Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Electric Vehicles? Towing? Hauling?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric Vehicles? Towing? Hauling?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Google Equivalent Single Axle Loads.

FHWA studies found that your average semi does the damage of 10,000 passenger cars. Even smaller single unit trucks are a few thousand times the damage."

Valhalla, while I'm not sure which side of the political fence you're riding from post to post (because this discussion is completely political), you are correct in the statement above that you posted.
IDK the exact or even round number, but heavy axle loads do exponentially more damage than light axle loads. No doubt, no debate.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/19 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Yes the person that reaps all the benefits of low wages can pay an increased share of the infrastructure to get that employee to work.

wow!

* This post was edited 06/28/19 02:23am by an administrator/moderator *

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/19 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Yes the person that reaps all the benefits of low wages can pay an increased share of the infrastructure to get that employee to work.

wow!
Illinois is actually a donor state paying more in Fed tax than received in fed benefits. More than CA anyway.

$1 is break even

[image]

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc........-are-givers-and-which-are-takers/361668/

* This post was edited 06/28/19 02:28am by an administrator/moderator *

Admin

Channel Islands Harbor, Ca.

Administrator

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 02:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please be careful folks
It's getting pretty close to politics
Thanks

Admin
RV.net

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/19 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

Aggressively? Now there's a wildly erroneous assumption.

First, it's not a commuter, I never said it was.

Secondly, there's a little thing called physics.

My ride has a 6.3 liter V8, her Honda has a 1.5 liter 4 cylinder.

But if you care about silly things like facts, my SUV actually gets far superior mileage to her Honda if you look at fuel consumption based on engine displacement.

My engine is 4.2 times the size of her's yet only uses 3.2 times the amount of fuel, so it's nearly 1/3 MORE fuel efficient in that aspect.

Per Passenger Mile, you choose a wildly inefficient mode of transport...that's your choice...you pay for your choice.

By your logic, if you yank a giant 3 ton 1000hp diesel out of a yacht and mate it to your SUV, its' even more efficient relative to displacement...but that's irrelevant. It's the job that gets done that counts.

Except, just like with my motorhomes a Prius can’t cant do “the job” I have the SUV for, it hauls my (6,000 pound) boat, jet skis, ATV’s, horses and tractors.

In fact, it gets FAR better mileage than the pickup I used to use for that task.

For efficient commuting I have my Tesla.

But if passenger mile is the yard stick by which the fees should be paid I’d be very happy getting the payments equalized.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok I'm all caught up now. Unless anyone has anything to add about th original topic (electric vehicles in case you all forgot), it's time to close this down.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

FHWA studies found that your average semi does the damage of 10,000 passenger cars. Even smaller single unit trucks are a few thousand times the damage."

Valhalla, while I'm not sure which side of the political fence you're riding from post to post (because this discussion is completely political), you are correct in the statement above that you posted.
IDK the exact or even round number, but heavy axle loads do exponentially more damage than light axle loads. No doubt, no debate.

There is no argument trucks wear pavement more than cars. What most don't understand is how much more taxes the trucks pay.
And another issue I have run into is the contractor will reduce the load limit for trucks working on a section of the road. They have told me it is because if the road collapses under the construction trucks it must be fixed before the next step, at company expense. (I always say they cut my pay because others didn't do their job right) But once the road is open max loads running and the taxpayers must pay again...

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

No political information. Concrete could care less if you are DNC, GOP, Independent, Green Pary, etc...

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/19 03:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on how long it takes to charge, where chargers are available and what the payload capacity is, I'd get one of these to comply with environmental regulations m.

500 mile range, crazy towing capacity

https://electrek.co/2019/07/03/tesla-pickup-truck-overtakes-ford-f150-talked-about/amp/

am1958

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/19 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's what Tesla is good at, talking... They are absolutely brilliant at leaving out key details too, like payload and range at maximum payload... and can you imagine the cost of this?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric Vehicles? Towing? Hauling?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS