Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Electric Vehicles? Towing? Hauling?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric Vehicles? Towing? Hauling?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next
mikim

Rancho Cucamonga, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/19 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have two Tesla's and love them. Whenever a software update is available, the cars automatically download and install the updates. The Car's are also able to communicate with the "Mothership" to provide Tesla with information about the car and our driving profiles. It would be easy for the car to self report miles driven automatically, and the taxing authority could use this data to collect "road use" taxes.

Additionally, Tesla's cannot be unplugged unless the "FOB" is nearby.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/19 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The simple solution is to require an odometer reading at plate renewal time with a per mile tax levied at the time.

The big issue arising around here at the moment though is income tax. A bunch of people are going to be in for a rude awakening.

Most government offices and public buildings have EV charge stations, most are no charge. Some disgruntled employee filed a complaint to the nice tax people that SOME employees were getting their commute to work subsidized by free electricity to charge their EV’s.

In Canada this is a taxable benefit.

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/19 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only way I could see the TAX thing work is to come up with separate metered charging stations for EV's. If you charge at home you have to have the special metered charge unit installed that gets billed with the road use tax. All the public charging units should already charge a road use tax. All charging units could be designed to work at a strange voltage/cycle rate that require a special transformer that is metered to be used.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/19 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

HadEnough wrote:

Speaking of hooligans, how about the ones that park their Diesel bombers in the charging station parking spots just to mess around with electric car owners? These have to be some of the dumbest people I’ve ever heard of.

Should I be ALLOWED to park where it says "low emissions parking" ???

[image]

Hell no. A Dodge Ram 3500 is not a low emissions vehicle and it doesn't even fit in a single spot either. You need to park way out in the lot. Just like I do with my Ram 2500 that also takes up a little over one spot.

We have no right or moral authority to park our very large trucks right at the front.

Have some courtesy.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/19 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry it is low emissions.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/19 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I’m not American so don’t know much about emmision classifications in the US. How do they rate them. Low, high, medium kinda thing? . Does it depend on fuel? What’s an example of a high emmision truck?

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/19 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

The simple solution is to require an odometer reading at plate renewal time with a per mile tax levied at the time.

The big issue arising around here at the moment though is income tax. A bunch of people are going to be in for a rude awakening.

Most government offices and public buildings have EV charge stations, most are no charge. Some disgruntled employee filed a complaint to the nice tax people that SOME employees were getting their commute to work subsidized by free electricity to charge their EV’s.

In Canada this is a taxable benefit.

Odometer reading is requiered already here when geting new sticker each year

Maybe the Best way to tax everyone fairly is to use Tolls on highways

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/19 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I’m not American so don’t know much about emmision classifications in the US. How do they rate them. Low, high, medium kinda thing? . Does it depend on fuel? What’s an example of a high emmision truck?

I can breath the air from the exhaust.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/19 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I say let income taxes pay for the roads. Petrol tax should be used to clean the environment.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/19 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I say let income taxes pay for the roads. Petrol tax should be used to clean the environment.

not everyone pays income tax...only about 50% of americans pay income tax. i like the idea of taxing the energy at the charging station with a separate meter at home stations.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Remember...if you don’t know where you’re going you're bound to end up somewhere else.
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric Vehicles? Towing? Hauling?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS