cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Starter solonoid

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
Is anyone out here had any problems with their starter solenoid going bad? My has just went bad and I thought I would start a thread with some feedback on others having this issue also
11 REPLIES 11

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
Solonoid

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
FordDiesel250 wrote:
Is anyone out here had any problems with their starter solenoid going bad? My has just went bad and I thought I would start a thread with some feedback on others having this issue also

Are you talking about the solenoid or the relay?

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m thinking mine is starter, also. This unit is new to me, and Iโ€™m trying to learn all I can about it. Thanks!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Myself no. but I've assisted others with that problem.

Re: Charley67s winnie.

Now that problem I've had. New starter fixed it in most cases but Wait, there's more.

Had one car that sometimes would not re-start, acted like a dead battery, Woudl not restart. Once fully cooled it was ok.

Started polking around with volt meter probes and got a reading where there should not have been a reading.

Turns out alternator was not properly grounding and was "hangin in" and running the battery down a bit. then it would drop out and the battery would recover enough to re-start. Pulled a mounting bolt and installed a "Star" type lock washer (multiple points of contact) and Varoom.. Very rare this failure .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
Just saw your post. Hope itโ€™s still working for you. I have a 2002 Winnebago that turns over slowly and after driving about 100 miles, it will not crank until it cools down awhile. Iโ€™m hoping I can find my trouble, too.

ShermAngelia
Explorer
Explorer
My 1990 HR Imperial would crank very slow and not start. Mechanics took 6 weeks to not fix the problem. I bought a plug-in battery reader and discovered that the starter battery would read 13+ volts but drop to less than 7 volts instantly when I cranked the engine. I replaced that battery and it would still crank slow and not start but it would keep cranking. Staring at the wiring up front one day I noticed that the 2 wall-mount starter relays were so rusty that the rust was bridging across insulating washers. I was able to easily replace one at an auto parts store and the other one I disassembled and discovered that a spark-preventing grease had hardened on the contact-washer to the point that it had to be scraped off and then scrubbed with acetone. I reinstalled it and it always starts right up now even though it still cranks slow. The grease was preventing full contact between the large terminals which fed to the starter. Be cautious...I marked the relays #A and #B and tagged each wire as i.e. A R (#A right side terminal) or B L (#B left side terminal.) It was obvious whether the wire connected to the large or small terminals by the size of the fitting at the end of the wire. I'm glad I did it that way because there were 12 wires total. Anyway, that engine starting right up after sitting for months was one of the happiest moments in my life.

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
1995 Holiday Rambler Imperial with a N14 Cummins engine

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
FordDiesel250 wrote:

Well,
It would be nice to know what year/make/model/chassis/engine/mileage of what we're trying to help with here.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
The solenoids can be purchased/replaced separately (new) as opposed to buying the entire starter assembly. (new/rebuilt) Most stick and brick auto parts stores can help you. Online available too. It's a very common item. I suggest you buy an OEM replacement. Should be about $45.00. You'll be up and running in no time.

Chum lee

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
What do you want out of a 24 year old solenoid. For $30 you can replace the contacts which are the same as those in a BigBoy.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. On my F-53. I had a heck of a time diagnosing it.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.