Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Good Sam roadside failed us again!!!!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Roadside Assistance

> Good Sam roadside failed us again!!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
rjchristensen

oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/19 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This time very scary!!!!
This is my 2nd post to let people know that of the 2 times I needed assistance for help from Good Sam they were both disastrous !!!!Back Issues that is why I have Good Sam!!!!!!!!

Please read my other post!!!!!

This fist time of no service was followed up last summer by Good Sam customer service rep. Darrin White from Colorado reaching out to me.
He went on to tell me that the incident last summer, by no one showing up to help us, was not Good Sam and Good Sam failed you very badly.

Darrin was to refund our $20 for a AAA provider spare tire change and refund our membership for 2018 membership.
That was done.
Darrin also wanted to give us a membership for free.
I told him I was so disappointed of our first time needing their roadside service that I would have to think about it as this trip was our last road trip for the summer of 2018.

Back Issues!!! That is why I have Good Sam!!!!!!

Well this spring we decided to give Good Sam another chance. I called Darrin and he set us up for 1 year free membership.

Memorial Day weekend was our first outing from home in Central Oregon with our 2002 GMC 3500 Dual Rear wheel, crew cap pickup with a large 11.6' Eagle Cap truck camper.
We were to meet my daughters and son-in-law at the Tillamook forest for camping and our oldest's 29th birthday.

On Monday Memorial day morning we started our 200 mile trip home to Central Oregon.

When we were traveling thru metro Portland on Hwy 26 east bound, 3 lanes of traffic... holiday heavy traffic.... we experienced a violent rear inner passenger side blow out. I made it safely to the break down lane.

At aprox 11:30am I contacted Good Sam Dispatch for help to change the blown tire.
At aprox 1:30pm a tow truck ,Castores Towing Company from Beaverton Oregon arrived and the driver spoke no English and I showed him the blown tire.

The driver tried to jack the rear right up with a 3 ton jack and I tried to tell him that that jack was not a strong enough jack, but he did not understand me, He tried it and it would not lift the heavy truck with the camper on the truck.
He then went back to get a 20 ton bottle jack and that lifted the rear to get the tire changed.

He went back to the tow truck to come back with a "star" wrench and no socket or impact wrench/driver. He struggled a bit but got the outer wheel lugs off.

He then tried to get the inner wheel spacer lugs off (different size)and saw the star wrench would not fit so he went to the tow truck and returned with another star wrench. He proceeded to strip the lug nuts (I learned this the next Wednesday at Discount tire of Bend Oregon) and when I asked him if that was the correct size he just nodded as he could not speak English. He had no torque wrench to torque the lugs to 140 lbs.
He changed the blown tire and had me fill out all the information on the repair slip.

While at Discount Tire in Bend Oregon to replace the blown tire later that week, the technician had me come out to to bay to show me the inner lugs were only hand tight and stripped.... yes hand tight..(I will supply you a photo of the stripped lugs if need be), as Discount replaced the stripped lugs.
If we had driven much further we would have lost BOTH right rear wheels!!!!!

I then, while at Discount Tire, tried to call Darrin to let him know that this service provider was not vetted for the proper tools to do this roadside repair SAFELY!!!!!

Darin had some other person call me and we spoke days later. He wanted to pay for the lugs. I in substance told him ,I did not care to be reimbursed for the lug nuts, but to STOP CASTORES TOWING COMPANY FROM GOING OUT ON SERVICE CALLS AS THEY MIGHT POSSIBLE HURT SOMEONE OR KILL SOMEONE!!!!

WARNING!!!!! warning!!!!
To ALL that travel through the Portland/Beaverton Oregon area please refuse service from Castores Towing Company and ask Good SAM dispatch for another roadside service provider.
I called Castores Towing Company and asked for the owner to call me. No call back ever!!!!!

Any questions send me a personal Message

AAA of Oregon will get our business from here on out!!!!
I will tell all the people we come across in our travels of this scary story if they are traveling through Portland/Beaverton Oregon. It might save a life!!!!!

* This post was last edited 06/23/19 09:03pm by rjchristensen *   View edit history

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/19 10:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you change your own tires? I carry an 8 ton bottle jack and an electric hammer wrench to take off the lug nuts. Had to change an inner dually blowout three years ago. Glad I was equipped to fix things.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 04:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

so GS sent you a repair man, they have no idea the repairman doesn,t know his job. me I.d never buy anything from GS , but this time I don,t see them being the problem. you got a bad service shop .

newman fulltimer

louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 04:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So how did good Sams fail you?[emoticon]

Do you honestly think they do quality control of all the roadside assistance companies they contract?

Now what you SHOULD have done was when you saw how the tow company was you SHOULD have refused their service and called good Sams back requested a different service

* This post was edited 06/19/19 08:38am by newman fulltimer *

Good Sam Care Team

Everywhere

Administrator

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 06:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello rjchristensen,

Thank you for providing your feedback and letting us know about this issue. We set a high standard for ourselves and are sorry to hear that standard was not met in your interaction with us. Please send a private message with your Good Sam Roadside Assistance membership number and your phone number. We will look into this matter further.

Thank you,
Ella
Good Sam Care Team

Oklahoma Dan

Owasso

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/19 06:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The real problem is your opening statement of "Good Sam has. failed us again". Again? There should not have been an "again". Sometimes we have to look at ourselves regarding the circumstances we get ourselves into. Now another issue is being prepared. Repair guy shows up and does not have the proper tools. Why don't you carry the jack, breaker bar, and assorted sockets in your storage compartment in case of an emergency? Murphy's Law would lead anyone to believe any tire can blow on the highway. And finally, if the RV and equipment you are operating is beyond the capacity of your being able to handle the emergency yourself when nobody is around then downsize to something that you can handle. There will be places that even AAA can't get to so then what are you going to do? I don't see why you went back to GS a second time anyway.

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps the solution for GoodSam is to start sending Ella out on the service calls. I'd bet she is more competent at changing a tire than some of the clowns you read about on these boards that are under contract to GoodSam LOL.

rightlaneonly

CA..

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/19 07:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the way everyone wants to let GS off the hook and blame the victim. GS has a responsibility to provide proper,safe service and is responsible to make sure their providers are up to the job. Granted, the op should have refused the service but we are, in my opinion, entitled to get what we paid for.

Lee & Jane
2007 Ford F 150
sold the trailer but still lurking around here, traveling vicariously.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 07:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember the old adage
"Fool me once, shame on you"
Fool me twice,,,,,

Oklahoma Dan

Owasso

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/19 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I know the frustration with getting good service from these companies but I have to tell you Ella is just doing her job. She responds pretty quick to the situations. Regardless, if we are going to continue to use our RV's this incompetence on the service is not going to improve anytime soon no matter how much we complain or who we go to. The operator who is unhappy with GS Road Service will switch to AAA. It's quite possible AAA if called will dispatch this very same company in Oregon to change that dually and guess who the service guy might be? We either must pick up the slack ourselves or just don't go anywhere anymore.

Now that guy who showed up to change a flat tire on a dually is probably out there right now doing the same thing (without the right tools). It is shown in the story that he seems to be capable physically to do the work. He just didn't have the right tools.

By picking up the slack I mean why not have a spare tire, breaker bar, sockets, etc. We aren't going to remedy this road service situation to be perfect always. But if folks be prepared and at least carry the right tire tools (better yet having a spare tire) you will be on your way pronto if the service guy who shows up is capable of using your tools.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Roadside Assistance

> Good Sam roadside failed us again!!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS