cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virginia I -81 corrider gas tax.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if this was reported before, but I am sick and tired of politicians who are always looking to tax us more. How about looking at ways to reduce costs? We use I-81 for many of our trips into Virginia and beyond. This is outrageous. https://wcyb.com/news/local/gas-prices-going-up-along-i-81-in-va-starting-july-1
33 REPLIES 33

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
I agree about tolls. But why not make the tax state wide instead of just I-81? I-95 and I-64 have a lot of traffic too.

Because the politicians live in the east. The less populated western part of VA is what they think of as 'flyover country' + they hope to mainly gain revenue from out of staters on I81. What they will get is western VA small business revenue loss (and subsequent closings) in that corridor as people intentionally begin to fill up outside the state and don't stop as much off of I81.

And if you think a good portion of any additional tax isn't going into some politician's pocket, there's always some famous properties in the real estate market you can invest in.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
I agree about tolls. But why not make the tax state wide instead of just I-81? I-95 and I-64 have a lot of traffic too.

The idea is that the additional tax money is for improvements related to I-81 and I-81 access roads. What projects qualify though, is something of a grey area.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
mgirardo wrote:
Me personally, I'd much rather pay 7 cents more per gallon than have to deal with another toll.

According to Wikipedia, I-81 through VA is only 325 miles long. Unless a vehicle gets really bad gas mileage or has a really small tank, it should make it through VA without having to fill up. That being said, I am pretty sure, even with the additional 7 cents tax, that MD and NC will still have higher gas prices than the gas stations along I-81 in VA.

-Michael
I agree about tolls. But why not make the tax state wide instead of just I-81? I-95 and I-64 have a lot of traffic too.Do you think it could be because the state and federal capitols are near those roads?

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
Me personally, I'd much rather pay 7 cents more per gallon than have to deal with another toll.

According to Wikipedia, I-81 through VA is only 325 miles long. Unless a vehicle gets really bad gas mileage or has a really small tank, it should make it through VA without having to fill up. That being said, I am pretty sure, even with the additional 7 cents tax, that MD and NC will still have higher gas prices than the gas stations along I-81 in VA.

-Michael

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
I chuckle at the sheep in this thread that think the process that got us into this mess is the same process that will get us out of this mess. The process is CONTROLLED by those nailing us to the wall. Only the names change- party + candidate.
And no, I don't have an answer. But I think our grandchildren will live in a worse place than we live in now.

And sorry to the OP for diverting off the politician enrichment act that started this thread.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Woodtroll wrote:
This cracks me up. Someone from PA, who travels I-81 in Virginia frequently, is "outraged" by our fuel prices? I'm pretty outraged by the condition of PA's roads when I try to drive up there, and their fuel prices are higher. Perhaps you'd rather pay a toll to travel 81, like I-77 through West Virginia?

I always was apprehensive on the PA turnpike years back when the only thing between you and vehicles coming at you 7 ft away at 70 mph was some chicken wire.
bumpy

Woodtroll
Explorer
Explorer
This cracks me up. Someone from PA, who travels I-81 in Virginia frequently, is "outraged" by our fuel prices? I'm pretty outraged by the condition of PA's roads when I try to drive up there, and their fuel prices are higher. Perhaps you'd rather pay a toll to travel 81, like I-77 through West Virginia?
2003 F250XL 4WD 7.3L Crewcab LB, 6 speed; Prodigy brake controller; Big Tex grille guard/ deer deflector. Canoe hauler and camping truck extraordinaire!
2003 Layton 242 Scout- Extra batteries, solar panels, LED lighting, and propane for boondocking.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
ACZL wrote:

Talk amongst truckers who travel thru states that want to raise fuel prices substantially is to simply not buy any fuel or products/services in those states if you don't have to. In a way, a "Boy cot" if you will.

This might be the CB talk, and there are a couple of towns locally that I will not spend a dime in because of the way they treat me as a trucker.
But with regard to fuel tax; Every quarter the company has to file a statement reporting how many miles the trucks ran in that state, and how many gallons of fuel taxes where paid on to that state Not enough fuel bought, tax paid? Send a check.

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
It is a simple matter of economics. If states offer more "services", the money for these services has to come from somewhere. As has been stated, the government at any level only has money they take from the people (be it residents, businesses, tourists, etc). With the push in certain areas to increase the available "services", governments are feeling the money crunch and looking for more revenue. This is why there will be a use tax for road usage as EV use rises. If the other taxes such as the fuel taxes were removed, I'd be ok with a road use tax. Drive more-pay more. The problem is that if done in typical fashion, taxes don't disappear. The government just adds new ones.

It is like local property taxes. Local taxing authority was bragging about how hard they worked to keep the millage rate the same for the coming year and all the sheep were happy. Problem is, home values have increased, so taxes are still going up. Sure, your house is worth more, but you have to sale to realize that gain and then the house you want to buy is going to cost more. Net effect, we pay more into the government coffers...

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Well for once I am going to bash California, I have led the anti-bashing of CA for several years here on RV.Net but this is ridicules. Some years ago the voters in CA elected Gerry Brown as governor. At that time our highways were a model many states aspired to, today nobody has anything good to say about them.

It was apparent to most of us that when Brown's Director of CalTrans decided to eliminate the entire budget for maintenance and construction of state highways and interstates that we would someday come to rue the action of the Giant Turkey as the director became known.

Fast forward a couple of decades and the public elected Gerry Brown two more times and to counter his actions of the seventies he instituted a long term incremental tax increase on gasoline. The first increment in 2017 was $0.12 per gallon, the second increment this year will be $0.05.6 per gallon and in two more years a third hike will occur, not to mention the COLA increases on all California fuel taxes. On July first when the second increment takes effect, California will have the Highest fuel taxes in the nation and overall tax rate may rise from forth highest to third highest in the nation.

Not withstanding the old adage of "Recent studies haven proven that recent studies are useless". A resent study shows that based on an estimate of $130 Billion needed to bring CA's roads and bridges into good repair, the tax revenue will fall short by $65 Billion.

All of this was by votes of the people, did the voters ever revolt?, yes, we forced out the Governor who doubles our registration fees by a recall election and a fiscal moderate was elected and he turned liberal in all other areas of taxation but stopped a doubling of registration fees.

Now the fees have returned, taxes have risen and the electorate seems happy.

Where am I going with this information, Arizona if I could but because I can't move, I'll be going to fewer places in my RV.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Reading all the posts thus far on raising fuel taxes and such in other states who say it's "for this and that", well we all know that's not going to happen cuz some little out of the way area will need a bike path or new hiking trail or play ground all paid for by fuel tax increases. Sounds just like the blow-hole gov in NY. Talks about new this, new that, but somehow, the word "cut" refuses to exit his lips.

At one time PA used to be cheaper to get fuel in than NY. Based on the 1 reply, PA is 40 cents more than NY, at least where I get diesel at as the local Pilot is usually about 30-40 cents more. Currently paying $3.04 for diesel. Can make it from Winchester to Syracuse w/o filling up, but she's getting low in order to bypass getting fuel in PA.

Talk amongst truckers who travel thru states that want to raise fuel prices substantially is to simply not buy any fuel or products/services in those states if you don't have to. In a way, a "Boy cot" if you will.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
CFerguson wrote:
I agree that we should all vote. But wouldn't it be nice if there was actually a CHOICE between Tweedledum and Tweedledumber?

Both parties are Tax + Spend. Only difference is who they try to shift the taxes onto. I do fear for today's young'uns.

About the only things that will thrive with no help from people are weeds and roaches.
Well, the first step is tell Tweedledum what you expect them to do for you. Look at who is renting him, let him decide what is more important, their money or your vote. Next, keep track of what he does to/for you. In a couple of years, he has not made you happy, get involved in the primary process, find somebody less dumb. (stores full potted plants, LOL)

jdb7566 wrote:
Gas taxes are a never ending folly. EVERYBODY benefits from the road and highway system, but the burden to pay for them fall on those who actually drive on them.
Since the Arab oil embargo of the 70's, our Government has increased CAFE standards on a continual basis. Using less gasoline is good for the environment, less gasoline sales=less tax collected=less road maintenance, and the cycle continues. Many locales are discussing a tax on mileage driven. There again, the burden of road repair will fall on only those who drive on them. I guess that's the price you pay to be part of a mobile society.

The people that use roads most pays most, but everybody pays fuel taxes. Every time raw material move down the road, fuel tax is paid and added to the cost. Every time a partly finished product moves, fuel tax is paid and added to the cost. Move factory to distribution center,fuel tax is paid and added to the cost. To the store, fuel tax is paid and added to the cost. Just like higher fuel prices for any other reason, you pay for it every time the cash register rings. The only difference is if the increase comes from a increase in taxes, the people get a choice about how it is spent.
IMHO, the main mistake made was at the time of embargo the tax, in cent per gallon should of been converted to % of $ like sales tax on everything else is. For every mile driven, I'm burning less fuel, but paying more money. And a much smaller percentage is going for highways. If the tax was a percentage of cost, then it would of kept up with inflation. The increase in fuel cost might have forced more people to buy more efficient.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Lotta Pollyannas in this thread.

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
Gas taxes are a never ending folly. EVERYBODY benefits from the road and highway system, but the burden to pay for them fall on those who actually drive on them.
Since the Arab oil embargo of the 70's, our Government has increased CAFE standards on a continual basis. Using less gasoline is good for the environment, less gasoline sales=less tax collected=less road maintenance, and the cycle continues. Many locales are discussing a tax on mileage driven. There again, the burden of road repair will fall on only those who drive on them. I guess that's the price you pay to be part of a mobile society.