Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Electric Vehicles? Towing? Hauling?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric Vehicles? Towing? Hauling?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next
1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/19 11:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd buy a 1 ton electric truck in a second if it had no less than a 500 mile range while towing a travel trailer, at night, with the heater on and could recharge overnight in maybe 5-6 hours.

Seriously, take my money!

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 02:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

HadEnough wrote:

Lwiddis wrote:

“Sane energy has to come from somewhere.”

Obviously. Energy made centrally is more efficient overall than energy made individually. Many are concentrating on storage of energy made during the day via solar for use in the night. Those storage ideas may well translate into vehicles. Your TC couldn’t be carried by a Model T but it can be carried by today’s vehicles.

Don’t fear the future. Without change there will be no progress.

I understand with scales of production, but what about the losses in the powerlines? I have a hard time believing that it is more efficient and environmentally sound to make the energy elsewhere. Unless of course, there is a lot of solar involved in the grid.

I think it's more of a NIBMY thing.

Can you show me where my gut reaction is wrong? Anything I can read online about that?

Self contained parking lots. A parking lot like this will supply twice the daily power needed for every commuter in this lot. The existing technology will adapt and grow to cover the additional 20 percent needed for EV's in most modern countries. Many members on this forum report the US grid is more of a third world affair and constantly on the edge of collapse but where there is a will there is a way and it'll eventually catch up.

[image]

These are really cool. I've started noticing these recently.

I had assumed they were not for the cars but for the company. I didn't realize the power was for the cars.

And... It's not grid dependent, but locally produced, distributed power production, which is the best way to go.

I've been off grid for decades now. Haven't paid an electric bill in decades. Plugged in my RV one time last summer for a couple nights when the generator broke and we needed air conditioning to live. . Never had a power failure because my electricity is made locally.

I guess it's the charging time that's the real issue to me, as someone that likes to travel large distances with a truck camper. Would make that impossible with current charging schemes.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 05:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as the "never work for RV" idea; Truthfully how many RVers only have 1 vehicle? Is there any reason that the family affluent enough to own a truck, camper, and another car or 2 should not have at least 1 that plugs in at home? For a long time they have had a range that would let the car do what most people do with their car.
I grew up on a farm, and in my early teens I bought what was the 3rd pickup for the farm. It was very rare for any of the pickups ran 100 miles in a week. If back then there had been solar panels on the roof of the machine shed, that could charge batteries at the shed, then transfer the power to the pickups (or a better on farm vehicle,with mounted panels) Now, on the same farm a lot of work we did with pickups is done with ATVs. Why do they need to be gas powered?
Somebody mentioned the "high cost of gas" across the water. Bet if the total cost of our gas was added in the comparison would be much closer.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/19 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Most people drive Tesla’s and other electric vehicles because of performance, handling, little maintenance, convenience. Not so much from any green perspective or saving money. Go for a test drive...and hang on. Nothing with a gas tank will touch em.Nothing with a gas tank will touch em.

Most of us who have switched to electric have done so because it’s just a better way to go for us and we like the vehicles. But, what works for my needs might not work for you. If you like gas cars better than buy one. Admittedly that will eventually become difficult in some places. BC and Quebec both have laws that prevent a vehicle with any emissions from being sold past 2040. Lots of time for new products by then. Nobody will want a gas car by then.

Better do your homework, lots of high performance gasoline engined cars will blow the doors off your toaster.[emoticon] MY cousin has a Tesla X SUV and while it's quick, it ain't as quick as a Shelby Mustang or a Dodge Dart RT. More expensive though.

I'd like to drive a toaster but I'm a farmer and I live in the boonies. A toaster just don't work and never will.

Only benefit I see is instant heat in the winter. Thats it.

A quick Google search says my X does 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds in Ludicrous Mode.

The same site says the Dodge & Ford are the same or slower, how does that “blow the doors off my toaster”?

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Most people drive Tesla’s and other electric vehicles because of performance, handling, little maintenance, convenience. Not so much from any green perspective or saving money. Go for a test drive...and hang on. Nothing with a gas tank will touch em.

Correction: Most are virtue signaling about being green.

Of course, they will outperform 0 to 60, that's the advantage of max torque from 0 RPM..but otherwise, ICE performance cars at half the price will win out. Heck on a 100 mile road track race, I would put my money on the econobox 4 banger of your choice because the tesla will run out of juice or have to be held back to save battery.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

What are we going to do when these become mandatory??

What are we going to do when it's all electric and zero emissions becomes mandatory?

If it's ever mandatory in the US it's decades away. If anything we'll see it mandatory in big cities with fleet vehicles like buses and taxis. Personally I would love an EV for my daily driver.

HadEnough wrote:

I'm a very off grid person and I'm disgusted by the on grid nature of this trend as well as the requirements in a few places that all vehicles must be electric now.

Don't look now, but you're on the Internet. You can't get much more of being a grid person than that. [emoticon]

HadEnough wrote:

But it doesn't work for RVing.

How do I take off from the east coast and drive to Wyoming or something? I can't. It doesn't have range or any ability to refuel (charge) in a reasonable amount of time.

Simply doesn't work for travelers.

Point is, this stuff doesn't work for RVing. No range, long recharge times means a terrible traveling experience.

Well, are you really sure about that? Two years ago I would have completely agreed. But things have really changed. Every year range is getting better. The biggest issue now is lack of grid for recharging.

I saw a story about a month ago that I cannot find now, but it was about a couple with a small trailer and a Tesla towing cross country. They spent a lot of time looking for charging stations, and planning their trip around them, so not something I would want to spend a vacation doing. But the point was made, it's possible. In a few more years you'll see plenty of charging stations, especially if Ford is successful with their electric F-150 and Rivian takes off.

I also don't think it would be a stretch to recharge at a CG with full hookups. It's not possible today, but someone will come up with a way to do it.

Here's an interesting thread to read. Yes, towing with electric is in it's infancy. But we aren't that far away from it being a common sight either.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EVs work as commuter cars... you can do a 60mile round trip and plug it in once you get home and let it charge for the next 10hr...and repeat.

For trucks (not being used as grocery getters), you need hundreds of miles on a fairly regular basis.

Unless there is an incredible breakthru in battery technology (and vaporware doesn't count), nothing will change. A gallon of gas has a couple orders of magnitude more energy than the equivalent weight and volume of battery.

Once you get a battery that can have even 25% of the energy density of gasoline, EV's will rule. The motors and controllers were far better 50yr ago...you just couldn't supply the juice to make them work.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

rk911 wrote:

T&P??
Member with strong dislike to electric vehicles especially Tesla.

Lies and d(*&-n lies.

How could I have a "strong dislike to electric vehicles" when I OWN ONE!!!

I would appreciate it if you would stop telling lies about me Time and give me an apology for the lies you just told.

OP, I don't know how old you are put electric vehicles are a LOOOOOOOOG way off to becoming main stream. I follow this stuff pretty closely and will tell you LI batteries will never make it in a heavy duty situation.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/19 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

EVs work as commuter cars... you can do a 60mile round trip and plug it in once you get home and let it charge for the next 10hr...and repeat.

For trucks (not being used as grocery getters), you need hundreds of miles on a fairly regular basis.

Unless there is an incredible breakthru in battery technology (and vaporware doesn't count), nothing will change. A gallon of gas has a couple orders of magnitude more energy than the equivalent weight and volume of battery.

Once you get a battery that can have even 25% of the energy density of gasoline, EV's will rule. The motors and controllers were far better 50yr ago...you just couldn't supply the juice to make them work.

Your 60 mile trip would be closer to 2 hours of charging at home not 10 hours. Then again, even if you are just connected to a 120 outlet and it takes that long who would care. It charges while you sleep.

If someone needs or wants a gas car there is nothing wrong with that. But they have a lot of things to improve before they have the convenience and features of a present day electric. If the features of a gasser better suit your lifestyle that’s what you should buy. But the “energy density of gasoline” doesn’t provide any advantage for me so I’ll stick with electric.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

advantages? convenience?? features???

'73,
rich, n9dko
Remember...if you don’t know where you’re going you're bound to end up somewhere else.
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric Vehicles? Towing? Hauling?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS