cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Streetside Awning Project

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Ready for takeoff...

For years I've thought about having a streetside awning. I never saw an RV with a streetside awning. There appeared to be no such thing. But I can think of several advantages... 1) Occasionally the view is streetside and it'd be nice to have some shade to sit under. 2) Enhanced privacy. 3) Enhanced sun and heat protection (our fridge and food pantries are steetside). 4) Shade while servicing the streetside hubs and brakes.

Step one was to replace the existing streetside insert drip rail with an insert gutter/awning rail just like what's curbside. I bought three 8' sections to do the job. It does come in 16' sections, but shipping expenses were impractical. I also added an extra long rain spout at each end of the trailer.

I went with a 13' Carefree Pioneer Lite because it looked to be about the most simplistic and least expensive option. The installation instructions were "okay". The biggest surprise was the bottom brackets. They didn't look like what the instructions showed. The bolt pattern didn't look like it would work without backing blocks, which I knew my wall didn't have. So I ordered a pair of Dometic brackets exactly like those for my existing curbside awning.

This whole project was predicated on the assumption that I wouldn't need backing blocks if I screwed into the bottom edge of the wall where the wall is strengthened by the adjoining floor. You know what they say about assumptions. But the bottom brackets remain solid after many miles of bumpy roads.

What the instructions showed. What was included. What I used...

Pioneer Lite awning arm with a Dometic bottom bracket...

There's no streetside door so the awning can be kept low if desired....

More details on my RV webpage at...

http://www.jeff-z.com/rv/amods/amods.html
6 REPLIES 6

zed1k
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea, thanks for sharing
Shawn
2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 230BH LTZ
2004 Silverado 1500 CrewCab 5.3

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
I love it! Great job!

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great!
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Jeffzee160 wrote:
For years I've thought about having a streetside awning. I never saw an RV with a streetside awning. There appeared to be no such thing.

You just weren't looking hard enough, Fleetwood offered an optional street side awning on some of their 2003.5 models. ๐Ÿ˜„

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Whammon1
Explorer
Explorer
Genius! Great job!

rightlaneonly
Explorer
Explorer
I've been thinking lately that is a good idea. I may just havta give it a try now.
Thanks for sharing.
Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.