cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Amazon Prime and Alexa

bayoubelle
Explorer
Explorer
I have a very strange situation. I recently purchased an Echo Dot and was playing around with sending a message to my husband. Well my son called and said he heard my message 100 miles away.

I realize this is probably due to having an Amazon Prime Household account, I see all of his devices in my Alexa App. Which I did not connect, but they were there when I signed in.

My question is, is there any way to disconnect all these devices? I am willing to remove myself from his household account, but then I can't get another for 6 months, which seems absurd. If I open an account in my husbands name all my info is lost for past purchases.

If anyone can figure out a fix for this, I would appreciate it.
Former 5ver owner
Upgrading to a Class C
29 REPLIES 29

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Wow, so many haters............

Makes you wonder what these people talk about that they worry so much about someone listening to them. You could bug my house and never hear us talk about where we buried the bodies. Even if I had one with a camera, I wouldn't care. I'd put one in the bathroom. If someone wanted to watch me taking a shower, they're stupid. I'm over 50, I don't workout and am on the "fat" side in "places". Now I don't think I'm ugly or anything but I ain't going to make a living showering on the internet.

:B

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Wow, so many haters............

Makes you wonder what these people talk about that they worry so much about someone listening to them. You could bug my house and never hear us talk about where we buried the bodies. Even if I had one with a camera, I wouldn't care. I'd put one in the bathroom. If someone wanted to watch me taking a shower, they're stupid. I'm over 50, I don't workout and am on the "fat" side in "places". Now I don't think I'm ugly or anything but I ain't going to make a living showering on the internet.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
Turn off the "Drop In" permission.

This is it.

We "Drop In" on our son's family and we never hear anything till one of them answers us. They after their initial "acceptance", then we hear everyone in the room.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:
... You just have to be smarter than the device and take the time to research it out. Most do not make it easy, but those settings are there.

Can't improve on these words.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
I have Alexa set to remind me to take my meds in the evening @ 8:00. Canโ€™t tell you how many times sheโ€™s saved me.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I think folks are answering 2 different questions. Prime is a good thing for many people. I have been a member before and see it could be good for many people, although many times better prices and free shipping can be found elsewhere.

Now, Alexa I have no use for, at least for me. You can have one and not the other unless things have changed recently.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
Personal choice, but my time is worth something, isn't yours? Driving to the store that "might" have what I need, waiting in line, etc. And if they don't have what I need I have to drive somewhere else. Dealing with traffic and stupid people. Then there is the cost of gas and wear and tear on my vehicles. I save far more than the cost of the annual Prime membership and it's generally a hassle free experience.

Ditto.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Dot and a FireTV device. I have Prime as well (really important as a full timer as you don't know how long you will be at your current location). Am I at all concerned that Amazon is tracking me for illicit purposes? Not at all! Seriously, what is Amazon going to learn about me that's going to have a negative effect on my life. If you don't like folks tracking your business then you need to get rid of your CC's, drop all shopping cards, stop using the internet on every device and likely some stuff I have forgotten. Oh yeah, don't go out in public either as your every movement is being recorded on cameras on nearly every corner. If you don't believe that, where do you think the news gets all of that video footage?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:

I don't even have Amazon Prime. Cannot see paying a fee for expedited shipping. If I want / need something now, I go to a brick and mortar store and buy it.

People need to start being more patient and waiting for a product to arrive. Not one of those need it now people, I plan ahead.

Personal choice, but my time is worth something, isn't yours? Driving to the store that "might" have what I need, waiting in line, etc. And if they don't have what I need I have to drive somewhere else. Dealing with traffic and stupid people. Then there is the cost of gas and wear and tear on my vehicles. I save far more than the cost of the annual Prime membership and it's generally a hassle free experience.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
skyhammer wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Wow, so many haters. There are just too many folks afraid of a technology they don't understand.
I believe you can disconnect the accounts as mentioned above. You can also deregister the device from your account (or your husband"s or son's). You can also separate your accounts as being shared Prime accounts but each of you would have to pay the annual Prime fee instead of you both being on the same account.

Not at all afraid of technology but concerned about people listening that shouldn't be.

I don't even have Amazon Prime. Cannot see paying a fee for expedited shipping. If I want / need something now, I go to a brick and mortar store and buy it.

People need to start being more patient and waiting for a product to arrive. Not one of those need it now people, I plan ahead.

Amazon Prime is not just about faster shipping. Prime more than pays for itself with free shipping alone.It doesn't take long to get your money back from shipping costs alone. Add in all the other prime features such as steaming TV, books, music etc., Prime is a bargain.
Of course if you like to pay more to get less, Prime is not for you.

Absolutely agree, if it was just about shipping, someone might have a argument but "Prime" is so much more although I do Love the shipping too. I hate to admit it, but its great sitting here in my chair and ordering some obscure item I don't really need and getting it the next day. With that being said, most times Amazon is very competitive price wise, I still do my due diligence with price checking and just for one example, the "Marcell" temp device for monitoring temp's inside an RV(a dog persons device) manufacturer was a good 30 bucks less than Amazon.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

skyhammer
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Wow, so many haters. There are just too many folks afraid of a technology they don't understand.
I believe you can disconnect the accounts as mentioned above. You can also deregister the device from your account (or your husband"s or son's). You can also separate your accounts as being shared Prime accounts but each of you would have to pay the annual Prime fee instead of you both being on the same account.

Not at all afraid of technology but concerned about people listening that shouldn't be.

Amazon Prime is not just about faster shipping. Prime more than pays for itself with free shipping alone.It doesn't take long to get your money back from shipping costs alone. Add in all the other prime features such as steaming TV, books, music etc., Prime is a bargain.
Of course if you like to pay more to get less, Prime is not for you.
2011 Host Everest, 11.5',triple slide.
2011 F-350,DRW,CC,LWB,4X4,6.7

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Alexa?

Alexa?

ALEXA!

"Defend your existential being!"

"I've gained 10 pounds because I can play dead in my recliner for hours on end."

Here's a do-it-yourself project where a guy has taken a small refrigerator and equipped it for automatic beer tossing. Constructed for "several hundred dollars," John Cornwell's Beer-Launching Fridge consists of three limit switches, a 10-beer-holding magazine that looks like it came out of a soft drink machine along with a few other assorted parts, and it's all controlled by a keyless entry system.

The result? It'll toss a beer to you 13 feet away, and it's perfectly accurate every time. Even though that beer might have developed quite a head on it by the time it reaches your hands, it's still one clever piece of machinery. Bravo.

What? It even sends an emergency signal to your cardiologist if you don't move for three days?

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Sheesh tinfoil hat club this morning.

I did not know the Echo Dot had a camera, where is it located?

Reynolds Wrap is best, it's quilted.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB