Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Electric Vehicles? Towing? Hauling?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric Vehicles? Towing? Hauling?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/19 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Sorry it is low emissions.

I’m not American so don’t know much about emmision classifications in the US. How do they rate them. Low, high, medium kinda thing? . Does it depend on fuel? What’s an example of a high emmision truck?

I can breath the air from the exhaust.

So you could run the vehicle in a garage with the door closed with no I’ll effects...like death?

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/19 12:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mikim wrote:

We have two Tesla's and love them. Whenever a software update is available, the cars automatically download and install the updates. The Car's are also able to communicate with the "Mothership" to provide Tesla with information about the car and our driving profiles. It would be easy for the car to self report miles driven automatically, and the taxing authority could use this data to collect "road use" taxes.

Additionally, Tesla's cannot be unplugged unless the "FOB" is nearby.

Good grief ... I'd NEVER own a vehicle who's continued good performance depended upon Internet (or satellite) access.

It sounds like Tesla vehicles are assuming ownership in densely populated areas or otherwise in areas that just happen to have good Internet (or satellite?) access. Our vehicles are often in many places "off the grid" with respect to cellular tower or satellite signals.

One of the GREAT features of fossil fuel powered vehicles is their off the grid self-containment -> for hundreds of miles between fuel-ups and thousands of miles between tune-ups.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/19 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

The simple solution is to require an odometer reading at plate renewal time with a per mile tax levied at the time.

The big issue arising around here at the moment though is income tax. A bunch of people are going to be in for a rude awakening.

Most government offices and public buildings have EV charge stations, most are no charge. Some disgruntled employee filed a complaint to the nice tax people that SOME employees were getting their commute to work subsidized by free electricity to charge their EV’s.

In Canada this is a taxable benefit.

Odometer reading is requiered already here when geting new sticker each year

Maybe the Best way to tax everyone fairly is to use Tolls on highways

Here yes, everywhere NO, and you don’t pay road taxes at time of plate renewal either.

But just wait, I’m sure Big Dougie will come up with a few more surprises, he seems to have a copy of Mike Harris’ “NO Sense Revolution” on his bedside table ....

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

mikim wrote:

We have two Tesla's and love them. Whenever a software update is available, the cars automatically download and install the updates. The Car's are also able to communicate with the "Mothership" to provide Tesla with information about the car and our driving profiles. It would be easy for the car to self report miles driven automatically, and the taxing authority could use this data to collect "road use" taxes.

Additionally, Tesla's cannot be unplugged unless the "FOB" is nearby.

Good grief ... I'd NEVER own a vehicle who's continued good performance depended upon Internet (or satellite) access.

It sounds like Tesla vehicles are assuming ownership in densely populated areas or otherwise in areas that just happen to have good Internet (or satellite?) access. Our vehicles are often in many places "off the grid" with respect to cellular tower or satellite signals.

One of the GREAT features of fossil fuel powered vehicles is their off the grid self-containment -> for hundreds of miles between fuel-ups and thousands of miles between tune-ups.

Nope. Has nothing to do with continued good performance. Software updates provide improvements to varioys functions. Everything from braking to instrumentation, power curves, safety, navigation. Things other vehicles require you to buy a new model year for.

Tesla’s are not dependant on Satelite (not a thing) or internet. But if you are at home connected to your home wifi updates can occur.

Tesla’s or other EV’s don’t need tuneups...ever. There’s nothing to tune up. Tesla’s travel “100’s of miles between fuel ups”. When was the last time you fueled up at home? [emoticon]

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I’m not American so don’t know much about emmision classifications in the US. How do they rate them. Low, high, medium kinda thing? . Does it depend on fuel? What’s an example of a high emmision truck?

So you could run the vehicle in a garage with the door closed with no I’ll effects...like death?

Not sure want to give it a try?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/19 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Nope. Has nothing to do with continued good performance. Software updates provide improvements to varioys functions. Everything from braking to instrumentation, power curves, safety, navigation. Things other vehicles require you to buy a new model year for.

Tesla’s are not dependant on Satelite (not a thing) or internet. But if you are at home connected to your home wifi updates can occur.

Tesla’s or other EV’s don’t need tuneups...ever. There’s nothing to tune up. Tesla’s travel “100’s of miles between fuel ups”. When was the last time you fueled up at home? [emoticon]

Unless your WIFI connection goes down during said update...

Exactly what happened to my friends Tesla, the car is disabled during the update so you can’t drive it away from the signal, but they forgot about connection failures.

It happens so often Tesla tows the car for free to reboot it for you.

Free updates, handy, losing your car for a day to reboot it? Not so handy.

As for feeling up, not everyone lives in a city, I have my own fuel tanks in my yard.

At the present time EV’s are for urbanites who don’t venture further afield than a day trip to remember what green scenery is.

If I drive my Tesla’s to the cottage in the cold weather they have to left plugged in to maintain warm enough temps to keep the batteries from turning into pumpkins. You don’t want to know how many kw’s it takes to keep a car heated and charged over a cold northern Ontario weekend.

The single smallish wet cell battery in my gas burner cranks over that 6.3 liter V8 just fine after a couple days of sitting though.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Unless your WIFI connection goes down during said update...

Exactly what happened to my friends Tesla, the car is disabled during the update so you can’t drive it away from the signal, but they forgot about connection failures.

It happens so often Tesla tows the car for free to reboot it for you.

Free updates, handy, losing your car for a day to reboot it? Not so handy.

As for feeling up, not everyone lives in a city, I have my own fuel tanks in my yard.

At the present time EV’s are for urbanites who don’t venture further afield than a day trip to remember what green scenery is.

If I drive my Tesla’s to the cottage in the cold weather they have to left plugged in to maintain warm enough temps to keep the batteries from turning into pumpkins. You don’t want to know how many kw’s it takes to keep a car heated and charged over a cold northern Ontario weekend.

The single smallish wet cell battery in my gas burner cranks over that 6.3 liter V8 just fine after a couple days of sitting though.

With those conditions best to stick with a gasser. Right tool for the right job.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Not sure want to give it a try?

Ahhhh. So maybe not breathable after all.

Too funny. [emoticon]

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As for the road tax/ highway maintenance? Why not put the interstates under control of the DoD? Then there would be no limit on money spent to build or repair...

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

My sister in NC just put solar on her roof, Her electric bill dropped a lot and she is retired so will be charging in the daytime. This makes good sense to me and her.

As I said "VAST MAJORITY".

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric Vehicles? Towing? Hauling?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.