Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: mild rant, contractors and repair folks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > mild rant, contractors and repair folks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
4x4van

California

Senior Member

Joined: 02/19/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/25/19 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WTP-GC wrote:


You're cherry-picking a statement to create an incorrect narrative. If I do electrical work and you call me and leave a message saying you want to have a deck built, there's no rule, law or moral obligation I have to return your call.
Never have I suggested such.
WTP-GC wrote:

My business is actually better suited if I focus on calls related to electrical work. Once I call all those potential customers back, if I have time and I remember, then maybe I'll call you back to decline the work. Perhaps you're better than most and you don't call people for jobs outside their trade, but (as already mentioned in this thread) walk a mile in our boots and see how many calls you get that are absolutely of no interest.
I have indeed "walked a mile". Most people do not call businesses for work that is outside that business's trade, as you claim, and I have never stated that you should return calls from those that do.
WTP-GC wrote:

No, I don't advertise, and yes, I work in a very specific field. But thanks to contractor listing aggregating services, I frequently get calls from people who want something done that I don't do. Imagine getting this call:
"Hello, ABC Electric"
-Yes, I need a new roof
"Sir I don't do that type of work"
-What do you do then?
"I do electrical work"
-For remodels? Or new houses?
"Doesn't matter, I don't do roofs"
-Do you know someone that does?
"No"
-Who should I call then"
"I don't know"
-But you're a contractor, don't you know someone
"No"
-Well what happened is a tree fell on my roof and I told the neighbor that they needed to get that tree taken down but they didn't listen...
"Click"
-Well that was rude, guess I'll never call him again...
Nothing in my post came anywhere near resembling this fictional exchange, nor have I ever claimed that an electrician should entertain calls about roofing; idiots should never be entertained. Your "example" is so far out of the ordinary as to border on the inane. You and I both know that the majority of calls that ANY business gets ARE legitimate and do not sound like your example.
WTP-GC wrote:

And listen, if you tell someone you'll be there or that you'll do something, then honor your word. I never disagreed that that notion.
And yet that is exactly the part of my post that you quoted in order to call me entitled. So if anyone is "cherry picking" to create a false narrative, it's you.

My "legitimate" inquiry to a business IS relevant, and my time IS just as important as yours, and your accusation that I'm "entitled" because I feel that way is not only out of line, but quite insulting as well. You are trying to throw oranges at a discussion about apples. It may be entertaining, but bears little resemblance to real life. You might consider going back and re-reading the original post; it has very little to do with what you are currently whining about.

* This post was last edited 06/26/19 04:54pm by 4x4van *   View edit history


We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

solismaris

Massachusetts

Senior Member

Joined: 02/14/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/27/19 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If a contractor does not return my call, for any reason, he is off my list. Permanently. I'll never deal with him again.

Returning a call is part of doing business. Even if it's not a customer - yet. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be in business. Period.


David Kojen

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 02/13/2004

View Profile



Posted: 06/27/19 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

solismaris wrote:

If a contractor does not return my call, for any reason, he is off my list. Permanently. I'll never deal with him again.

Returning a call is part of doing business. Even if it's not a customer - yet. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be in business. Period.


You may have a hard time finding someone then. I promise you even the most responsive business owner whether intentional or not has not returned calls at one point or another.

Dan


2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > mild rant, contractors and repair folks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS