Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Turning your heat off at home while in Florida
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Turning your heat off at home while in Florida

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
John&Joey

Summer-North,Winter-South

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/19 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a FYI. A sewer system in extreme cold climates is designed with the idea someone will be living there running hot showers and doing dishes. This water will keep the pipe from the house out (and it’s surrounding ground) from freezing.

If no one is around for a length of time do not run water into the sewer. Otherwise it will freeze an backup.

Also in extreme cold area’s if your foundation is in clay you run the risk of a lateral crack about four feet up from the floor. Not worth the expense of scrimping on heat in the basement. The heat escape will help keep the frost away.

joebedford

Finally back home in the north

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, I was thinking of changing my condensate drain from a hole through the wall to the septic. The wisdom seems to be that's the worst thing to do - occasional small runs of cold water will freeze in the septic line for sure (if there's nothing else to keep it thawed).

John&Joey

Summer-North,Winter-South

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/19 12:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could always run it to a sump then out to the septic. Large runs of water should be OK. It’s just those small ones that will create the ice dams.

joebedford

Finally back home in the north

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would if I had a sump pump.

That's next on the list if the insulation doesn't work.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

Any structure with water pipes in the outside walls is just asking for problems. That's a NO-NO! Keep your water pipes on interior walls or wrap them with permanent self regulating heat tape like this offering from Amazon:

EasyHeat 2102 Freeze Free Heating Cable

Way back in 1995, we bought our cottage, not knowing there was a heating cable wrapped around an overhead water pipe. I arrived at the cottage one Friday to find the ceiling on the floor and everything soaked/ruined.

As we did a teardown, we discovered that the heat tape had started a fire, which melted a soldered joint in the pipe which then separated, which flooded the ceiling and presumably the house until it somehow tripped the breaker to the well pump.....

Personally, I will NEVER trust a heat tape.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Turning your heat off at home while in Florida
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS