Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Hot water heater drain
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Hot water heater drain

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

ktmrfs wrote:

I'd just by a 3/4" NPT tap and give it a run, just don't over do it. that should clean out the threads well.
This is the only way to do it right. I've tried all the others and none work very well. A tap is what you need to clean up the threads. Just don't overdo it.

Heck yeah. Got an elcheapo off ebay and keep around for that purpose. Why go thru all the round about home remedies?

BobSchaar

Westphalia, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again all. I bought a 3/4" round wire brush that I found in the plumbing section at the local Menard's. I will put something on the corroded threads to try to soften the calcium a bit. Let it sit over night and then try to brush it. If that doesn't work, I will have to buy a 3/4" tap.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd say I've used my tap and die set more often by far to clean up threads than to thread something. Well worth the cost and how quick it will solve a buggered up thread problem.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd say I've used my tap and die set more often by far to clean up threads than to thread something. Well worth the cost and how quick it will solve a buggered up thread problem.

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/19 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not use a standard pipe tap on the threads, turning that tap past the point where the corrosion inhibits fully inserting the tap will eventually remove metal as well as corrosion. If you ever see the thread cutters in both a tap and a die, you will notice that there is a little space left in the valley between the cut of the two. the sides of the threads are supposed to mate not the entire thread. That little valley is where the corrosion gathers and make fitting the two pieces together difficult.

A medium hard brass brush mounted in a rotary tool is about the best solution. A bore cleaning brush from your local gun shop is probably among the best you could buy. Even then care in use should be taken. In an Atwood water heater, extreme care must be take when using a rotary brush. A chemical solution is best in that case.

I have used the nipple with groves cut perpendicular to the threads on several occasions and when used in conjunction with a chemical agent is pretty good.

There are a lot of chemical cleaners available for dissolving the crud in the threads. They are caustic and not for human consumption but then, neither is penetrating oil. So no matter what you use, wire brush, Lime Away or similar chemical solution or god forbid penetrating oil, flushing with clean clear water.

Now if you are as old as I am, you may have heard of thread chasers. They are a tool with normally one row of what look like the cutters of a pipe die. We used them for cleaning pipe threads in steam powered torpedoes back in my Navy days.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/19 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Run a tap in till it just begins to cut metal, this ain't that difficult. Just be careful starting the tap, in the hands of an amateur it is easy to get it cross threaded.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Hot water heater drain
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.