Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Electric Vehicles? Towing? Hauling?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric Vehicles? Towing? Hauling?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next
wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/19 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Mind you, she also has 4 kids that go to school for free, I have no children, but I pay more than 10 times the school taxes she does........

Someone else paid for your generation to go to school, now it is your turn to pay.

* This post was edited 06/23/19 09:01pm by wilber1 *

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 05:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

Better solution? You bet. Pay tuition, pay per mile you drive, any for what YOU use, not for someone else’s use.

Your house is on fire. What is your credit card number?
Did you use any of the commons to get what you got?

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/19 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

Better solution? You bet. Pay tuition, pay per mile you drive, any for what YOU use, not for someone else’s use.

Completely irrelevant, everyone who owns property pays real estate taxes which pays for fire protection, even vacant land can still have grass or forest fires.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/19 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilber1 wrote:

Quote:

Mind you, she also has 4 kids that go to school for free, I have no children, but I pay more than 10 times the school taxes she does........

Someone else paid for your generation to go to school, now it is your turn to pay.

Absolutely they did, but the change to add full school board contribution to “non-residential” property started in the early 90’s.

Another big part of the inequity is that just because you PAY school taxes somewhere does NOT mean your children can go to school there. A number of years back there was a protracted teachers strike. A friends son was at risk of losing his final year of high school. He thought he’d enroll in the school near the family’s summer place. Nope! They refused saying his family ‘lived’ elsewhere.

In the Township where my summer place is the permanent population is around 600, but during the summer months that swells to over 20k. The summer people are VERY affluent for the most part, the average cottage is 4k to 12k square feet and worth many millions of dollars. Thus the school board is not hurting for money at all, why should they be ‘wealthy’ when they have so few students when city schools are ‘starving’?

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

I haven't read past the third page posted three days ago so this may have already been said:

The logical solution to the recharge downtime while travelling is to create an integrated infrastructure allowing to quickly and safely replace the vehicles discharged battery pack with a freshly charged pack. You would pull into a 'fueling station', an attendant will remove your pack and install a fully charged pack. This could take a few minutes and even be automated to where no human involvement is needed. The vehicle needs to be designed to allow this.

The problems:
- It needs to be universal for all manufacturers. Not as easy as it sounds once you get past 3-4 models.
- A gas station might fill up 1000 cars per day. That means you would need close to 1000 battery packs per gas station. At 10k-15k per battery pack, that would be 10-15 million in stock.

You could cut the stock a bit fewer if you are charging the spent battery packs but that creates other issues. If they can put 80kwh into a battery pack in 30min would require, around 1350amps @ 120v per battery pack. To top up 1000 packs at 30min each would require around a 28,000 amp service (probably use higher voltage but puts it in perspective how much the station would need). Also, this assumes evenly distributed swaps over a 24hr period. With spiking demand in the morning and evening, likely would be higher.

No swapping battery packs is not reasonable.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Fuel tax is the primary source for road funding and is one of the most fair methods as it is directly tied to your use of the system...but EVs circumvent this.

Fair? Hardly!

I drive my SUV about the same distance (35k miles) per year as my neighbour drives her Honda.

Except, her Honda burns (pays taxes on) roughly 700 gallons of gas, while my SUV burns roughly 2,250 gallons, or approximately 325 % more and so I pay about 3.25 times more tax to do the same amount of driving.

Can someone say (with a straight face) that my ride creates more than 3 times the amount of maintenance of roads that her Honda does?

If you are burning 325% more fuel, you are presumably driving a lot more miles (even with MPG difference)...so yeah, you are creating a lot more need for road costs.

It's not perfect but it's one of the most fair tax systems.

* This post was edited 06/24/19 09:55am by valhalla360 *

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

2112 wrote:

I haven't read past the third page posted three days ago so this may have already been said:

The logical solution to the recharge downtime while travelling is to create an integrated infrastructure allowing to quickly and safely replace the vehicles discharged battery pack with a freshly charged pack. You would pull into a 'fueling station', an attendant will remove your pack and install a fully charged pack. This could take a few minutes and even be automated to where no human involvement is needed. The vehicle needs to be designed to allow this.

The problems:
- It needs to be universal for all manufacturers. Not as easy as it sounds once you get past 3-4 models.
- A gas station might fill up 1000 cars per day. That means you would need close to 1000 battery packs per gas station. At 10k-15k per battery pack, that would be 10-15 million in stock.

You could cut the stock a bit fewer if you are charging the spent battery packs but that creates other issues. If they can put 80kwh into a battery pack in 30min would require, around 1350amps @ 120v per battery pack. To top up 1000 packs at 30min each would require around a 28,000 amp service (probably use higher voltage but puts it in perspective how much the station would need). Also, this assumes evenly distributed swaps over a 24hr period. With spiking demand in the morning and evening, likely would be higher.

No swapping battery packs is not reasonable.

Again. Can’t compare gas stations to charge stations. The vast majority (around 95 percent depending on region) of charging is done at night at home in a driveway. There will never be a need for as many DCFC stations as there is for gas stations. That’s one of the reasons people buy EV’s. No more wasting time at gas stations.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

Completely irrelevant, everyone who owns property pays real estate taxes which pays for fire protection, even vacant land can still have grass or forest fires.

My point is that some things, like fire protection, roads, law enforcement, and schools are common goods, and should be paid for by all. And at the time of greatest growth of the middle class wealth a large percentage of the population was also getting their collage education funded by the people.

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

Quote:

Absolutely they did, but the change to add full school board contribution to “non-residential” property started in the early 90’s.

Another big part of the inequity is that just because you PAY school taxes somewhere does NOT mean your children can go to school there. A number of years back there was a protracted teachers strike. A friends son was at risk of losing his final year of high school. He thought he’d enroll in the school near the family’s summer place. Nope! They refused saying his family ‘lived’ elsewhere.

In the Township where my summer place is the permanent population is around 600, but during the summer months that swells to over 20k. The summer people are VERY affluent for the most part, the average cottage is 4k to 12k square feet and worth many millions of dollars. Thus the school board is not hurting for money at all, why should they be ‘wealthy’ when they have so few students when city schools are ‘starving’?

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/19 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilber1 wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

Quote:

Agreed, there are inequities but don’t complain about paying for someone’s education because someone else paid for yours. I’m also not having much sympathy for anyone who can afford multi million dollar cottages and complains about it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric Vehicles? Towing? Hauling?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.