Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Good Sam roadside failed us again!!!!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Roadside Assistance

> Good Sam roadside failed us again!!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

Can you change your own tires? I carry an 8 ton bottle jack and an electric hammer wrench to take off the lug nuts. Had to change an inner dually blowout three years ago. Glad I was equipped to fix things.

Exactly. I carry the necessary tools for a tire change on the road, always. Done t before, will probably do it again. RV' ing is about being prepared not caught on the side of the road with your drawers down and at the mercy of someone else who may or may not be competent. In fact, I've never had roadside insurance and don't need it.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did my own work for years now I,m older than dirt can,t handle the job need some help ,so we don,t know if the op is a elder person or a young guy, but I have coach net used them three times and had great service.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/19 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

Can you change your own tires? I carry an 8 ton bottle jack and an electric hammer wrench to take off the lug nuts. Had to change an inner dually blowout three years ago. Glad I was equipped to fix things.

Exactly. I carry the necessary tools for a tire change on the road, always. Done t before, will probably do it again. RV' ing is about being prepared not caught on the side of the road with your drawers down and at the mercy of someone else who may or may not be competent. In fact, I've never had roadside insurance and don't need it.

This has got me thinking, might just add my air impact wrench to the truck bed tool box! Have a constant use Viair 150 psi compressor and a 2.5 gallon tank installed on the Ram. Even if I needed to fully recharge the tank for each lug it would only take about 16 minutes of tine for all eight lugs.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Oklahoma Dan

Owasso

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/19 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Midnightsadie in a similar situation, if Coach Net on any of those three occasions had dispatched a roadside service guy who did not have the right jack and tools to change your dually I venture to guess that you carry a breaker bar, spare tire, torque wrench, jack and appropriate sockets to allow the service guy to do the repair and get you on your way. And you would not cast your fate to the wind because anyone older than dirt knows Murphy's Law.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 06:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL yep. I even hand them the right tool.

rdhetrick

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/19 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To those that advocate carrying their own tools in case the service guy doesn't have them....do you carry everything you need to repair your transmission if that fails? How about changing a drive shaft? How about a radiator? Do you carry a welding machine and torch in case you might need them?

I don't want to carry a garage with me just in case something happens, that's why I have roadside assistance. There is always the risk the person showing up to help is unprepared, if he is, I'll wait for the next one.

I've got more important things to bring along like golf clubs.

2005/06 Mandalay 40E (Full Time)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Toad)

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rdhetrick wrote:

To those that advocate carrying their own tools in case the service guy doesn't have them....do you carry everything you need to repair your transmission if that fails? How about changing a drive shaft? How about a radiator? Do you carry a welding machine and torch in case you might need them?

I don't want to carry a garage with me just in case something happens, that's why I have roadside assistance. There is always the risk the person showing up to help is unprepared, if he is, I'll wait for the next one.

That will work, if you break down near a golf course. [emoticon]
I'd rather haul some basic tools for the vehicle specific fails that can really slow you down, rather than wait for someone to show up and not be able to help you. I don't expect them to rebuild the motor if it drops a valve, but if they're just one tool or part shy of a successful repair, why not cover your own bases? Better to two putt for par, than take a bogey.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) N24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

road glide

Angels Camp, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/19 10:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did anyone else read the OP has had two tire failures on a 2002 vehicle? 16 years old, how old are the tires?
The second failure, you would think the tire shop would have looked at tire conditions all the way around and manufacture dates?
Seems odd...[emoticon]

2003 Safari Sahara 350HP Cummins ISC Allison 6 speed
Model 3753 - Triple Slide
2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 toad

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 10:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know we are all of different age and abilities but I will never let anyone change my tires except me. I carry the proper sockets, breaker bar, jack and will never strip or cross thread a lug nut as I know how much is involved in changing them will a full floating rear end. If a tow truck or highway service truck showed up while I was on the side of the road they may either stay there as protection barricade or leave.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 10:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rdhetrick wrote:

Repair a Transmission? No but Yes to changing a U-Joint or radiator. Both take one or two sockets, wrenches and a screw driver.

Our last trip required a oil pressure sender to be changed and the fan belt after it got sprayed in oil. Both done in the Napa parking lot with basic hand tools. No tow truck required, in and out in 15 minutes.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Roadside Assistance

> Good Sam roadside failed us again!!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS