cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires

elishaman
Explorer
Explorer
I need advise on replacing the china oem tires on my 5th wheel. It came with st235x75r15 brand x tires. I am considering going to a Bridgstone Duravis m700 light truck tire in a 225x75r16. The Bridgstone Duravis is within 1" height of the size of the 15" that are on it now. I have used the Duravis on other travel trailers with great results. Of course I would have to buy new 16" custom wheels which will run about $110 each. My other thought was to just replace the 15" tires that came on it with Goodyear Endurance. I have has bad experience with Goodyear marathons. I know the Endurance is suppose to be a completely redesigned tire trying to bring people with bad Marathon experience back to Goodyear. We are planning a cross country trip next year and the last thing I need to worry about is a catastrophic tire failure. Please let me now your opinions.
50 REPLIES 50

jelly_belly_bea
Explorer
Explorer
36 ft 5vr. ST235 80/r16 and a fish net speedo I carry lite. A little over 12000 lbs. loaded
has anyone driven highway 88 from reno to pine grove,ca.w/a 36ft 5th wheel

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
jelly belly bean wrote:
Too old to head stands.Just saying after 25 plus yrs. of pulling trailers the endurance tires were the best to my liking and I have gone through some tires in that amount of time and I always change tires in 3 -5 yrs no matter if I go 400 miles or 40000 miles.

Could you provide us with some information on what size trailer, and the weight. 15", or 16" wheels ,and tires . Also size of the Endurance

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Njmurvin wrote:
I recently had a blowout with my less than a year old GY Endurance. I was taking it out on a short test run for the new fan clutch I put on my truck. Pulling the trailer up a hill was the easiest way I knew to get it hot enough to engage the fan clutch. Since it was such a short run, I neglected to check the tire pressures before going. So, I blamed myself for the blowout. Turns out the pressure in the other tires were fine. It was a road hazard ... something long as it penetrated the tread and scarred the inside of the wheel. I probably drove the better part of a mile before getting off the freeway. The tire was shredded, of course. But surprisingly, the rim and trailer had no damage at all except where the hazard made contact inside the rim. AAA put on my spare, I went straight to Americas Tire and they replaced the tire for free (I had purchased road hazard insurance when I bought the tires). I did have to purchase another coupon for the new tire ($24).

GRRRR, I thought for a minute I was reading my FIRST legit ENDURANCE tire failure.

Oh well everybody keep trying!!!

Give it time :B

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Njmurvin wrote:
I recently had a blowout with my less than a year old GY Endurance. I was taking it out on a short test run for the new fan clutch I put on my truck. Pulling the trailer up a hill was the easiest way I knew to get it hot enough to engage the fan clutch. Since it was such a short run, I neglected to check the tire pressures before going. So, I blamed myself for the blowout. Turns out the pressure in the other tires were fine. It was a road hazard ... something long as it penetrated the tread and scarred the inside of the wheel. I probably drove the better part of a mile before getting off the freeway. The tire was shredded, of course. But surprisingly, the rim and trailer had no damage at all except where the hazard made contact inside the rim. AAA put on my spare, I went straight to Americas Tire and they replaced the tire for free (I had purchased road hazard insurance when I bought the tires). I did have to purchase another coupon for the new tire ($24).

GRRRR, I thought for a minute I was reading my FIRST legit ENDURANCE tire failure.

Oh well everybody keep trying!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jelly_belly_bea
Explorer
Explorer
Too old to head stands.Just saying after 25 plus yrs. of pulling trailers the endurance tires were the best to my liking and I have gone through some tires in that amount of time and I always change tires in 3 -5 yrs no matter if I go 400 miles or 40000 miles.

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wait til 4-5 years to see if they will cover 50%.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hold the record for the first Endurance failure/destroyed tire. However it was not the tires fault. Goodyear paid 50% of the cost of a replacement as a goodwill gesture.

I had to have picked this up just before pulling into our Arizona resort, as the tire was still going flat. If it had happen early in the trip, I would have never know the reason for the failure, and maybe blamed the tire.

Tires were 8 months old at the time, and had about 2000 miles of them. They now have around 4000 miles on the origin three and 2000 on the replacement. I have looked pretty closely at the truck and do not believe the bolt came from my truck, however when I go for the next recall I am going to have the dealer look under it. It is similar to my cab mount bolts, so maybe it is a Ford cab mount bolt that was not tightened correctly after a cab removal.

Chris

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
You guys are FUNNY!!!

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
jelly belly bean wrote:
just got back from a 3551.4 mile trip on endurance tires and they were great.Doing 65-70 mph on some of the worst roads I have ever seen on the west coast

Don’t be so quick to do head stands as you have not owned them “long enough”. :B

I agree :B

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
jelly belly bean wrote:
just got back from a 3551.4 mile trip on endurance tires and they were great.Doing 65-70 mph on some of the worst roads I have ever seen on the west coast

Don’t be so quick to do head stands as you have not owned them “long enough”. :B

Good point.
Come back in 35k-40k miles (5 to 7 years) and gives us a report on them.

Hell we had lots of fans of the old style Carlisle radial trail.....Tow MAX.....Marathons..... others..... who made it 3k-4k miles on the first long trip.

I would say from looking at the new gen Endurance or Carlisle HD they dropped that wheel barrow rounded sidewall profile.
I would bet in 5-7 years they will be hands down better than the older gen tires they replaced for RV trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
jelly belly bean wrote:

jelly_belly_bea
Explorer
Explorer

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK, we get it. Lets move on! :R
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine