Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: mild rant, contractors and repair folks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> mild rant, contractors and repair folks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, reading through these posts, there are several here that I would certainly not want to hire. If you can't even be bothered to talk to me, what makes me believe that it would be any different during the job if I did hire you?

Here's my take: I worked out of my house doing civil engineering for a number of years. Some good years, some lean years. But I never ignored a potential customer; I always gave them the courtesy of taking their call/listening to them. If they called, I answered, even if I had to tell them I was currently swamped and couldn't do their job, but "keep me in mind for any future work". The result was that when the economy turned sour, I still had customers.

And back to the OP's actual complaint; If I said I'd be somewhere at a certain time...I WAS THERE AT THAT TIME. PERIOD. My dad always said; early is on time, on-time is late, late is...don't even bother.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Contractor was no call no show... and this is a relative of a friend

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

If you can't even be bothered to talk to me, what makes me believe that it would be any different during the job if I did hire you?

While I hear what you are saying, it is flawed logic. While nobody is bothering me or others who are busy by calling to inquire about doing business, what sense does it make wasting YOUR time and MY time if we cannot even do the job? I'm not going to spend hours for something I cannot do. That way I CAN spend more time on the paying clients job. A job in motion gets the attention.

One of the first questions I ask when someone contacts me is when they are hoping to do the project and if it doesn't match up with my schedule I'll ask if they can push it out further to where it does work for me. If not there is no reason to go any further. I will however try my best to point them in the right direction or refer them to someone I would trust to do them a good job. Even though I won't be doing their project I have their interest at heart.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/19 04:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

Here's my take: I worked out of my house doing civil engineering for a number of years. Some good years, some lean years. But I never ignored a potential customer; I always gave them the courtesy of taking their call/listening to them. If they called, I answered, even if I had to tell them I was currently swamped and couldn't do their job, but "keep me in mind for any future work". The result was that when the economy turned sour, I still had customers.

It's not apples to apples, even with other sectors of the same industry. There was a time when I also worked out of my house doing a similar job. During that time, I recevied few calls and requests through the day. It was easy to give every caller all the attention I could. Fast forward to a different time when the nature of business changes and the calls coming in are more than an office of secretaries could reasonably manage. You have to give your attention to current customers needs and worry about potential customers some other time.

Turning down work or just simple ignoring potential customers is something that makes me cringe. But I have to do it in order to effectively run my business. I work in a very particular market, but because my company name has the word "construction" in it, I get calls from people looking for work in all markets. Come build a deck, need pricing on a roof, looking for someone to remodel a gas station or pave a parking lot. Sorry folks, leave a message and maybe I'll call you back.

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

p220sigman wrote:

Supply and demand in play. Locally, we had some impact from a little storm named Michael, so plenty of roof work to go around. To the west of us, A LOT of roof work to go around. Talking with a roofing contractor friend, he has had an entire crew hired away from him over lunch. He went to lunch, crew was working on the roof. He came back, no crew. He called his crew foreman and found out that another roofing contractor from the area west of here, stopped by and made the crew an offer they felt they couldn't refuse to quit and go to work for him. Just like that, he is behind.

But I agree that it is very frustrating to have someone say they will show up and then just not show. Typically, they one get one chance after that. Fortunately, we are still small enough around here, that word of mouth still helps/hurts in many cases.

Back in my teens I worked at a factory 40 hrs a week. The father of one of my friends had crews building houses. That friend, another guy and I would roof a house on the weekend, paid by square. Monday morning the Dad would inspect, and pay in cash. My split of the money for 2 long days was real close to my "take home" for a week at the factory. I later found out I was scab.
Back in the days of strong unions doing the same job paid the same.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

That sword plays both ways, just because you're super busy, don't waste my time by quoting 3x the cost of the job because you're busy, or you think I can pay that much.

That's not wasting your time and has nothing to do with how much he thinks you can pay.

He's already booked up. He may have to pay overtime or contact another customer and push out the date on that work...If you are willing (of your own free will) to pay 3X as much, it may be worth the hassle for him. If you are expecting absolute low bid 2% profit margins, it's probably not. He gave you an option.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Op here.
Having been in business a long time, trust me, I get it about cheap customers, being to busy for new ones, all that stuff.

But what I don't get is this. I believe there are two parts to a new job. What you make on the initial job. And the backend which is future work from the same customer and referrals form them. The back end is often of way more value.

As a example, recently hired a house painter, did not beat him up on the bid. Paid 1/2 of front etc. So I think we were a good customer.

He said he would complete the job in two weeks, it took him over two months, and that with numerous where are you calls from me.

Do I think he is a bad guy? not at all, on the contrary I think he is probably a good guy, good family man and so on. And I have no complaints about the quality of his work. But I think he is a not so great business man. He blew us out on any future work and referrals.

Way to much stress for us on getting him to show up

So when times slow down if all he gets is front end work, he will be in for a bit of a slog

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call backs to new folks - sometimes good, bad or odd ...

Once got a call from a woman who needed and exterior door repaired. Had a good crew and we were building a new home ... SO, I picked a day later in the week, and left the crew working, went over and looked, told her $150. But then got into a lot of wood rot on the framing, and ended up repairing it, plus a new door - she bought the door - and spent all day, and part of next day. Not a good paycheck, in fact.

Two years later, her San Francisco attorney daughter calls, and we built a 3000 sqft ski cabin up in Bear Valley Ca for her ... paybacks are great !! Sometimes

I always tried to at least respond to all calls, and do it if I could manage it. Got lots of referrals later on ... never can tell what a call will bring now, or later [emoticon]

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/19 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was a hvac service contractor and did do new construction but my main focus was service. During the extreme heat or cold when I got a call it was because potential customer was out of service. You return the call no matter how busy you were.
I had some people call when it's 100+ and demand I come right now even tho they had never contacted my company before, sorry but you must get in line. I also had folks that if they called for service a 2nd time even if I hadn't had a call in a week, my 1st opening was latter part of next week [emoticon]. I valued my customers and tried my best to meet their expectations but some no matter you just can't make happy. When I sold & retired I had customers that are grandkids of my earliest customers, that's from doing the job.

allen8106

Burrton. KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 2001 we had a large addition put on our old farm house. In 2017 we had some major storm damage to the inside and outside of the house. Contractor that did the addition told me "we don't do insurance claims, we are only doing new construction or new additions".

They lost my business and referral forever.

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> mild rant, contractors and repair folks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS