Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: A crappy experience
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> A crappy experience

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Timothy2001

Texas and NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, my first time emptying the tanks on this RV, new Rino hose, tight connection, it appeared to be a good seal but it leaked like crazy right into the water service area. What a mess.

I can’t tell if the new hose was faulty as the connection seemed tight.

The manual states that there is a swivel on the valve and pipe but I am not seeing anything like that and the angle of the hose is almost 90 degrees from the connection to the bottom of the compartment.

Very frustrated, would love to see a picture of a like RV dump valve area as I suspect I am missing a piece even though the connection “mates”.

Pardon the subject, just couldn’t help myself.

2008 Itasca Meridian 39z

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear of your problem and seeing as I use a Sewer Solution 99% of the time, I no longer have recent experience with the hoses you're using.

That said, when I DO dump the tanks with the stinky slinky, I always pull the gray tank first, make sure there are no leaks and upon verifying that, I close the gray tank and open the black tank valve. Then when the black tank is emptied, I close the black tank valve and I drain the rest of the gray tank.

Yes, I've had times when everything looked good yet the hose still leaked and I found it's much better to work on if there's gray water involved instead of black water.

Good Luck,

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (22-Angel, Lexi96.org), 1 girl (17), 2 boys (18 & 15). One Chinook dog (12).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

in some configurations it's helpful to add a 45 or 90 deg clear elbow. Not only will this possibly get the right angle, but allows you to see when your tanks are clean when flushing them.

As far as sealing, if it's clicked into the little bayonet tabs, it should seal, otherwise you have a faulty hose.

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the Rhino, the hose screws onto the connector and then locks into place with a locking ring. If you did not check it, I would.

See the following video at about 2:20:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJD5HONh31U

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/19 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once clicked, I’ve never seen a leak at the connection.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Timothy2001

Texas and NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, it was locked into place of that I am positive. It I am not missing a piece on the coach which is doubtful, the hose has to be faulty.

I will take a bit of pleasure in sending it back.

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/19 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a look at any RV Parts supplier(Amazon) and check the accessories available for your Rhino set up. By looking at the different parts you should be able to tell if your missing something and/or purchase another gadget to make things easier or less messy next time.(ie 90/45 degree angle, clear housing, solid extension etc etc)

* This post was edited 06/19/19 03:05pm by Acampingwewillgo *

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund, Senior Cavalier Rosie and Potter
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie and Mollie, Elvis Love You!

Rally's and get togethers-Lots

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thought, it may not be your connection. You could have crack somewhere in the pipes or a leak in the swivel (if there is one). If there was no leak on the up side of the blade valve then at least you could isolate it. You could check it by putting nice clean water in the grey and only opening that one.

I am sure you can find pictures of your same unit for sale somewhere and see a pic of the setup. Here is one with a video and pic 19 shows the wet bay.
39z

Messing with this is one of the reasons I installed a macerator. I put it on a remote switch. I hook the hose to the drain at the campsite and leave the valves open when camping (the macerator requires it to be running to open the flow) and when the tanks are full, I simply hit the remote FOB from the comfort of a seat inside and it dumps itself. I have a bypass installed in case something goes wrong and I need to do it manually (which I haven't in 2 years) I also have flush kits mounted on both tanks.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As everyone was reading your post I'm sure they were thinking about the movie RV, with Robin Williams. [emoticon]

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure about your Itasca, but on mine there was a 3 or 4 inch long by 3 inch diameter connector, looked like rubber, between the tank and the pipe. When I purchased it used the owner said he never used the toilet or the shower. The first night out in paved parking lot parking we left a long streak, followed by another in the morning. This plumbing fitting caused a lot of concern and grief until I actually identified the part as a common plumbing fitting used to connect three inch plastic lines together. Once I did that, any plumbing supply store can provide them, and I replaced both on the rig. Total cost was $8 each. About a 20 minute job, a bit messy.

Totally not sure if that is your problem or not, but it's worth checking. Flush everything out where you can and when you can before you begin.

My connectors were so rotten, they were literally falling apart and would have split open totally at any time.

Mike and Carole
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> A crappy experience
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS