customer has a role to play too. If I truly want something, I'm going to be persistent. Remember, you're calling me to request my services...I'm not calling you to request work.

Sorry if that all sounds a little arrogant, but good contractors are BUSY right now. We have to manage our time and resources accordingly. I like to be able to shut down work at the end of the day and go home to my family. I like having a life outside of work.

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> mild rant, contractors and repair folks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS