Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Electric Vehicles? Towing? Hauling?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric Vehicles? Towing? Hauling?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 04:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Now if you want to talk about unfair, large commercial trucks pay no where close to their fair share. Even though they may pay thousands per year in fuel tax, they often do millions in damage to pavement.

This statement might be true, if fuel tax was all we had to pay in road use tax.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

But workplace charging is already on the rise and faster than anybody thought.

I expect workplace charging to fall out of fashion. Right now, it's a "green" thing that the companies can brag about.

When you are providing 1-5 parking spots, getting a tax break and good press for a relatively inexpensive feature...sure let's do it.

When 20-50% of cars are EVs:
- The tax breaks will disappear.
- The press won't care.
- Outfitting 100 parking spots gets much more expensive because your existing power supply likely can't handle it.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

Sorry, I guess in your rush to find a flaw in what I said you missed the first main point I made.

“I drive my SUV about the same distance (35k miles) per year as my neighbour drives her Honda.”

So no, 35k miles EACH is NOT ‘a lot more miles’, it’s EQUAL miles.

You must really drive aggressively if you getting less than 1/3 the MPG.

If you CHOOSE to drive such an inefficient vehicle to commute...that's your CHOICE. I'm not going to feel too bad for you.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

This statement might be true, if fuel tax was all we had to pay in road use tax.

No all in, trucks pay no where close to their fair share.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

No all in, trucks pay no where close to their fair share.

This is true, if you understand that all taxes the trucking industry pays is past on to their customers, and on to the final users of everything.
I would like to know what you call "All in" and "fair share"...

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

Sorry, I guess in your rush to find a flaw in what I said you missed the first main point I made.

“I drive my SUV about the same distance (35k miles) per year as my neighbour drives her Honda.”

So no, 35k miles EACH is NOT ‘a lot more miles’, it’s EQUAL miles.

You must really drive aggressively if you getting less than 1/3 the MPG.

If you CHOOSE to drive such an inefficient vehicle to commute...that's your CHOICE. I'm not going to feel too bad for you.

Aggressively? Now there's a wildly erroneous assumption.

First, it's not a commuter, I never said it was.

Secondly, there's a little thing called physics.

My ride has a 6.3 liter V8, her Honda has a 1.5 liter 4 cylinder.

But if you care about silly things like facts, my SUV actually gets far superior mileage to her Honda if you look at fuel consumption based on engine displacement.

My engine is 4.2 times the size of her's yet only uses 3.2 times the amount of fuel, so it's nearly 1/3 MORE fuel efficient in that aspect.

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilber1 wrote:

Bird Freak wrote:

rk911 wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Fuel tax is the primary source for road funding and is one of the most fair methods as it is directly tied to your use of the system...but EVs circumvent this.

Fair? Hardly!

I drive my SUV about the same distance (35k miles) per year as my neighbour drives her Honda.

Except, her Honda burns (pays taxes on) roughly 700 gallons of gas, while my SUV burns roughly 2,250 gallons, or approximately 325 % more and so I pay about 3.25 times more tax to do the same amount of driving.

Can someone say (with a straight face) that my ride creates more than 3 times the amount of maintenance of roads that her Honda does?

Mind you, she also has 4 kids that go to school for free, I have no children, but I pay more than 10 times the school taxes she does........

nothing is free, let's get that straight. and you chose a vehicle that gets 1/3 the gas mileage she gets. that's a choice. and presuming that your schools are funded via property tax you apparently own a home that's bigger, in a better neighborhood and/or newer than hers. that's also a choice. if the roles were reversed would you be complaining? got a better solution?

I think so. Drop the school tax and charge a fixed price for every kid you have in school. That will take the cost off the property owners that have never had kids and place it where it belongs. Apt dwellers, renters, illegal's with a bunch of kids all get a free education at home owners expense.

So who paid for your education? Not you.
My parents!

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^^ Private school? Or was it public funded?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/19 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

^^^^^ Private school? Or was it public funded?
Not that its anyones business but home schooled.

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bird Freak wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

Bird Freak wrote:

rk911 wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Fuel tax is the primary source for road funding and is one of the most fair methods as it is directly tied to your use of the system...but EVs circumvent this.

Fair? Hardly!

I drive my SUV about the same distance (35k miles) per year as my neighbour drives her Honda.

Except, her Honda burns (pays taxes on) roughly 700 gallons of gas, while my SUV burns roughly 2,250 gallons, or approximately 325 % more and so I pay about 3.25 times more tax to do the same amount of driving.

Can someone say (with a straight face) that my ride creates more than 3 times the amount of maintenance of roads that her Honda does?

Mind you, she also has 4 kids that go to school for free, I have no children, but I pay more than 10 times the school taxes she does........

nothing is free, let's get that straight. and you chose a vehicle that gets 1/3 the gas mileage she gets. that's a choice. and presuming that your schools are funded via property tax you apparently own a home that's bigger, in a better neighborhood and/or newer than hers. that's also a choice. if the roles were reversed would you be complaining? got a better solution?

I think so. Drop the school tax and charge a fixed price for every kid you have in school. That will take the cost off the property owners that have never had kids and place it where it belongs. Apt dwellers, renters, illegal's with a bunch of kids all get a free education at home owners expense.

So who paid for your education? Not you.
My parents!

Right, and others. but not you. School taxes are payback.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric Vehicles? Towing? Hauling?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS