cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keystone Outback tire wear

Lon-Str
Explorer
Explorer
My brother and his wife purchased a Keystone Outback 29.9 in sept. last year, from Holiday World in Willis TX. After eight months of ownership he discovered that the driver side rear tire had completely worn the inside half down to blowout stage.

Warranty was denied by Keystone, saying that it was not covered under warranty. Holiday world says " sorry " Has anyone had similar issues with an eight month old trailer and had any positive resolution. If so how did you do it ? For sure won't be any more Keystone products or Holiday World in our family's future.
8 REPLIES 8

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
we had a keystone outback that did the exact same thing. it was a alingment issue. shackles that hold the axle in place slipped causing a miss alingment.

Lon-Str
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
we have a 2011 outback 295RE with close to 30K miles on it. never have had any unusual tire wear. With one tire bad, sounds like a bent spindle or loose bearing rather than a bent axle or overloaded axle which would wear pairs or all the tires.

By any chance was the trailer ever lifted by the axle? thats the easiest way to bend an axle.
It has never been lifted since purchased by owner and some of the eight months since the purchase was spent at the dealership for unrelated warranty work.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the world of Keystone's 'we don't cover that.' As mentioned on here; a good spring/axle shop can fix you up.
You might check the capacity of the springs---Keystone plays the numbers pretty weak and the axle could be rated for less. Not saying this might be the case, but "curbing the tires" could lead to bent axles also.

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a Keystone Outback 28rls and when we bought it used it had brand new tires on it. I thought WOW this is great, shouldn't need tires for several years. One year later they had both tires on the drivers side wore out on the insides. After a few measurements I realized why it had new tires on it. Both axles were bent. I replaced both axles with heavier ones and had no more problems after that. I think the original axles were so borderline that a pot hole or curb hit would easily bend them.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
A good big truck trailer suspension shop can get it aligned for way less than what some RV dealer will charge to replace the axle. Won't have a 2 month wait either.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
we have a 2011 outback 295RE with close to 30K miles on it. never have had any unusual tire wear. With one tire bad, sounds like a bent spindle or loose bearing rather than a bent axle or overloaded axle which would wear pairs or all the tires.

By any chance was the trailer ever lifted by the axle? thats the easiest way to bend an axle.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Ask them again to repair. If no, have it repaired by someone else. Sue the manufacturer, dealer etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably a bent spindle or even a loose bearing.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73